British Speedway Forum

Cradley 2016

mdmc82

I wasn't watching league racing at this level back when Purchase first rode but based on the couple of comments made here it sounds to me that he should be given an assessed 3½/4 point average. He certainly shouldn't be a 3 given previous experience but should get a reduction having been out of the sport for so long and having not ridden at any higher level than reserve/second string in the third tier. If he averaging in the region of 4-4½ then simply rounding down to 4 seems perfectly fair to me. I can see a case for perhaps 3½ if his previous average was only a fraction over 4. His average would have had to be a high 4 to justify it being now 4½. I guess the short version of what I trying to get across is round it down to the nearest half point.

• Like 1

There are around a dozen riders from last season on an average between 4 and 5 so there are plenty of riders who could be approached. We have to trust that our promotion team have either exhausted those options or seen something in Purchase that makes him worth the risk on 4½ (or both!).

What's noticeable by its relative absence is riders on 3.something. Most riders who started last season on 3 either averaged 4+ or failed to achieve 3 so start on 3 again. That makes for a tricky decision in some cases. Do clubs give riders another chance and hope that a season or two under their belt was all they needed to then kick-on or ditch them, many still very young, and sign somebody new on a 3?! Luke Harris is a typical example of this.