British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2016

Don't see what he would bring to Berwick with his seemingly endless problems he's been having... We have enough of them with our crocked boys at the minute... Bit shocked Glasgow have got rid but that's a case of being desperate for success now with all the money that has been plowed in!

And Berwick don't want success?

• Like 1

Wind the clock back to the start of last season and I was so excited to see Ben Barker riding for Berwick. He was going to be the big hitter we had been lacking for so long. But sadly it never worked out. We had seen Ben before at Berwick and we thought he was perfect for the big sweeps around the boards. He started the season off on obviously bad equipment, was injured early on and there were numerous rumours about his personal life circulating. He seemed to get things together at Peterborough at the end of last season and I thought the move to Glasgow this season was perfect for him. Whatever the reasons, unfortunately he is a shadow of the rider he was a couple of years ago. It would be great if he could get to where he was, because I thought he had a great style and was indeed as brave as they come. Whatever the reason for his slump, I only hope he can sort it out.

• Like 1

And Berwick don't want success?

You weren't exactly slumming it with him in the team though.. Aye.. You'd had a couple of bad meetings but they were against teams stronger than you IMO. Thought people were saying his average had increased?

Sad but true . It looked like a masterstroke signing Ben on his current average , but it just hasn't worked out . As you say , Somerset was shocking and his first ride on Monday night was even worse . So welcome Rene and onwards and upwards

worst kept secret in british speedway :)

Such is life. We have struggled for years at Glasgow and now we get criticism for our owners rebuilding the stadium and putting out a better team. :neutral:

Not from me you don't

• Like 3

I still think Ben would have came good don't see the Bach signing making us any stronger in the long term but reading the website seems there was things behind the scenes on Ben's side that swayed the decision.

Wish Ben future success wherever he ends up.

who would fill Berwick's needs at the moment?

Not many riders kicking about?

Not many good riders who would commit mid season, or arn't involved in under 21s. What is available are riders who are under performing for what ever reason, be it equipment or be it other reasons. Berwick, unlike Glasgow do not have sponsorship available to help a rider through is woes.

• Like 1