British Speedway Forum

Poole 2016

I did think it odd myself that none of the usual avid Echo readers had posted it. I saw it on Twitter at about 8am but didn't bother to post it then as I felt sure that one of the Poole fans would. I posted it over 4 hours later when I realised nobody had.

I would if i was at a laptop, but my phone doesn't like doing links!

Development of British riders over developing non-Brit riders. The thread I got the info re BV & Cov was the World team under 21 qualifier where Brit team seems to be struggling.

So was finding out which promoters are seeking to develop Brit riders and which were simply there for the glory of winning pots.

No conclusion drawn yet, just trying to suss the situation out.

• Like 2

Development of British riders over developing non-Brit riders. The thread I got the info re BV & Cov was the World team under 21 qualifier where Brit team seems to be struggling.

So was finding out which promoters are seeking to develop Brit riders and which were simply there for the glory of winning pots.

How many years has the NDL been going now ? Its worked for some but not all will make it. Its as simple as that. At least ever EL club has to have two brits in the side. Its a start surely, save for the stupid rules.

Surely it's every promoters job to put out a competitive team or they won't get the fans through the door. Yes it would be fantastic if there were enough british riders to spread out amongst the EL and PL but there aren't. Having 2 is a good start as has been said but where are the others coming from?

Surely it's every promoters job to put out a competitive team or they won't get the fans through the door. Yes it would be fantastic if there were enough british riders to spread out amongst the EL and PL but there aren't. Having 2 is a good start as has been said but where are the others coming from?

BYC >> MDL/NJL >> NL >> PL/EL

If BV and Coventry can find 10 between them perhaps MF is looking in the wrong place, I dont think he is going to find young Brit riders in Poland, Denmark, Sweden or Aussie (Tai being the exception)

UK speedway appears to be at rock bottom, something as got to be done to start the process of bringing it up to somewhere better place then it is.

Where do Poole get their young Brits from? I see they don't have a NL nor PL team but maybe they have strong ties to a club(s) in those leagues

• Like 2

If BV and Coventry can find 10 between them perhaps MF is looking in the wrong place, I dont think he is going to find young Brit riders in Poland, Denmark, Sweden or Aussie (Tai being the exception)

UK speedway appears to be at rock bottom, something as got to be done to start the process of bringing it up to somewhere better place then it is.

Where do Poole get their young Brits from? I see they don't have a NL nor PL team but maybe they have strong ties to a club(s) in those leagues

Well we mainly get our riders from the Isle, Somerset and Plymouth. Ellis Perks and Kyle the only British rider's i know we own. Even looking at Plymouth we just want Holder from them next year. He is already a Poole asset like Brady was last year, we just don't seem to get them. I'm afriad unless Kyle stays at reserve next year he will not be in the main team. He needs a year at somewhere like Leicester then he should come back to Poole. Matt likes to get riders who are future GP stars and I can't see any young Brits apart from Lambert and maybe Ellis who have a chance.

Mate, Matt never looks in the wrong place. He's got his eye everywhere, Britain Sweden Denmark poland Australia and the rest of Europe, Clearly you didn't read my previous post.

Edited by Starman2006

MF looks in the same places as CVS, Rosco and Hemsley - but the cupboard is bare!!

Ok, so there is a rule that says there has to be at least 2 Brit riders in a team, perhaps there ought to be a max of how many non-Brit riders with the aim of encouraging development of Brit riders - to kick start British speedway.

Whats the point of having a pocketful of money, spending it on the best riders you can get, to win a league year after year, when British speedway is creaking.

Its been said before, maybe too many leagues, maybe too many promotors looking after there own interests rather then the biggest picture.

Swindon losing a track, Coventry losing a track, Leicester really struggling..... who/whats next, how many teams in the EL 2017/18/19?

I only been back into speedway for the last 3 years and mainly followed the world scene, but following threads on this forum I can see British speedway is struggling, has been for a number of years, cant see many positive efforts to develop young Brits (cause some with influence can buy non Brits.

There will need to be some more pain in British speedway before it starts to develop into a force in world speedway. Cant see any strong movements towards that at the moment.

and if this post now seems to be having a pop at Poole, maybe it is, but trying to be positive.

On another thread someone stated BV and Coventry have 5 riders each in their team who are British.... how many do Poole have in their team (not on their books)

I hardly think that Belle Vue can take much of the credit for nurturing the talent that is Scott Nicholls (started over 20 years ago at Ipswich and Peterborough) and all of Cov's Brits started elsewhere.

BUT

Both should get massive credit for persisting with National League teams. Most of the riders they develop will never make it to the EL, but it is vital to the survival of British speedway that riders like Martin Knuckey and Rob Shuttleworth get those opportunities.

Surely the end goal of a clubs existence depends entirely on the club, location, general fan base, club history, fan expectation etc?

Poole as a club have a decent fan base, budget, history etc they have earned the right to be a club who attempt to win things, that being said though… by running a track and affording British riders the chance to race there 4/5/6 or 7 times a year then Poole (Ford) are doing their bit for British riders, that’s not even taking into account the NL team they run or the part they played in the development of riders like Nicholls, Richardson and Loram who seemed to really polish their skills up at Poole (not to say other tracks didn’t play a part).

It is entirely possible rules could be put in place by the governing body to gift wrap even more chances to British riders, but a race jacket doesn’t make a rider, and, with all due respect to them, riders like Benji Compton and Ben Hopwood (both Young Brits who have been given the chance at Poole) show that.

There is also the question around this, does a watered down product and a gift wrapped team place actually “develop” riders to World Standard or is it far better to develop by working towards a team place and then once it is earned racing a higher standard of rider, a standard of rider Poole have generally brought to this country.

There is loads of chicken and egg scenarios to consider re rider development, what clubs should or shouldn’t do and also re where Britain once stood on the world stage.

Also, maybe…and I do say this in a slightly contrary way…..maybe, Britain still produce riders to the same level they always have but other countries have just got a lot better than they used to be due to better access to equipment, facilities and funding, maybe Brits have just found their place in the chain of ability which was a false posisition previously.

Edited by The Mockingjay

the problem with developing younger british riders isn't helped by the system in place.

it has nothing to do with Poole or Wolves or Swindon directly.

the NL should be where the young riders start careers, not prolong the careers of aging has beens like Tony Atkin.

from there they should filter into the PL, perhaps similar to the EDR rules. this is where the problem is that PL teams are stopping the progression of younger riders, not all of them however.

the EDR is a good idea in theory but the EL is not a place to develop young riders.

• Like 1

the problem with developing younger british riders isn't helped by the system in place.

it has nothing to do with Poole or Wolves or Swindon directly.

the NL should be where the young riders start careers, not prolong the careers of aging has beens like Tony Atkin.

from there they should filter into the PL, perhaps similar to the EDR rules. this is where the problem is that PL teams are stopping the progression of younger riders, not all of them however.

the EDR is a good idea in theory but the EL is not a place to develop young riders.

Yep, the development should start in the NDL, and progression there after. So you promote into the PL the Pl to the EL. its the only way forward. You have to ask the question, how the hell the likes of havvy scott Mark Lee etc got to the top..