British Speedway Forum

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

stratton

Really?

That would be interesting as the majority of people who have stopped going did so long before the playoffs came along.

There's still a heck of a lot stopped going since 2002 though.

I wouldn't think anybody has stopped going because of the play-offs per se, but they could well be a contributory factor for some, the straw that broke the camel's back for others. Just one thing among loads but a factor nevertheless.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

There's still a heck of a lot stopped going since 2002 though.

There's also a heck of a lot of sports that have playoffs, and don't suffer as a result.

Which suggests the issue isn't the play-offs but something else....

The reality is its a combination of things.. the playoffs not being one of them.

There's also a heck of a lot of sports that have playoffs, and don't suffer as a result.

The reality is its a combination of things.. the playoffs not being one of them.

Really?

I'd agree it's a combination of things but Heaven knows how you can be sure the play-offs aren't one of them.

Really?

I'd agree it's a combination of things but Heaven knows how you can be sure the play-offs aren't one of them.

Simply because there is absolutely no logical reason as to why it would be.

Basically the argument we've seen presented is..

"I don't go to speedway anymore because of the playoffs. I only go to the playoffs now"

That makes sense.

The thing is Witcher i am not against the play /offs at all,but you still have to have an outright CHAMPION surely.Is it right that a team like Birmingham the other year won nothing were points clear never changed there team yet were not recognised. I think the play/offs with the Champion and the other three teams would be great it is not like we are overloaded with home fixtures is is.?And in Football as a ex) they have play/offs but still have an outright CHAMPION of that league. Edited by sidney

The thing is Witcher i am not against the play /offs at all,but you still have to have an outright CHAMPION surely.Is it right that a team like Birmingham the other year won nothing were points clear never changed there team yet were not recognised. I think the play/offs with the Champion and the other three teams would be great it is not like we are overloaded with home fixtures is is.?And in Football as a ex) they have play/offs but still have an outright CHAMPION of that league.

The big thing difference is that in Football play offs there is a massive carrot for winning them hence why fans watch them ...having a play off cup that does not have the league title on line means nothing to the fans and hence why no one would watch it ...that is why we don't have the craven shield Jack Young play off cup any more as they have been tried and never worked ..

Edited by orion

The thing is Witcher i am not against the play /offs at all,but you still have to have an outright CHAMPION surely.Is it right that a team like Birmingham the other year won nothing were points clear never changed there team yet were not recognised. I think the play/offs with the Champion and the other three teams would be great it is not like we are overloaded with home fixtures is is.?And in Football as a ex) they have play/offs but still have an outright CHAMPION of that league.

We do have an outright champion. That is the team that wins the Grand Final.

Just like the winner of the Darts Premier League is the winner of the final.

Just like the winner or the Grand Final in Rugby League are the Outright Champions and so on.

As for Birmingham, so what? They got beat in the final, good season, came up just short. You can't say "Oh they should have been champions" etc as you don't know if they would have finished top. Would the pressure have got to them earlier?

One thing you could do is give the team that finishes top of the league a bigger advantage. Perhaps a certain pts start for example.

We do have an outright champion. That is the team that wins the Grand Final.

Just like the winner of the Darts Premier League is the winner of the final.

Just like the winner or the Grand Final in Rugby League are the Outright Champions and so on.

As for Birmingham, so what? They got beat in the final, good season, came up just short. You can't say "Oh they should have been champions" etc as you don't know if they would have finished top. Would the pressure have got to them earlier?

One thing you could do is give the team that finishes top of the league a bigger advantage. Perhaps a certain pts start for example.

Why do they have outright CHAMPONS in the football league? is it to REWARD the best team over the entire season no different to a GP series.

Why do they have outright CHAMPONS in the football league? is it to REWARD the best team over the entire season no different to a GP series.

Of course it is .but has been explain Speedway needs something to keep the season going and make sure that fans keeps going ...Football has promotion and relegation , Champions league spots plays off that can get you up a division plenty to keep the fans going

Of course it is .but has been explain Speedway needs something to keep the season going and make sure that fans keeps going ...Football has promotion and relegation , Champions league spots plays off that can get you up a division plenty to keep the fans going

But with a champion and play/offs as well the season is still alive for the top four it even gives the Champion a chance of the double what is wrong with that.?

But with a champion and play/offs as well the season is still alive for the top four it even gives the Champion a chance of the double what is wrong with that.?

Already told the fans won't go ..why do think the pl don't have a play off cup anymore ?

The crowds in the play/offs were poor on other years as well, if we are honest something has to change.

Were they ? Edinburgh and Glasgow and Poole and Belle Vue finals were packed . not sure why you would change meetings that give the only big crowds you are likely to get in a season .

Were they ? Edinburgh and Glasgow and Poole and Belle Vue finals were packed . not sure why you would change meetings that give the only big crowds you are likely to get in a season .

Yet the league meetings at home v Lakeside (ect) the crowds were sometimes terrible, so in the play offs the club only got back the money they lost earlier in the season.

Yet the league meetings at home v Lakeside (ect) the crowds were sometimes terrible, so in the play offs the club only got back the money they lost earlier in the season.

And why would that meeting have more fans if there were no play offs ?

And why would that meeting have more fans if there were no play offs ?

That is what i am saying something has to change,you have to admit the crowds were really quite poor at times.Swindon have generally over the years had excellent crowds how many times did it hit 1,500 when it was 17 pound a head not many i think.