British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2016

It's tomorrow morning, it's Simon Stead.

Risky IMO. 10.41 average he's going to have to be as good as ever if Sheffield will be successful and there's no telling how much this latest injury has taken out of him.

If he does though, then awesome top two but again is it wise spending almost 19 points on just two riders? That's gonna leave a hell of a tail..

Risky IMO. 10.41 average he's going to have to be as good as ever if Sheffield will be successful and there's no telling how much this latest injury has taken out of him.

If he does though, then awesome top two but again is it wise spending almost 19 points on just two riders? That's gonna leave a hell of a tail..

Still two more riders to go yet ;)

Big welcome back to Steady, I was there that awful night at Rye House and thought we might have seen the last of Simon on a speedway bike so great that he's back. 10.41 is a big average to maintain but I honestly don't believe Steady would have come back if he didn't think he could ride to somewhere near that level.

• Like 2

Possible Combo's

Skidmore/ Berge

Bellego/ Simon Lambert

Howarth/ Berge

Bellego/ Ellis

or maybe

Douglas/ Berge.

[/quote Can't be Bellego / Lambert (just over the points limit by my reckoning!)

Not Douglas / Berge - Douglas at Scunthorpe next year.

Bellego / Berge or Bellego / Ellis (two 'Frenchmen') might be possibilities.

I think some people are forgetting how good Simon Stead is. He'll still get 10+ How many riders when they come back from injury actually struggle badly? Most carry on as before.

very well said, he is an exceptional PL rider and he will be the rider to beat again this year, should maintain his average as he has this average for a reason, injuries are part and parcel of the sport and they all get back on their bike and carry on, very good 1&5 Sheffield have, will do well in the pairs i would imagine. and if they throw in another good heat leader they have the makings of a good team.

• Like 5

Great to have Steady back for 2016, he will be as fit as ever because he did not try to rush back for end of season and has been working on his fitness for months already, his machinery is always top notch so have no doubt Simon Stead will still be one of the main men in PL.

As for this team so far it has to be one of the most exciting looking teams in Premier League and to make it better all local lads so far, it is a shame Ashley Birks is taking a year out.

Maybe 2017 we will have a full team of local lads !

Welcome back Steady, there's no way Sheffield could leave him out once he declared he would be fit and ready to go for next season.

Yes his average is big and he might not keep to it, but there's no denying he'll still be one of the best number 1's in the premier league and even if he gets a 9 point average, he'll carry on being a force in the PL.

You dont just forget how to win races like he did at Owlerton last season!

Welcome back Steady, there's no way Sheffield could leave him out once he declared he would be fit and ready to go for next season.

Yes his average is big and he might not keep to it, but there's no denying he'll still be one of the best number 1's in the premier league and even if he gets a 9 point average, he'll carry on being a force in the PL.

You dont just forget how to win races like he did at Owlerton last season!

Whether Steady can keep up his average or not, we mustn't overlook his impact on the rest of the side. If riders stay fit, Stead's influence on the likes of Bates, Garrity and Greaves will add 5+ points to the overall team points average. We saw last season how, even on crutches, Stead's mentoring helped transform Bates from a reserve into a heat-leader. Can't wait to see him team up with Garrity!

• Like 5

I will settle for steady dropping a point off his average. 9.40 would still take some beating as top man in the league, then if we need to make changes we have a point to play with. ;)

To be fair to Pinny he has in the past been pretty clued up on his riders, but he has been out of the country for sometime now and I am not so sure how much British speedway he has seen.

Yes Steady had a very bad injury last season, and he has suffered many injuries over his career, but I am absolutely certain that if he was not confident about keeping up the high standards he keeps he would not bother taking the team spot.

The next two signings for me are two of the most important ones, personally I would have like to see the club get Ty Proctor back I think he would be more than capable of gaining the visa through the State Championships, but I can understand why the Promotion feel that they cannot wait to see if he does.

To be honest I don't have clue which way the club will go regarding the next two signings, will be interesting to see though.

I would settle for bellego and rosen. may be a gamble, but then a change of track could benefit him, and is used to riding in the second string position.

Actually Rosen is not a bad call, but been Swedish I wonder whether or not he would consider a Thursday track or not as they ride 2nd tier speedway in Sweden on Thursday's.

No it isn't - Hall already has an average of 4 points out of the teams 42.5 average (or thereabouts) because 4 points is what he normally scores. The opposition also average 42.5 (or thereabouts). Therefore if Hall scores 4 he isn't getting 'a swing' and if he scores 5 it's 1 point more than he's 'expected' to score and 1 point the other team are not scoring, hence a 2 point 'swing'.

And a welcome back to Peter snow with his swingometer
  • Like 1

I would settle for bellego and rosen. may be a gamble, but then a change of track could benefit him, and is used to riding in the second string position.

How about Bellego and Berge, young Berge would certainly love the big track and I think he has the talent. Things went wrong for him at Glasgow, for whatever reason, but he has shown he has what it takes to be a decent scorer at PL level.

How about Bellego and Berge, young Berge would certainly love the big track and I think he has the talent. Things went wrong for him at Glasgow, for whatever reason, but he has shown he has what it takes to be a decent scorer at PL level.

Could be a good link up both French and will more than likely be friends, Berge is still very young but is very talented in my opinion, heard he had a rough time at Glasgow so a fresh start may do him good