British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2016

Took time out to digest the move to bring back Richard Hall.

And to be honest I am not too overly impressed.

Yes I get the thought that Richard riding at reserve looks good on paper, but I saw him twice last season at Sheffield and I was not impressed

I also have concerns about his Longtrack ambitions and commitments.

But maybe he will surprise me and be a trump card and I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

Not for the first time, I totally agree :approve:

I really hope it works out for Richard but got to admit I have my reservations, one the most exciting riders to ever wear a tigers jacket and worth the admission money alone, but fast forward to 2016 and not too sure about him after what hes done over the last 2 seasons, but if he can get his mojo back he should be able to score 6/7 at home every week, away form may be his downfall, on the plus side if he does get that mojo back some teams could be in for a hammering around owlerton.

the way the team is shaping up assuming steady signs, I would take david bellego and emil grondal to fill the last 2 spots, that would be an entertaining team at home.

• Like 1

Took time out to digest the move to bring back Richard Hall.

And to be honest I am not too overly impressed.

Yes I get the thought that Richard riding at reserve looks good on paper, but I saw him twice last season at Sheffield and I was not impressed

I also have concerns about his Longtrack ambitions and commitments.

But maybe he will surprise me and be a trump card and I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

i agree, the same old riders get churned out every year and we think phwar hes a steal on that average...... Hes not, hes just past it, a pale shadow of his former self and on that average for a reason, hes not very good or consistent....same with Roynon and a good few others
  • Like 3

Hall doesn’t even need to be that good to score a load of points at home, in several races he will be up against riders like (no disrespect intended) Morley, Payne and Williamson, he will up his average by default.

If he scores 4 or 5 points a meeting and Sheffield score loads of points at home because of it, I wouldn’t imagine most Sheffield fans (or the promotion) will be that bothered that he isn’t the rider he once was.

4 or 5 that’s 4 or 5 points the other team aren’t getting, it’s a 8/10 point swing which is massive in meetings.

It is comparable to when Somerset won loads of meetings and were competitive with Brent Werner at reserve, yes he was dull, old and wasn’t the rider he once was, but the thing is, he didn’t have to be, and nor was he being asked to be.

Edited by sparkafag
  • Like 1

Richard Hall will only be as good around sheffield as his equipment... If he has the same bike and engine as last year he will struggle... He came to Sheffield on a number of occasions last year and beat castanga and sissis so lets not get excited...he was riding a big fast track at Berwick last year and how did he perform ??

You obtain and average for a reason, How many teams has Richard had in the last few years since leaving Sheffield ? why did he leave Sheffield ? Answer he is an under performing and is average is lowering not improving.

If he was to start the season on Steadys bike and engine i may be a little bit more positive but still... Even when he had good equipment years ago could not ride away tracks !!

• Like 1

4 or 5 that’s 4 or 5 points the other team aren’t getting, it’s a 8/10 point swing which is massive in meetings.

No it isn't - Hall already has an average of 4 points out of the teams 42.5 average (or thereabouts) because 4 points is what he normally scores. The opposition also average 42.5 (or thereabouts). Therefore if Hall scores 4 he isn't getting 'a swing' and if he scores 5 it's 1 point more than he's 'expected' to score and 1 point the other team are not scoring, hence a 2 point 'swing'.

No it isn't - Hall already has an average of 4 points out of the teams 42.5 average (or thereabouts) because 4 points is what he normally scores. The opposition also average 42.5 (or thereabouts). Therefore if Hall scores 4 he isn't getting 'a swing' and if he scores 5 it's 1 point more than he's 'expected' to score and 1 point the other team are not scoring, hence a 2 point 'swing'.

Teams don’t begin meetings with their averages already pencilled into the score card.

Even before Hall has turned a wheel he is written off, lets see what happens he has been poor for a couple of years, but so has Simon Lambert and look at him back to a sub 6 average i don't think anybody thinks he can get back to where he was but lets see if Richard needs to be getting big points to win meetings it means somebody else in the team are not doing their job

• Like 1

Teams don’t begin meetings with their averages already pencilled into the score card.

I agree I just question your concept that Hall scoring you 5 points a meeting will affect the results of as many meetings as your post suggests. In fact I'd go further and say that Hall scoring 5 points a meeting would be a major problem for you.

Edit: Mind I'd like to sign a number 6 for Redcar that will score 5 points a meeting. I'd take that lol!

Edited by Boothers

I agree I just question your concept that Hall scoring you 5 points a meeting will affect the results of as many meetings as your post suggests. In fact I'd go further and say that Hall scoring 5 points a meeting would be a major problem for you.

Hall wont score me points in a meeting, because I am not Sheffield Speedway, and nor does it particularly cause a problem for me if he does or doesn’t, given semantics are at play here. ;)

If Hall were to score 5 points though (chances are he will still struggle on quite a few away tracks and possibly in a few at home) it's 5 points the other team aren’t scoring, I would suggest that will give Sheffield a pretty decent chance of winning meeting, yes, I honestly don't find that logic or concept that questionable.

Edited by sparkafag

If Hall were to score 5 points though (chances are he will still struggle on quite a few away tracks and possibly in a few at home) it's 5 points the other team aren’t scoring, I would suggest that will give Sheffield a pretty decent chance of winning meeting, yes, I honestly don't find that logic or concept that questionable.

Ah, and that's where a statistician would disagree with you! LOL!

;):D

Well thats all my picks for the last three riders to build a team with strength in depth fixed up else where. So it's definitely looking like Steady plus two others. (Stating the obvious there) Be interesting to see who they are, thought Sarjeant might be included on that average, but no!