British Speedway Forum

Workington 2016

the only tena i know is the one you can spend ........ how come you know about it ?

i make it my aim to help with care in the community. Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

Premier League Track of the Year is.....

.....Derwent Park!

Well done to Anthony, David and the rest who produced an excellent surface which resulted in some great racing throughout the year.

What are these awards judged upon?

Seems reading fans comments about visiting other tracks that Scunthorpe is generally the track that produces by far the best racing in the Premier league but does not make the top 3.

And just a thought the track voted the best in the Premier League was home to the only team to not drop a point all season in the Premier League at home yet failed to make the Play Off's.

Seems very strange to me.

Seems reading fans comments about visiting other tracks that Scunthorpe is generally the track that produces by far the best racing in the Premier league but does not make the top 3.

And just a thought the track voted the best in the Premier League was home to the only team to not drop a point all season in the Premier League at home yet failed to make the Play Off's.

surely its on track preperation and not how good the racing is though?? Rough park 3rd in the world :)
  • Like 2

So how come we were only second?

Sounds like a sop to the poor trophyless north west!!

the voting /points of a certain jim mcgregor were discarded on his visits to derwent park . the riders and referees opinions are the way its done .

well @ least we won 2 trophy's last season . is that more than Glasgow ?

The awards are judged upon the marks given by every referee in every meeting. Scunthorpe have been very successful with this award but this year we were judged the best. I would be interested to hear an impartial observer such as HalifaxTigers view as he has visited numerous times this year to get his opinion, in my humble opinion the second half of the season was the best racing I've seen in my short time involved with the sport with the Glasgow meeting being the highlight, each to their own though.

Can't see that being unbeaten at home has anything to do with it.

Edited by Comet Dan
  • Like 1

Not the same criteria that I (and I suspect a lot of fans) use. Of the top 5 matches I saw last season, 3 were at Scunthorpe which says it all really. For sheer quality of racing, nothing beats EWR.

Having said that, Workington does deserve recognition. The racing was better last season than in previous years and generally well above average, the speedway is the cheapest in the PL (and indeed is comparable with some NL tracks) and there's the bonus of the Hogster on the mic.

As an overall package, its right up there.

Think they are based on preparation rather than quality of racing as Leicester got third in the EL!

I think you are dead right................and preparation, as we know only too well, is often in the eye of the beholder.

Leicester was better last season, too.

• Like 2

Yes, good signing is Ty and, given an injury free season, has potential to add a fair bit to his starting 6.68 average.

Looks a decent side and could easily make the play-offs. Always enjoyed my visits to Workington, well after 1976 anyway, and hope the Comets fans have an entertaining 2016.

• Like 2