British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2016

Bash

I always thought that with John and Chris Louis at the helm, they would be able to both talent spot and develop riders, from which they would build an asset base to either dominate in the PL or move up, when ready, to the EL. This just doesn't seem to have happened. Kevin Doolan, Ben Barker, Richie Worrall all signed on and discarded. Cameron Heeps and Rohan Tungate appear not to have developed as far, or as quickly, as they possibly should have and are now departed. Morten Risager brought back. Castagna signed on as an asset, knowing he would have to start 2017 on a minimum 5.00 average. Darryl Ritchings signed as the No. 7 when, with respect to the lad, there were a number of better options to be had. Showing effort is one thing. Showing ability is another. Does Chris think he can help develop Sarjeant and, if so, why did he miss the pre-season trip to Italy? Did he realise Kerr would be switching to Jawas this season? Why was Ashley Morris considered as not worth retaining? What happened with Adam Ellis?

No long term plan in evidence and too many switches of team building ideology. Should there not be a closer link up with, say, Mildenhall to discover and develop riders? Covatti has turned out to be a great signing, but was that more by luck than judgement? Is Covatti an asset? Also, probably too many riders signed who are involved with other British teams. When was the last time a local lad was brought in as an asset?

Is Louis too reliant on and trusting of other people's recommendations? How much influence did Danny King have in this season's team building and Team Manager appointment? Has Chris taken his eye off the ball with his Sky TV involvement? Is that where his future lies? Track preparation seems to be being overlooked. With the pre-season Italy trip, the team should have hit the ground running, but it was effectively out of the League Cup after one home meeting and has now started with a league loss at a track that they won at last season. That is not progress. In hindsight, a disjointed start to the season, with so few home meetings and no challenge or individual meeting to commence with has not helped.

Maybe, when the mismatched race-suits arrived, that was a sign of the season to come. Far too much yellow(s) for a proper Ipswich team.

With it's proud history, Ipswich should be a club that finds and develops British talent with an overseas nugget thrown into the brew.

Edited by Multumesc
  • Like 1

A little patience needed we're only three meetings in. Can't get away from the fact it's been a disappointing start though and I still think the team looks decent on paper.

Unfortunately three of our most important riders in King, Kerr and Sargeant have started pretty poorly.

Not a single win from King last night and that just isn't good enough from your number one and by his standards.

I'm confident things will get better though and I'm not pressing the panic button just yet.

• Like 2

Weather forecast for Thursday isnt looking too promising so the disjointed start could become no home meeting for 5 weeks if that date is lost as well.

Light rain forecast from 10am to 10pm on a number of sites with the prediction for this rain between 50 and 90% depending on which one you believe!!

Is the home meeting Vs Sheffield on the 23rd a LC or PL meeting? The Ipswich website has it down as LC, whilst both the Sheffield website and the BSPA website has the fixture as PL.

I may be going mad but I'm sure it was also down on the Ipswich website as a PL fixture as well a couple of weeks back.

I'm just wondering as our home LC fixture against Sheffield last week was postponed, maybe they've now rearranged it to take place on the 23rd instead of the PL fixture.

Guess we'll find out soon enough

It would seem logical in some ways for it to be the LC to ensure those fixtures are completed in a timely manner.

However if we are already knocked out effectively anyway then keeping it as the PL at least means that the main comp is done and dusted and reduces the risk that come play off time a meeting is still outstanding.

Louis not a happy bunny..

From the EADT

"It wasn't very good," Louis said. "I'm very disappointed with the start to the season, two poor performances and one OK one.

"There are key issues with key riders and I intend to address them quickly.

"I'm not naming names and I won't be doing anything immediately, but neither will this be allowed to carry on.

"Only Nico Covatti did his job at Rye and he has had less meetings so far this season than practically any of the team. There is no panic, but I will be looking for a big improvement starting at Foxhall on Thursday. "

Well at least he's not making excuses or putting a positive spin on it like some do. Probably giving one or two a kick up the rear end to try and get them going as there's about half the team that have ridden well below their capabilities so far.

Let's see if that gets a positive reaction on Thursday..

Is it maybe a little too early to talk about team changes but if we are thinking about challenging for anything this year our reserves, as hard as they are trying certainly need to be scoring a few more points!

We cannot be constantly relying on the top 5 to win matches, it only takes 1 of them to have an off day and we are stuffed.

If changes are ultimately required let's hope that it's not left until too late.

Errrr, Darryl Ritchings scored 9+2 from three completed rides at Buxton today. Fell in his other heat when in second place. Danyon Hume got three 3rd places from his four heats.

Did Peterborough's win at Rye House yesterday make Ipswich's performance look even worse than was originally thought?

Should Louis have kept Ashley Morris from last season?

Is Nico getting dis-enchanted with the Foxhall track?

Glasgow and Workington look like they will both have good teams this season.

Errr, The Scotsman and BluPanther will be pleased with the result at Hampden today. Errr, Jason Dozzell's son emulating his dad by scoring on his debut aged 16, yesterday was a bit surreal.

Oh, JPB at 15 looks a really good prospect, finishing 4th in the U21 Final on Thursday and scoring 12 points from his first four rides at Buxton today. Errr, would it have been a better plan for Louis to bring in BWD this season, even on an assessed 5.00 MA - he's started this season quite well?

Should Louis have let Tungate and Heeps go at the same time, rather than retaining one of them.

Sorry, Baldy, run out of things now... Oh, when can we expect the interactive fan involvement that Louis promised?

• Like 2

OK boss, no football - it pleased the flying Scotsman though and its always good to keep visitors from Inveresk content. Braveheart and all that, you know. And don't forget, Ipswich have to enter a 5-a-side soccer team for the 4TT weekend. Thought you'd be up for manager...

I still reckon they are going to ask you to do the track for the next home meeting as part of Louis' all embracing, singing and tap dancing, fan fantastic, totally inclusive, entertainment package. Either that, or he's hoping we've all forgotten about it and it will just disappear into the mists of time and we will wonder if we had just imagined it.

No, its got to be tipper truck racing or similar. tru7.com and all that.

EDIT: PS, are you into car racing as well as bikes and if so did you watch any of the Chinese F1 GP today? Just that I thought it was half decent for a change and for the first time thought that the idea of starting the quicker cars from the back, might actually work and improve the entertainment level a notch or two - there you go, not football.

Edited by macca56
  • Like 1