British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2016

Bash

What was said in the report about tungate? Heeps? Hilton?

“It was such a tough decision for Phil and myself to make, but after lengthy discussions we felt that after a real baptism of fire this season and an almost completely new team for 2016, it was the right thing. I really hope that this is not the last we see of Phil in an official role at the club. He gave 100% to the job throughout a very difficult season and on so many occasions showed just how much passion he has for the sport and in particular this club.”

http://www.ipswichwitches.co/index.php/component/content/article/1019-witches-name-full-lineup-for-next-year

Nothing has been said about either Heeps or Tungate in today's paper Baldy.

So you are telling me he only rode half the season at no 5, which is basically what I was saying.

It's still early doors but I haven't seen anything yet that stands out although Newcastle look better than last year already.

That isn't what you were basically saying at all. You said and I quote, "Covatti started at reserve last year and will undoubtably find it tougher riding in the likely no 5 position."

He rode a fully four months of the season riding at number 5 and didn't find it "tougher" at all, he was like shi t off a shovel.

Edited by CardinalSin

That isn't what you were basically saying at all. You said and I quote, "Covatti started at reserve last year and will undoubtably find it tougher riding in the likely no 5 position."

He rode a fully four months of the season riding at number 5 and didn't find it "tougher" at all, he was like shi t off a shovel.

:lol: And he rode at 3 for a couple of months before that (Is riding at 5 any tougher than 3?) so Covatti was only riding at reserve a matter of weeks at the start of the season. BCD has had a bit of a mare there.

I'm not sure I'd have Covatti at 5 next season. I'd be tempted to put Lewis Kerr there and have Covatti and Risager at 3&4.

Risager likes the inside and Covatti the outside so they could be a good little partnership in the engine room.

On the official teams for 2016 thread it's stated that Kerr & Sarjeant both get a reduction. Kerr is 6.85 & Sarjeant 4.88 so our team total is 42.01. We could've still used Lewis Rose instead of Castagna as his 3.84 ave would be due a reduction down to 3.74 which would put our total to 42.42.

I suppose it has to do with doubling up as we would have four in the team and if we clashed with a Coventry v King's Lynn match we would lose all four, but that's something the fixture compilers could sort out.

Unless they put an end to doubling up then the sport will continue to die on its arse!

Looks pretty unspectacular to me. King is a class act at this level but I can't see any improvement from Covatti or Risager. Big question marks must hang over Kerr, hopefully he will come back firing on all cylinders for his sake but it's not often you see riders who have been through similar situations to his do so.

Sarjeant will do well to maintain his starting figure in the main team IMO. Castagna I don't know much about but he could well be the key if he can improve his starting figure. There are better riders than Ritchings who haven't been picked up so far as far as the number seven slot goes, he is improving year on year though after going through similar injuries as Kerr a couple of years back so hopefully he will continue to do so.

Will still probably turn us over home and away.

Edited by Ben91

Well good on Chris Louis for having a good old clear out at last! :D

I'm glad he has bit the bullet and finally done it and I hope it pays off for him and the Witches surprise everyone with a decent 2016. :D

If anybody is under performing during 2016 I hope he carries on making changes that over the last few years were never made earlier enough as other teams did and it cost us in the end.

As regards a new TM again it is the right decision - :D I hope this time he makes an appointment of someone with experience and even if we do see Smillie, Simmonds or Messenger return it has got to be a good move compared with another untried cheap option in the managerial role that he tried last year.

Role on 2016 - Onwards & Upwards :t:

Didn't realise he'd spent so long in the top five last year. Fair play.

He had 14 meetings at the start of the year and then 6 right at the end but in the middle of that he had 18 in the 1-5. Just running the number again he did only average 4.3 in the 1-5 which is lower than I though. That said, looking at his scores, his worst scores do coincide with when he broke his ribs and picked up at injury in the EL.

Edited by SCB

He had 14 meetings at the start of the year and then 6 right at the end but in the middle of that he had 18 in the 1-5. Just running the number again he did only average 4.3 in the 1-5 which is lower than I though. That said, looking at his scores, his worst scores do coincide with when he broke his ribs and picked up at injury in the EL.

Still decent going for a lad in his first full PL season. Probably a victim of his own success at Glasgow so it's good to see him fixed up for next year. If Castagna does well Ipswich could have either him or Sarj in a reserve berth all season.

Still decent going for a lad in his first full PL season. Probably a victim of his own success at Glasgow so it's good to see him fixed up for next year. If Castagna does well Ipswich could have either him or Sarj in a reserve berth all season.

I'm expecting Castagna to get about 5 tbh, so it's not impossible a couple of months in they swap. And if they don't I think its more likely to be down to Sarj doing well. If you look at how his career has gone he's improved every year so if he carries on I think he'll be fine. I think there more pressure no him at Cov to be the senior reserve than at Ipswich.

I'm expecting Castagna to get about 5 tbh, so it's not impossible a couple of months in they swap. And if they don't I think its more likely to be down to Sarj doing well. If you look at how his career has gone he's improved every year so if he carries on I think he'll be fine. I think there more pressure no him at Cov to be the senior reserve than at Ipswich.

Castagna to get a 5 i think you are a little ambitious on that. we will see though

Castagna to get a 5 i think you are a little ambitious on that. we will see though

He'll meet the NL riders 3 or 4 times a meeting giving him 3 or 4 points, plus the opposition reserve so assume he beats them half the time thats another 2 giving him 4-6 points a meeting.

He'll meet the NL riders 3 or 4 times a meeting giving him 3 or 4 points, plus the opposition reserve so assume he beats them half the time thats another 2 giving him 4-6 points a meeting.

4-6 a meeting away from home you would be more than happy with that. Ok at home you would like to think once he gets used to the track it would be nearer to 6-8

Anything yet about season tickets or admission? Maybe an increase to help pay for new fence?

Season tickets have for the last few years offered very poor value for money. I would like to see a new pricing structure such as more for some meetings and less for others. Certainly I would say that children under a certain age would get free admission with a paying adult all season, but limit it to 1 child per paying adult. After all surely they are the next generation to attract to the sport. Perhaps also you could say buy a ticket for 3 meetings and get the 4th meeting at 50 per cent off, any thoughts?

Speedway season tickets are not for those looking to save money.

Generally they are more of a 'charity donation' of upfront payment.

A free programme offer doesnt appeal to those of us that dont buy them either!