British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn 2016

I'm not disputing that. I am disputing that Korpi has never looked near being a number 1 when he's rode that position before.

The only time he has been remotely close to being a number 1 was in his early days at Arena where tbf he was pretty good, at home at least.

Since he has been nowhere near, id say barring two maybe three seasons at a push hes been on borderline third heat leader standard at best.

That's not necessarily outrageous. Plenty of riders have sponsored vans. For example Mikkel Bech was one of several riders in Rentatruck vans last year and was no better than Larsen. It shouldn't be overly difficult for Chapman to fix up a bit of sponsorship in that direction. It's what promoters do. What did Neils do for a van last year?. I bet he didn't buy his own.

Of course he will need a workshop. He can't do his bikes in the street. Quite often with foreign riders the club provide the mechanic and the mechanic has a workshop. Foreign riders usually fly in ride the bikes and fly out again next morning. They don't usually do much to the bikes themselves. Organising those things go with the territory if you are a promoter.

So it really only comes down to cash. Riders talk , so Larsen must have a rough idea of the sort of deal NKI was on and plenty of top riders are on a wage so either Larsen doesn't want to come or KL don't want him, but if both sides had the will it seems likely a deal could be done.

Can a league in dire straights like our Elite League, afford to lavish that sort of rider, with gates averaging out at around 1,000 to 1,500 per meeting?

And yes I know most fly in, ride, fly out again, but most self employed trades people have to provide there own van and tools.... If the Elite League had average gates around 3,000+ per meeting, it'd be a different kettle of fish, but it's not and most of the teams can't afford that sort of commitment to riders that probably won't do a full season, and I mean that, A full season...

You do Larsen a disservice. He out averaged Jepsen Jensen by two points a match in Poland and finished above Kildemand, Iversen, Doyle, Zagar and Holder in the Polish Extraliga averages.

sorry, didn't realise his results abroad were that good looks like he would be an ideal replacement for NKI
  • Like 1

You do Larsen a disservice. He out averaged Jepsen Jensen by two points a match in Poland and finished above Kildemand, Iversen, Doyle, Zagar and Holder in the Polish Extraliga averages.

Agreed, hence why he is reportedly asking for for a lucrative package to ride in the EL.

The only time he has been remotely close to being a number 1 was in his early days at Arena where tbf he was pretty good, at home at least.

Since he has been nowhere near, id say barring two maybe three seasons at a push hes been on

borderline third heat leader standard at best.

Think you will find he was number 1 at Eastbourne

• Like 1

With Lynn in a desperate need of a Big hitter, riders can ask for what they like. Its a business to the riders, and they will try and get as much as they can for their services and if they see a team with little to no option then they can hang out for the best deal they can get. That is where Lynn have got it badly wrong, You leave it late and you get the last taxi off the rank, and that comes at a price. I am convinced Buster thought NKI was a sure thing and when he decided he wasn't coming back that left Buster high and dry.

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

Can a league in dire straights like our Elite League, afford to lavish that sort of rider, with gates averaging out at around 1,000 to 1,500 per meeting?

And yes I know most fly in, ride, fly out again, but most self employed trades people have to provide there own van and tools.... If the Elite League had average gates around 3,000+ per meeting, it'd be a different kettle of fish, but it's not and most of the teams can't afford that sort of commitment to riders that probably won't do a full season, and I mean that, A full season...

The point I was making is that Larsens demands might not be as extravagant as first appears. Mads, for example probably needs a van and a workshop, as do all other riders who fly in and out. That aspect, as I said often comes down to sponsorship where the big names are concerned. The problem with Larsen is that he is not a particularly big name and not yet established a a big draw in terms of punters through the turnstiles.

If Larsen wants more money than he is worth then the truth probably is he doesn't really want to come and you don't want that sort of rider in the side. It's much the same with Kenny Bjerre. I hear that some months ago he had discussions with an EL club but he wanted big money and showed no particular commitment so they signed someone else. As he still doesn't have a job I dare say other clubs have had the same experience with him, because on paper he is a signable rider on his average. On the other hand one has to ask what sort of contact Chapman has with other riders on the continent. He has had a bit of luck the last two years with teams that fell neatly into place but does he know many riders about from those few? We don't really know the answer to that but what we do know is that people like Matt Ford, Jon Cook and Rosco keep in touch with a variety of riders and they were the ones whe had their riders lined up in good time.

• Like 1

ame="Game On" post="2741399" timestamp="1454879934"]

Nonsense Wolves are over two points below the limit. It is economics that means Wolves do not have a better rider at number one.

We have a better number one already, Freddie Lindgren starts the season at second string.

Does anyone really believe that he is on less money than Kylmakorpi??

Don't think economics is any different to last season personally.

Think you will find he was number 1 at Eastbourne

Yeah and what was his average that year compared to other number ones and how did eastie do that season?

Newport had nick simmons as a number one at one stage, doesnt mean hes ever been number one quality!

His UK mechanic, Robbie Kessler, used his

Niels is obviously a different proposition re his UK contract as he lives here and up til this year has wanted to race here, I'm sure had the BSPA sorted something for this season to cut down on the amount of meetings for these top guys, I think he'd be a Star again

Yeah and what was his average that year compared to other number ones and how did eastie do that season?

Newport had nick simmons as a number one at one stage, doesnt mean hes ever been number one quality!

And your point is

Edited by Game On
  • Like 1

Personally i feel Niels is getting a bit of unfair criticism as to me he is just doing what's best for him and his career. He probably feels it is getting near his last chance of GP glory and wants to give it his best shot. I have always liked him as a person and a rider and as far as i am concerned one of the nicest guys in the sport. Kings Lynn's problem is not Niels fault the management must have known his plans months ago.

• Like 5

That's not necessarily outrageous. Plenty of riders have sponsored vans. For example Mikkel Bech was one of several riders in Rentatruck vans last year and was no better than Larsen. It shouldn't be overly difficult for Chapman to fix up a bit of sponsorship in that direction. It's what promoters do. What did Neils do for a van last year?. I bet he didn't buy his own.

Of course he will need a workshop. He can't do his bikes in the street. Quite often with foreign riders the club provide the mechanic and the mechanic has a workshop. Foreign riders usually fly in ride the bikes and fly out again next morning. They don't usually do much to the bikes themselves. Organising those things go with the territory if you are a promoter.

So it really only comes down to cash. Riders talk , so Larsen must have a rough idea of the sort of deal NKI was on and plenty of top riders are on a wage so either Larsen doesn't want to come or KL don't want him, but if both sides had the will it seems likely a deal could be done.

Personally i feel Niels is getting a bit of unfair criticism as to me he is just doing what's best for him and his career. He probably feels it is getting near his last chance of GP glory and wants to give it his best shot. I have always liked him as a person and a rider and as far as i am concerned one of the nicest guys in the sport. Kings Lynn's problem is not Niels fault the management must have known his plans months ago.

Totally agree with all that until your last sentence. I don't think Lynn knew his plans until he told them no, he was obviously undecided himself for a long while. Perhaps they can be criticised for not having a back up plan but that could be easier said than done, perhaps they did have but the delay meant that the back up rider found employment elsewhere. Unfortunately Lynn took a risk waiting for Puk and it didn't pay off. Don't blame him at all though for packing in the UK.

• Like 2

Its not easy to the foreign riders to get things sorted in the UK.

Yes clubs can find a mechanic for them, but not all of them are lucky enough to have their own workshop.

I noticed last year at kings Lynn NKI, Rory and Kerr never arrived at the track in the van, mechanics were always alone. So I'm guessing these have their own workshops.

If my memory serves right, when Larsen was at Peterborough he had Rorys mechanic working for him. So I would imagine Peterborough done a deal there.

Larsen is a quality rider who has yet to show the Uk what he can do, before he got injured while riding for Peterborough he was absolutely flying and knocking in big scores every where.

Maybe he is interested in coming back, if so please KL promotion try and do a deal.

• Like 1