British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn 2016

do you remember the old Mildenhall track, next to no straights at all .. if that track was around now the racing would be just like Peterborough or Somerset.

A little before my time, my first meeting there was in the early to mid nineties. Don't go there to watch NL but was a regular in the 2006 & 2007 seasons in the PL and some of the racing was fantastic.

No he couldn't and he isn't riding this year either!

Not too sure about that the second part, as Bridger has been signed up by the Revolution Speedway Pro Race Team and is back in training and looking forward to 2016...

Not too sure about that the second part, as Bridger has been signed up by the Revolution Speedway Pro Race Team and is back in training and looking forward to 2016...

Time will tell and Lewis of course will race if he wants to and is motivated too.

The very recent signs are that he isn't interested so this is a new development that needs watching then!

Time will tell and Lewis of course will race if he wants to and is motivated too.

The very recent signs are that he isn't interested so this is a new development that needs watching then!

As you say Steve and indeed it is as, at the beginning of November he was saying that riding in 2016 was not an option as he wasn't sure that it was 100% what he wanted to do and he was looking to mechanic full-time for a rider. Maybe Revolution Speedway has provided Lewis with the 'motivation' he needed to ride again, but time will tell.

Maybe a place at Leicester is there for him...?

As you say Steve and indeed it is as, at the beginning of November he was saying that riding in 2016 was not an option as he wasn't sure that it was 100% what he wanted to do and he was looking to mechanic full-time for a rider. Maybe Revolution Speedway has provided Lewis with the 'motivation' he needed to ride again, but time will tell.

Maybe a place at Leicester is there for him...?

A motivated Lewis is great to have back in the sport.

With so few team places left to fill it would make Leicester one of the favourites to sign him.

A huge risk unless he is 100% focused.

• Like 1

A little before my time, my first meeting there was in the early to mid nineties. Don't go there to watch NL but was a regular in the 2006 & 2007 seasons in the PL and some of the racing was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtFiPhG5u4

• Like 1

I should start by saying this is probably all just a brain fart to caveat what I am about to say but I will say it anyway.

It appears riders play on subconscious now more than they ever have before, albeit it as fans we have never been as privy to riders mind-sets before so it is possible that statement isn’t 100% true.

Through channels like social media, TV coverage etc we have seen inside Pandoras Box and realised that very often, riders consistently moan about track surfaces, the weather, tracks they don’t like etc and so on, throw in those factors and the changing machinery it isn’t any wonder that has corroded the standard of the product.

Anyone who competes in motor sport or any sport for that matter relies heavily on confidence and it appears that no matter what meeting you are going to irrespective of track, that one rider or another either doesn’t have confidence in the track or the changing machinery to be able to fully commit themselves to a meeting.

The only time those factors appear to be ignored completely are during Grand Prixs, World Cups, Play Offs, when admittedly the standard of rider is much higher.

I think you could hold such a meeting at just about any track in the country and see a high standard of racing, leaving me to think it generally isn’t the tracks that are the issue, but in fact the attitude of a lot of the guys competing now.

Edited by sparkafag

I should start by saying this is probably all just a brain fart to caveat what I am about to say but I will say it anyway.

It appears riders play on subconscious now more than they ever have before, albeit it as fans we have never been as privy to riders mind-sets before so it is possible that statement isnt 100% true.

Through channels like social media, TV coverage etc we have seen inside Pandoras Box and realised that very often, riders consistently moan about track surfaces, the weather, tracks they dont like etc and so on, throw in those factors and the changing machinery it isnt any wonder that has corroded the standard of the product.

Anyone who competes in motor sport or any sport for that matter relies heavily on confidence and it appears that no matter what meeting you are going to irrespective of track, that one rider or another either doesnt have confidence in the track or the changing machinery to be able to fully commit themselves to a meeting.

The only time those factors appear to be ignored completely are during Grand Prixs, World Cups, Play Offs, when admittedly the standard of rider is much higher.

I think you could hold such a meeting at just about any track in the country and see a high standard of racing, leaving me to think it generally isnt the tracks that are the issue, but in fact the attitude of a lot of the guys competing now.

I disagree with virtually all of that. Riders have always moaned about track conditions, the weather and tracks they don't like, it is and always had been a part of human nature that every trade and profession has to have it's share of moaners and complainers. Sportsmen and women are no different. As for the standard of racing in the GP's and SWC, I think that is because when it comes to the top events riders are more prepared to put it on the line and race that bit harder.

There is evidence on YouTube that the standard of racing is no better or worse now than it has every been and I accept that my opinions are probably influenced by spending many years watching speedway at Hyde Road,the best racing circuit in the UK and a touch of nostalgia. However, I still believe racing was better prior to the introduction of the lay down engines.

In my opinion their introduction and the developments since have resulted in machines which favour slick tracks and have made throttle control an unnecessary skill. The result is that it is now more difficult to pass, even when lesser riders get out in front, because everyone is riding with the throttle wide open and slick tracks give fewer passing opportunities.

I think back to the 1950's and unless he was racing someone like Fundin or Briggs, you knew with 90% certainty that the likes of Pete Craven would win a race no matter where he gated.Likewise, it seemed that most riders were rarely beaten by riders of significantly lesser ability, something that seems to happen now if a reserve or poor second string makes a good gate. I think it was because the 50's and to some extent up to the mid 70's were a time with deeper tracks and pretty standard bikes.

Having said all of that, I still enjoy watching and attend regularly and I still see decent racing but the good races seem fewer than I remember in the heydays of the sport.

Edited by Aces51

I disagree with virtually all of that. Riders have always moaned about track conditions, the weather and tracks they don't like, it is and always had been a part of human nature that every trade and profession has to have it's share of moaners and complainers. Sportsmen and women are no different. As for the standard of racing in the GP's and SWC, I think that is because when it comes to the top events riders are more prepared to put it on the line and race that bit harder.

The second part of what you have said contradicts you disagreeing.

By your own admittance riders are more inclined to put more effort into a meeting at a World Cup than they are a league meeting (arguably naturally) which means the issue isn’t the track (Kings Lynn in this case) if you put riders on it with the right attitude (World Cup) the standard of racing is perfectly fine, but in a league meeting where, again, by your own admittance riders don’t try as hard, the racing isn’t as good.

The riders at a World Cup, are riders who “open the throttle” further than journeymen riders who seemingly cant be passed, yet at the World Cup…irrespective of slick tracks etc, riders, pass each other.

While riders have always moaned about track conditions they haven’t always had the platform of social media to allow them a true stage for confirmation bias, if riders openly put their thoughts out there and on occasion appear to psyche themselves out of a meeting as they often do when travelling to a track complaining about it all day, complaining about driving through rain etc, having other riders confirm their thoughts throughout the day, the natural assumption is that they will (and on occasions can) talk themselves out of a meeting.

I do agree to a certain extent re the standard of meetings being no better/worse and time does always lend its self to meetings of the past and such is the speed of the bikes now that perhaps races will naturally become more strung out/ I would say though that riders now, appear anyway, to be more evidently going through the motions far too often, more so than they have previously, some riders are notorious for it and have gained a reputation as a result of it, throw them into a meeting on top of others factors I would say they are contributing to any product regression.

Edited by sparkafag

The result is that it is now more difficult to pass, even when lesser riders get out in front, because everyone is riding with the throttle wide open and slick tracks give fewer passing opportunities.

I think back to the 1950's and unless he was racing someone like Fundin or Briggs, you knew with 90% certainty that the likes of Pete Craven would win a race no matter where he gated.Likewise, it seemed that most riders were rarely beaten by riders of significantly lesser ability, something that seems to happen now if a reserve or poor second string makes a good gate. I think it was because the 50's and to some extent up to the mid 70's were a time with deeper tracks and pretty standard bikes.

t.

Whilst that is a valid point I think it has to be said that the overall standard of the lower order riders is much better these days. Briggo was the first rider to realise the importance of fitness. He was the first to realise that there was more to it than time on the bike. Ivan Mauger wasn't the first to realise the importance of being methodical and professional but he took it to a new level. Those were the qualities that years ago set riders like Briggs and Mauger apart from the rest, but they set the standard for others to copy. These days most reasonable middle order riders are far fitter and far better prepared than they used to be and I think that closes the gap between the heatleaders and second strings/ reserves.

Having said all of that, I still enjoy watching and attend regularly and I still see decent racing but the good races seem fewer than I remember in the heydays of the sport.

My memory tells me you are right but memories are not reliable and nostalgia ain't what it used to be. Like most things in life we only remember the highlights and forget the dull bits. If we had a time machine and went back we might be disappointed. Having said that I would give anything to go back just once to experience those halcyon days at West Ham and Hackney . You don't know what you've got till its gone ! Edited by E I Addio

The second part of what you have said contradicts you disagreeing.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. What I am saying is that the racing in GP's etc can be better than in league racing because riders take those extra risks but that is relative to the standard of league racing today. What I am not saying is that racing in the GP's etc is overall as good as racing in similar events in years gone by.

Whilst that is a valid point I think it has to be said that the overall standard of the lower order riders is much better these days. Briggo was the first rider to realise the importance of fitness. He was the first to realise that there was more to it than time on the bike. Ivan Mauger wasn't the first to realise the importance of being methodical and professional but he took it to a new level. Those were the qualities that years ago set riders like Briggs and Mauger apart from the rest, but they set the standard for others to copy. These days most reasonable middle order riders are far fitter and far better prepared than they used to be and I think that closes the gap between the heatleaders and second strings/ reserves. My memory tells me you are right but memories are not reliable and nostalgia ain't what it used to be. Like most things in life we only remember the highlights and forget the dull bits. If we had a time machine and went back we might be disappointed. Having said that I would give anything to go back just once to experience those halcyon days at West Ham and Hackney . You don't know what you've got till its gone !

I'm not convinced that the standard of lower order riders is better today. It may appear so but I think that is because of the point I made previously, that throttle control is a lost art and even poor riders making the gate and keeping the throttle open often beat much better riders.

In the 50's and 60's it was mainly skill that mattered. The famous five, Craven, Moore, Fundin, Briggs and Knutsson were a step above all others, not because of any fitness programme or ultra professionalism, they were just better riders.

I take your point about memory and nostalgia and yet in relation to many other sports I think that the skill and product on offer today is superior to what we saw years ago. Speedway as a spectacle was better when equipment was more standardised and tracks were deeper.

It's nice to look back thinking of all the good ole days, but the sport today is a million miles apart from what it use to be and as such is difficult to compare. Brought up by my 'Bike Mad' dad I knew nothing else than attending meetings, Scrambles every week, Speedway every other week at Norwich and any opportunity, we fitted in Road Racing and Grass Track as well. It was one of those midweek grass track meeting at Peterborough, when the Showground was in the town ( Dogthorpe I believe) that I remember Barry Briggs for the first time. Standing 10 foot tall he was surrounded by fans 20 deep, so much so, it caused an obstruction that he had to be fenced off to give him space

Whose that Dad?, I asked. he son, is the greatest rider you'll ever see. Sure enough that night he was superb. he won all his races at a canter, an embarrassment to all other riders he readily lapped. He was from another planet.

Shortly after we were at the Firs .the confrontation between him and Fundin were eagerly awaited. My dad had a big wager on Briggs . but it was never in doubt, out in front or from the back Briggs ruled Fundin that night. From then on I followed Briggs career. I thought he was far better than his trophy count. and on his day he was truly majestic. My Dad's assessment of him wasn't wrong.......

Looking back at those times brings back wonderful feelings and I think that is were the differences lie. I know the bikes are faster, the riders more professional, but to me it was the occasion of the event that made them stand out. The environment totally took over the event. I went to loads of Wembley finals . It wasn't that the races was terrific, but the crowd, the noise and exciting was the governing factors that made it memorable.

I don't think those times will ever return. The world now is a different place to the one we were brought up in. I for one will be forever grateful that my dad was that Motorbike Nut.

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 2

It's nice to look back thinking of all the good ole days, but the sport today is a million miles apart from what it use to be and as such is difficult to compare. Brought up by my 'Bike Mad' dad I knew nothing else than attending meetings, Scrambles every week, Speedway every other week at Norwich and any opportunity, we fitted in Road Racing and Grass Track as well. It was one of those midweek grass track meeting at Peterborough, when the Showground was in the town ( Dogthorpe I believe) that I remember Barry Briggs for the first time. Standing 10 foot tall he was surrounded by fans 20 deep, so much so, it caused an obstruction that he had to be fenced off to give him space

Whose that Dad?, I asked. he son, is the greatest rider you'll ever see. Sure enough that night he was superb. he won all his races at a canter, an embarrassment to all other riders he readily lapped. He was from another planet.

Shortly after we were at the Firs .the confrontation between him and Fundin were eagerly awaited. My dad had a big wager on Briggs . but it was never in doubt, out in front or from the back Briggs ruled Fundin that night. From then on I followed Briggs career. I thought he was far better than his trophy count. and on his day he was truly majestic. My Dad's assessment of him wasn't wrong.......

Looking back at those times brings back wonderful feelings and I think that is were the differences lie. I know the bikes are faster, the riders more professional, but to me it was the occasion of the event that made them stand out. The environment totally took over the event. I went to loads of Wembley finals . It wasn't that the races was terrific, but the crowd, the noise and exciting was the governing factors that made it memorable.

I don't think those times will ever return. The world now is a different place to the one we were brought up in. I for one will be forever grateful that my dad was that Motorbike Nut.

A lovely nostalgic post. I think your upbringing was not a lot different to mine. From the earliest age I can remember it was motorbikes. Even the bedtime stories my Dad told me as a toddler seemed to involve Speedwáy and Speedwáy riders.

I think you are right about th e occasion, and I do belive seeing top riders every few weeks on TV in the GP's since Sky came along has taken away some of the awe that surrounded them. When you only saw top stars maybe once or twice a year it gave them an extra charisma. Not the same when they are on TV all the time.

I still enjoy the racing though. It's not better, not worse, just different now.

I

• Like 2

A lovely nostalgic post. I think your upbringing was not a lot different to mine. From the earliest age I can remember it was motorbikes. Even the bedtime stories my Dad told me as a toddler seemed to involve Speedwáy and Speedwáy riders.

I think you are right about th e occasion, and I do belive seeing top riders every few weeks on TV in the GP's since Sky came along has taken away some of the awe that surrounded them. When you only saw top stars maybe once or twice a year it gave them an extra charisma. Not the same when they are on TV all the time.

I still enjoy the racing though. It's not better, not worse, just different now.

I

Yeah....... I still enjoy the racing. Its inbreeded into me. What you say about the TV is more true than people realised. I adored Mike Hailwood but was only privileged to see him a few times a year, whereas with Rossi I watch every MotoGP™. Thinking back, I can relate to most of the times I watched Hailwood remembering most of the details of his races, where now my collection of Rossi races is quite immense, his race detail fade with time .

Its the same with most sports and in that way TV has a lot to answer for. Of cause it's better we have this facility, but them olde days will always live on....

• Like 1