British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn 2016

Agree that you get poor meetings at all tracks but I bet over the last three or four years the proportion of bad meetings at those tracks is lower than at Lynn. I agree that the surface is vital, several people on here argue that the dirt used at Lynn now doesn't help matters and I think whatever is used now is both cheaper and better for stock cars. I don't think the shale used at Lynn is going to change so perhaps a widening and therefore shortening of the circuit would help the racing, I can't imagine it would do any harm to trhe standard of the stocks and bangers either.

One thing is for sure, if people are to continue forking out the best part of twenty quid to watch speedway at Lynn (or anywhere) it needs to be entertaining.

The best racing I've seen is at Peterborough and Somerset. Consistently good if not excellent racing.

Swindon used to provide superb racing but probably like at Lynn, the standard has dipped a little in recent years. Monmore seems to be the most consistent nowadays.

Have been to Plymouth several times and although it is the smallest track I've seen, the racing has been brilliant.

The best racing I've seen is at Peterborough and Somerset. Consistently good if not excellent racing.

Swindon used to provide superb racing but probably like at Lynn, the standard has dipped a little in recent years. Monmore seems to be the most consistent nowadays.

Have been to Plymouth several times and although it is the smallest track I've seen, the racing has been brilliant.

I think, as has been mentioned previously, the advancements and increase in speed has not helped the racing at certain tracks. Swindon being a good example. Still a good race track but as the machines have got quicker....the straights are now too long to provide the kind of racing we used to see.

• Like 1

Was just about to raise that Skidder, you beat me to it by seconds.

Stevebrum, I'm not saying the shape NEEDS changing, just that it would certainly help. In my mind, probably in conjunction with the machinery issues of recent years, the long straights at Lynn mean riders quickly get spread out and the shale used doesn't help either. Several issues coming together have meant far less entertaining racing, in fact I'd say 2011 was the last time we had regular good racing and overtaking.

To be honest I should have included machinery and bikes as part of the problem.

Even at Monmore the quality of racing has dipped slightly in recent years due in part to machinery and engine power.

However as ER said that in comparison to a lot of other tracks it's way more consistent than a lot of other tracks.

Totally agree, my two favorite tracks for racing quality. I have also enjoyed many excellent meetings at Kings Lynn over the years. Last year I only went to two meetings at Lynn and at both the racing was very poor but I think that was just due to conditions on the day.

Totally agree, my two favorite tracks for racing quality. I have also enjoyed many excellent meetings at Kings Lynn over the years. Last year I only went to two meetings at Lynn and at both the racing was very poor but I think that was just due to conditions on the day.

What you should do Simon is invest in having your own track again then you can have it set up exactly how you want it. ;)

Very much so. Tracks like Somerset, Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Plymouth & Mildenhall are all fairly circular and provide excellent racing.

do you remember the old Mildenhall track, next to no straights at all .. if that track was around now the racing would be just like Peterborough or Somerset.

when KL were Premier League everyone seemed to hate going there, I know KL had good teams, but the opposition were on the whole beaten before a wheel was turned.

now, and this is my opinion, the track is the wrong shape for the speed of the bikes, something doesn't quite click .. as been mentioned, to me, shorter straights and wide bends are how tracks should be for the current bikes.

I love speedway on bigger tracks though, that's what it's all about for me, not silly trick tracks like Lakeside, I even prefer the old Poole track from the 80's to the one there now, and when the racing at KL is good, it's usually VERY good, same as Peterborough and Somerset, great tracks

• Like 1

The shape alone doesn't guarantee good racing. I have been to most of those tracks (except Plymouth) and have seen ordinary racing as well. I have visited Peterborough many times, and have seen some wonderful meetings, but I've seen some crap ones as well. equally as bad as those at Lynn.

Regardless of peoples opinions on what shape and size of track they prefer, the most important aspect to good racing is the way the tracks are prepared and the material used to perfect them..... It is of my opinion, that if time, effort and money was put into the preparation, then most tracks will produce quality racing.......

Spot on with regard to the material. The received wisdom seems to be that the material used at KL is the type to favour stock cars these days, because that's where the bulk of the income comes from. Do any locals have first hand knowledge of this ?

I also think your first paragraph is spot on. Good meetings usually have to do with the occasion, the weather, and compatibility of the teams, rather than the shape of the track. The trouble is that Speedwáy is run on such tight financial margins these days that it's not always possible to spend the sort of money that provides a perfect race track.

• Like 1

I think once King Kenneth returns to the Norfolk Arena, the Lynn fans will be in for a masterclass in how to pass riders.

sadly as each day that passes and Lynn don't sign a true NO1 I think King Kenny looks more and more likely.

Re the track - I know many of the riders have complained that the track has been too slick for meetings in 2014 and 2015. Often this has been due to weather conditions on the day, restricting track prep. Perhaps shale has changed over the years, however sourcing good shale is not easy. At least Buster has excess shale which is something most other tracks don't have. Lynn base is mainly clay with a lose shale top. For the riders far too many stones and other debri. One it bloody hurts getting in the ruse of another rider and destroys wheels and damages engine covers. Look at a Lynn riders bikes compared to a visiting rider to see stone damage. As others write sometimes you get good meetings and not so good, but I don't think track generally the reason for this. If anything I would say it is today's bikes. Depending on race lines, they can spin up too easily or engine can nearly stall when hitting deep wet dirt. Set up at Lynn is critical and a rider in his four heats has totally changed sprocket size, ignition and possibly jet size by time he goes out in his 4th heat. Yes Leicester track changes are a good idea, as very little passing there. But Lynn doesn't need changing.

sadly as each day that passes and Lynn don't sign a true NO1 I think King Kenny looks more and more likely.

Looking at the Peterborough 2016 Thread, it seems that the Panthers have been in contact with KB, along with Peter Karlsson & Norbert Kosciuch, about a team place for this season:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/speedway/speedway-bjerre-could-be-back-to-spearhead-panthers-title-challenge-1-7148580#ixzz3waE02LzG

The Provisional Polish Ekstraliga fixtures have been issued today, so this may be the catalyst to UK teams completing their line-ups.

Looking at the Peterborough 2016 Thread, it seems that the Panthers have been in contact with KB, along with Peter Karlsson & Norbert Kosciuch, about a team place for this season:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/speedway/speedway-bjerre-could-be-back-to-spearhead-panthers-title-challenge-1-7148580#ixzz3waE02LzG

The Provisional Polish Ekstraliga fixtures have been issued today, so this may be the catalyst to UK teams completing their line-ups.

I would suggest Peterborough get Kasper Gomolski, would be terrific round the showground.