British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn 2016

You'd prefer to go into the season with an underpar side then?

Of course id prefer my side to he competitive but it'll only be my clubs fault if they wasn't. Cant just add a fundamental rule in team building just because some have messed it up.

• Like 2

Regarding the no1 position each and every day that passes by I think the one rider that looks more and more likely to fill this position is Kenny B his hand get stronger each day Lynn don't sign an alternative he must no he hold all the cards - all he needs is is Leicester interested as well as Lynn and he will be in a good position for good contract.

In light of Leicester's decision to make some track alterations to improve racing, does anyone think bringing the bends in a tad would improve racing at Lynn ? As an ex regular visitor to Lynn, it is something that has crossed my mind in the last couple of years..

• Like 1

In light of Leicester's decision to make some track alterations to improve racing, does anyone think bringing the bends in a tad would improve racing at Lynn ? As an ex regular visitor to Lynn, it is something that has crossed my mind in the last couple of years..

I'm not quite sure what has happened to The Lynn track over the last few years.

I am a regular visitor when Wolves are there.

The track used to be one of the best in the country but the racing seems to have deteriorated the last few times I have been there.

The shape seems pretty much as it always been so perhaps it is something to do with the material used or the fact that the bikes are bot as conducive to good racing as they used to be.

Wolfie

• Like 2

I don't think there's a lot wrong with it. Some meetings are bland and follow the leader rubbish, where others can be really top draw. A lot depends on the riders attitude and the will to fight. Niels usually finds a way by when it is needed......

Not being a trackman, I'd be the last to say what should be done, but obviously the shape and size appears to be OK. To me the problems relates to the weather, the material used, and how much topping is on the track. These are all variables and can alter from week to week...... Like I say, who am I to say what's the answer is.

I was a machine examiner at last yrs world cup meeting at Lynn, I also rode the track in the early nineties, (only training school then) and the racing surface has completely changed, as well as a hard centre instead of grass. Gone was the red shale, uniformity of the stone content to clay ratio and what I found was a material that I can only compare to, well, I'm not sure.. There seemed to be a high content of what looked like, felt like ordinary soil, not much proper shale stone, irregular pieces of small hardcore, crushed builders waste, very dark clay-like base, but quite a lot of stock car remnants around 5p to 50p size Inc metal fragments, there seemed quite a lot of manure type thatch/straw dispersed in it as well. We had to do a lot of picking as well during the afternoon of the meeting. Do any Kings Lynn track staff post on here that could expand on the Kings Lynn race surface make up, stone to clay ratio.. etc.

Edited by Shale Searcher

The rounder and wider, the better I'd say. Shorter straights would certainly help improve the racing.

• Like 1

The rounder and wider, the better I'd say. Shorter straights would certainly help improve the racing.

Probably a circular track would be to you liking ??

I don't understand why some are saying the Kings Lynn track needs changing or re-shaping.

The track has been excellent for years and it's only in the last couple of seasons that some are saying the racing has been worse.

I'd imagine that's down to track prep/surface/quality of shale and not the shape which has given exceptional racing over the recent years.

• Like 2

Was just about to raise that Skidder, you beat me to it by seconds.

Stevebrum, I'm not saying the shape NEEDS changing, just that it would certainly help. In my mind, probably in conjunction with the machinery issues of recent years, the long straights at Lynn mean riders quickly get spread out and the shale used doesn't help either. Several issues coming together have meant far less entertaining racing, in fact I'd say 2011 was the last time we had regular good racing and overtaking.

Very much so. Tracks like Somerset, Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Plymouth & Mildenhall are all fairly circular and provide excellent racing.

The shape alone doesn't guarantee good racing. I have been to most of those tracks (except Plymouth) and have seen ordinary racing as well. I have visited Peterborough many times, and have seen some wonderful meetings, but I've seen some crap ones as well. equally as bad as those at Lynn.

Regardless of peoples opinions on what shape and size of track they prefer, the most important aspect to good racing is the way the tracks are prepared and the material used to perfect them..... It is of my opinion, that if time, effort and money was put into the preparation, then most tracks will produce quality racing.......