British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2016

Piotr Swiderski has never let Lakeside down because his Polish club demanded practice, and as far as I can recall Adam Skornicki and Magic Janowski haven't either,,to name butt two.

The risk is still there signing them though. Depending on their form or clubs results they get called for practice at any time. Facts are, British Speedway can't start making demands on Polish rider's. If teams want to use them, it's at risk.

• Like 1

A question I have raised on here before, is about the big name riders, which the Lions never seem to be able to sign. Is it a fact that they don't want to spend the money to sign them, or is it a fact that they just have not got the money to do it.

I don't know what the clud has got in the kitty, but a few seasons ago they said the money side of things was very good, where does it stand now ?????????

to quote foamfence - It seems that people here are blaming Leicester for the situation,

Well, The situation, as it appears to me, is that the club is in trouble because of a series of clueless decisions made by clueless people and backed by an equally clueless bunch of hangers on who have backed the club owners to what would likely seem to be the end.

Of course the owners of Leicester are to blame. DH has made clueless decision after clueless decision, pretty much since the day Beaumont Park got it's planning permission. The error with the track being the most obvious and damaging. I was at the track the day they were concreting in the posts and everyone there that day could see the stupidness of that mistake, it was obvious to every single person working at the track.. I'm not saying all DH's decisions are clueless, just an awful lot of them. DH appears to have spent the last few years surrounding himself more and more with a whole bunch of Yes men and Yes women, many who appear to reside on here and other social media, backroom staff who have allowed him to make crass judgment call after crass judgment call without daring to lift their collective head above the parapet and call those decisions out. Unfortunately most people who have highlighted the cluelessness of DH's decisions, track being the main, have been hounded out of the club either by DH himself, or by the equally clueless bunch of cliquey hangers on. Unfortunately, it really does seem that most of Leicester core supporters have now given up on their 20 odd year dream due to the lack of entertainment the track produces coupled with the increasingly poor teams the decision to ride on Saturday has produced.

Shame on the management for not making the right decisions for the future of our sport in our city over the last five years. Whether that is just correcting their mistakes or allowing others to do it in their place, I wouldn't care a less. And Shame on all those hangers on for defending those stupid decisions in such a righteous way on the likes of BSF and other social media during that time. Still at it now.

• Like 5

It's really not that hard to understand.

Race Saturday in the EL and have poor team. Alternative, stay in EL, but change your race night.

Go back to PL and keep Saturday nights.

With the team Leicester are currently putting out they will not win a meeting home or away, they simply aren't good enough.

I agree' The Leicester side tonight wouldn't win a Premier League meeting. Most or all of the riders have struggled at one time or another to hack it in the so-called second tier. Drop down and lets have some good local derbies with the likes of Peterborough.

Leicester has had no luck with the teams they have assembled since being in the EL but for me most of that is the clubs own problem Belle Vue Swindon Kings Lynn and Lakseide was all Saturday night clubs but all soon realised years ago if you want to put together a better team you can't race Saturday nights so really Leicester only have there selfs to blame for sticking with Saturday nights and having weak team .

Dont wish to nitpick but going to anyway Swindon were moved off saturdays by the stadium owners due to wanting the doggies running on a Saturday instead

Dont wish to nitpick but going to anyway Swindon were moved off saturdays by the stadium owners due to wanting the doggies running on a Saturday instead

that may be the case but don't you think Swindon Speedway would have soon hit on the idea running during the week you get more choice of which riders are willing sign for the Robins ? It's sad as Saturday's there used to be so much speedway in the UK much as Poland use Sunday - Saturday race day more chance to get away fans better for parents brining there kids with no school the next day ,Saturday race day is such a big loss to EL speedway but while the SGP run every other weekend and polish league every Sunday - Saturday is a no go for EL clubs Edited by Haza
  • Like 2

I agree' The Leicester side tonight wouldn't win a Premier League meeting. Most or all of the riders have struggled at one time or another to hack it in the so-called second tier. Drop down and lets have some good local derbies with the likes of Peterborough.

Of course they would. They only lost to a good Lakeside team by 2 pts. I do take your point though about the viability of running in the El on Saturdays.

• Like 1

Saturday should be the race night for a family sport.

If it means no GP riders then that's the way forward.

I agree that some people will not bring children to speedway for mid week meetings. but some will. Saturday nights are not the be all and end all answer for attending anything on a regular basis because there are/is other weekend activities which impinge on that concept .

Next year EL will be run purely during mid week & once established, a regular mid week race night for the Lions will not be so detrimental as some (DH) fear. in times past Tuesday served the Lions well and although that would not work now thanks to Swedish fixtures, a Thursday or Friday race night would by removing the "Poland problem" and provide the promotion the opportunity of attracting better riders to create a more competitive team which would attract the much needed additional support.

The lack of a successful team has the largest detrimental effect on attendances whilst a winning team would attract a much larger following no matter what the race night. Success breeds success - success on the track will bring success at the turnstile

Summary for the Lions 2017 - 1. Stay in EL. 2 race Thursday or Friday. 3 attract (some) better riders & be more competitive. 4.Attract bigger crowds. 5.go from strength to strength.

• Like 1

Saturday should be the race night for a family sport.

If it means no GP riders then that's the way forward.

How many kids go to speedway? From what I can see you can count them on a few hands.

Most spectators are middle-aged and above!

How many kids go to speedway? From what I can see you can count them on a few hands.

Most spectators are middle-aged and above!

That is so true, most youngsters would rather sit at home playing games on the phone or pc.

• Like 1

There are quite a few children who support the Lions and they have done since the club started up again, to lose them now, then you are losing the fans of the future, If they raced on a Friday then there would not be a problem other than Coventry also race on a Friday. My grandson comes to the Lions with me and it would be a no,no if they raced mid week as it would be far to late by the time we got home. It is usually after 11.30pm by the time we get back, and for a 10 year old to get up for scholl the next morning, it is not the best way for him to stay awake at school.

There are a lot of family members who bring along son's and daughters. We should be looking after these kids, because in 10 years time it will be them that stand here with thier wives or girlfriends, with a new generation of Lions fans to come.

Lets think about the future of the sport. It is time we stopped bowing and scraping to Poland and Sweden.

So be it if we have to run British speedeway with Brititish riders, I would rather see that than the rubish they have dished up this year and they still dare to call it Elite.

• Like 2

Nail on the head there. If Leicester plan to continue running Saturday nights they need to start thinking about targets for next season now. Ignore the so called big names / has beens that ride in Poland and look at a more home grown side.

2 x decent EDR's like this year. 2 double uppers who ride the track well e.g Garrity, Summers, Masters then look for EL only riders like Nicholls or Morris then add a Swede/Dane if required?

Build strength in depth rather than being obsessed with a "big name" and start to build the relationships between riders and fans so they have a team to back rather than ask "who?" or "where is.....?"

If they raced on a Friday then there would not be a problem other than Coventry also race on a Friday.

Lets think about the future of the sport. It is time we stopped bowing and scraping to Poland and Sweden.

So be it if we have to run British speedeway with Brititish riders, I would rather see that than the rubish they have dished up this year and they still dare to call it Elite.

Well if the Lions are in the El next year, Race night is going to something other than Sat or Sun so you may get your wish for a Friday but somehow I think it will be Thursday.

However, if you want to see all British rider teams then to overcome the Eu restraint of trade laws you need to vote for Brexit. although no problem in keeping the Aussies out.

Cant help but think good job such rules were not in place during the Blackbird Road days . just think - No Boulger, Michanek, Terroma, Titman, to name a but a few home riders, never mind the likes of Briggs, Moore, Major, Olsen, Penhall, Nielsen and Gundersen for the visitors.

Surely, rather than devising a plan to keep the best riders away from the UK it would be preferable to plan to make the UK the best place to see speedway that attracts the best riders and provides the means for British talent to make progress. After all, when the best overseas riders were here in the UK it didn't stop the likes of Boocock, Wilson, Collins, Lee & Loram making their mark on the world stage did it.

Edited by 1 valve

...........1 Valve...................... Thursday or Friday race night would by removing the "Poland problem" and provide the promotion the opportunity of attracting better riders to create a more competitive team which would attract the much needed additional support.

Unfortunately the 'Poland problem' probably wouldn't go away as they seem to be using Friday's as well now. :neutral:

That is so true, most youngsters would rather sit at home playing games on the phone or pc.

That tells you a story as to how things have changed in the last 30- 40 years..

That tells you a story as to how things have changed in the last 30- 40 years..

Good lord, something we agree on. lol