British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2016

Would a compromise be running on Saturdays but with a 3pm start time?

I know there are issues with racing in the daytime e.g. keeping moisture in the track, but if it meant the top riders had more time to get to their flights to Poland, it might work for one season.

The sun would be higher so no breaks while it dropped below the fence, more time for junior racing after the meeting.

Apart from half the fan base will be at the King Power stadium and the other half at work.... nothing I suppose

• Like 2

speedibee, on 23 Jan 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

DH should ask to rejoin the premier league , I bet that would sharpen a few reflexes

Perhaps DH could ask the clubs SUPPORTERS what they would like & move on from there . No point throwing a party if nobody want to come !! I spoke to a Sheffield fan of many seasons this week (at a football match) & for all of the clubs great history & brilliant riders who have graced the club over the years he said a he's quiet happy to watch Premier racing EVERY week without the politics , missing riders & all the crap that goes with the ELITE !!

• Like 1

Apart from half the fan base will be at the King Power stadium and the other half at work.... nothing I suppose

City's last home game is May 7th and the new season starts in early August so at least 11 Saturdays where there isn't a clash.

As for people working, as I said it was a compromise so there would be some gains and some losses.

Anyway it's better than no Speedway at all and that appears to be where we could be heading!

DH should ask to rejoin the premier league , I bet that would sharpen a few reflexes

NO guarantee they would get into the Premier League.

What's that all about, do they think they will get better crowds on Fridays or do they want Speedway under floodlights?

TV requirements I believe ... just as soccer is now shown here on various days and nights, so be it with speedway in Poland.

Perhaps DH could ask the clubs SUPPORTERS what they would like & move on from there . No point throwing a party if nobody want to come !! I spoke to a Sheffield fan of many seasons this week (at a football match) & for all of the clubs great history & brilliant riders who have graced the club over the years he said a he's quiet happy to watch Premier racing EVERY week without the politics , missing riders & all the crap that goes with the ELITE !!

As were a lot of us at Leicester, but the voices of the in-crowd were saying what Mr Hemsley wanted to hear. The EL was only ever going to bring difficulties upon Leicester, which, added to the poor racing made it unworthwhile for some fans to continue.

Would a compromise be running on Saturdays but with a 3pm start time?

I know there are issues with racing in the daytime e.g. keeping moisture in the track, but if it meant the top riders had more time to get to their flights to Poland, it might work for one season.

The sun would be higher so no breaks while it dropped below the fence, more time for junior racing after the meeting.

Direct competition with rugby and football at 3 pm on satrurdays

NO guarantee they would get into the Premier League.

TV requirements I believe ... just as soccer is now shown here on various days and nights, so be it with speedway in Poland.

Perhaps DH should ASK to rejoin the premier league , with the sky deal hanging in the balance ,I think he may get a bit more help even if they only thought he was considering it seriously

Purely on principle, I think Hemsley should tough it out because this year,the rest of the Elite league will have to accept the Saturday fixtures.

But he needs to be very careful to avoid achieving merely a pyrrhic victory, and therefore needs to be seen to, and actually doing, as much as possible to assist the other promoters and their needs (and the needs of their riders).

The team Leicester would put out, would probably get tonked away from home, but win some at home. However, there's a big chance they'd be rock bottom of the league and so he would need to be very careful about how much he charges people for admission.

I wouldnt be disheartened with Bjerre at 5 (although, he'd start as a second string behind Wozniak). But I'd be concerned if he was the number 1, our main heat leader that we'd be reliant on.

If we were to have a job share between 2 premier league double uppers, id be extremely disappointed if Simon Stead wasnt one of them

City's last home game is May 7th and the new season starts in early August so at least 11 Saturdays where there isn't a clash.

As for people working, as I said it was a compromise so there would be some gains and some losses.

Anyway it's better than no Speedway at all and that appears to be where we could be heading!

The whole point of keeping it Saturday nights is not to unsettle the numbers so 3 pm start may do just as much damage as moving to a week night. Speedway supporters are creatures of habit.........

There would certainly be a clash with other sports at the beginning and end of the season but for the majority we should be ok. A 3pm start would create a parking problem though with the shops in the area being open.

At this stage we don't know the real answer for dates being only provisional though do we? There could be a number of reasons.

DH is considering pulling out, (can't get a No1, financial problems, unhappy with the way the sport is run, disagreements with manager and/or co promoter ... ),

looking at what night to choose to race on so that it suits everyone,

looking at dropping to PL level,

DH is in the process of selling up and until the new deal is struck it's all up in the air

etc

If we're still racing in 2016, I'll certainly be there to see how the new track shape pans out, and if it improves the pass rate then it will have been worth the effort. Fingers crossed.

Wonder if Zengota has been contacted. Seemed keen to ride in England this year, might have an inflated average... but Wozniak and Walasek have falsely low averages.

Zengi and Kenneth Bjerre... wouldnt look overly exciting and would lack an obvious, big hitting number 1 rider but would leave you with 4 riders who have the capability to be reasonably strong heat leaders. If Bjerre could find some form it might compete to not be rock bottom!

Wonder if Zengota has been contacted. Seemed keen to ride in England this year, might have an inflated average... but Wozniak and Walasek have falsely low averages.

Zengi and Kenneth Bjerre... wouldnt look overly exciting and would lack an obvious, big hitting number 1 rider but would leave you with 4 riders who have the capability to be reasonably strong heat leaders. If Bjerre could find some form it might compete to not be rock bottom!

Think it was mentioned in the Speedway Star last week that Zengota's been contacted/is a no go. Yet on the same page was mentioned in the Swindon column as being interested in a UK/Swindon return.

• Like 2

Think it was mentioned in the Speedway Star last week that Zengota's been contacted/is a no go. Yet on the same page was mentioned in the Swindon column as being interested in a UK/Swindon return.

The heat leader lists ceases being relevant after the first set of average. Zenghi has probably agreed to sign for someone after the first set of averages.