British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2016

In answer to not coming to speedway next season, it was only a possibility, I love the sport to much and so does my grandson.

We will come along to press day to see what has happened to the track, not missed one yet, then will see what difference the track changes have made, to decide if we bother to come to any meeting, plus also on what the final team make up is, can't see me shelling out my cash to come and see a big bodged up team, that are never going to win a meeting.

There is still time to get the other 2 riders, but who will it be that is the big question, as there are no hints at all who they ay be.

• Like 1

I wonder if the Belle Vue meeting is moving back the start time as I thought Stead was due to be in that meeting.

If not does seem very strange to have a meeting that date and time I much prefer the meetings under lights and sure would have a bigger crowd in the evening.

The also seem to have overlooked the car parking as you struggle to get a space at Beaumont Leys on a normal Saturday afternoon. It seems another poorly thought out choice of timing

• Like 3

What a joke .

Why are Leicester starting at 1pm vs Sheffield .

People won't make it from Leicester to Belle Vue in time for the 6pm start time & traffic will be hetic with it being Manchester City vs Manchester Utd in the football at 3pm

Stupid typical Leicester

Can't see the football staying at 3pm on the Saturday.

Simon Stead wants to ride for the Lions... I know it'd initially mean him starting at 5, but if Wozniak eventually went up to 5 and Stead down to second string, I'd be relatively happy. Then just get anyone of decent strength at 1...

1. Someone of heat leader quality- Madsen, Larsen, Sundstrom, either Laguta, Protasciewicz?

2. Wozniak/Stead

3. Walasek (captain probably?)

4. Klindt

5. Stead/Wozniak

6. Auty

7. Starke

If we can get the 1-5 good enough to stay in meetings, that reserve pair can win us meetings. Might not overly excite the masses, but would at least be a half competitive side IMO

Has much as I like Stead, & yes he did very well last time he was with Lions, he is not really a heat-leader in the EL & currently if Leicester signed him he would be at NO. 1 with an average of 6.70. The nearest to him is Walasek on 5.91, so it's going to be a while before he drops enough to be a 2nd string, also him missing matches wouldn't help, although while he remained in a heat-leader position, a guest would be allowed. He started last season with Belle Vue as a heat-leader & I think he struggled before his injury,( if memory serves me right didn't he hardly score any in BV 's visit to Leicester & only took 3 rides). It would be a gamble taking him on after his terrible injury, & if he was going to ride at 2 or 4, probably one worth taking, but not as an heat-leader. Having said that though I can't think of many other alternatives & the season is getting nearer.

• Like 1

Re Track. Bends 3 and 4 are now awaiting the curb to go in then the top surface shale to finish. We have had a lot of rain. So we will put the curb in hopefully start next weekend. Bends 1 and 2 will start when this current weather improves.

The last thing I want is to have both ends to soft to go racing on. So as I said as soon as the weather picks up we will be on it.

Glyn

• Like 8

I wonder if the Belle Vue meeting is moving back the start time as I thought Stead was due to be in that meeting.

If not does seem very strange to have a meeting that date and time I much prefer the meetings under lights and sure would have a bigger crowd in the evening.

The also seem to have overlooked the car parking as you struggle to get a space at Beaumont Leys on a normal Saturday afternoon. It seems another poorly thought out choice of timing

Stead is not riding on the meeting no.

But I bet some Leicester fans have bought tickets for the opening meeting at the NSS and I bet a fair few Sheffield fans have to. Very weird time to put a inter league challenge meeting on.

Regarding the football. All matches are 3pm that day as the TV schedule is not sorted yet. So fear not. I'm 99% sure it will be the televised match on the Sunday. Making it a cracking weekend of sport in manchester

Great news on the much needed changes to the Leicester track. On both my visits there the racing has been pretty diabolical

And the issue with the shape was plain to see.

Really though, if this work was to be carried out, why wasn't it started after the end of the season, which would have given it ample opportunity to bed in? Was it a late decision to make the changes by the Leicester promotion?

Regardless of timing though it's great news for fans of speedway. The Leister stadium is very good and the track was the only thing to let it down. Hopefully these changes will bring proper racing back to the town and with it the excitement the sport is known for.

• Like 1

Great news on the much needed changes to the Leicester track. On both my visits there the racing has been pretty diabolical

Really though, if this work was to be carried out, why wasn't it started after the end of the season, which would have given it ample opportunity to bed in? Was it a late decision to make the changes by the Leicester promotion?

Regardless of timing though it's great news for fans of speedway. The Leister stadium is very good and the track was the only thing to let it down. Hopefully these changes will bring proper racing back to the town and with it the excitement the sport is known for.

It may have been that certain riders told DH that they would not sign for them while the track was the shape it was.

You could equally ask the question why was it not done a few years ago and the main reasons could be similar. As for this winter, there were some weekend training schools taking place and maybe availability of plant and labour to factor in as well.
  • Like 1

Re Track. Bends 3 and 4 are now awaiting the curb to go in then the top surface shale to finish. We have had a lot of rain. So we will put the curb in hopefully start next weekend. Bends 1 and 2 will start when this current weather improves.

The last thing I want is to have both ends to soft to go racing on. So as I said as soon as the weather picks up we will be on it.

Glyn

Thanks Glyn. Lets hope we get some dry weather soon then!

With all the potential problems of running the first meeting on Sat lunch e.g Car parking,work & child commitments,playing football/Rugby along with a number of fans wanting to go and already brought tickets for Belle Vue.

Is there any reason why the meeting could not be on Fri night at 19:30 as they could still have P&P at 12pm as proposed

With all the potential problems of running the first meeting on Sat lunch e.g Car parking,work & child commitments,playing football/Rugby along with a number of fans wanting to go and already brought tickets for Belle Vue.

Is there any reason why the meeting could not be on Fri night at 19:30 as they could still have P&P at 12pm as proposed

Bates and Garrity would be missing from Sheffield as they are riding for Coventry

Maybe its being done to cut down on the number of nights the foreign riders will have to spend over here, what with the press and practice day being on Friday, they may be able to fly home on Saturday. Might also save a few pennies on electricity ;) and generally keep people from freezing their najjers off.

Bates is a Sheffield asset so surely riding for the tigers take priority?

So if this Leicester meeting were re-arranged, you'd have Bates ride in a re-arranged Challenge fixture for his 2nd Division side over an 'apparently' official fixture for his 1st Division side that was on the original calendar?

You don't work for the BSPA by any chance do you? :rofl:

• Like 1

So if this Leicester meeting were re-arranged, you'd have Bates ride in a re-arranged Challenge fixture for his 2nd Division side over an 'apparently' official fixture for his 1st Division side that was on the original calendar?

You don't work for the BSPA by any chance do you? :rofl:

If it's a re-arranged it's a different discussion. As well you know.

• Like 1