British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2016

Which over the course of a 14 meeting season, is about 100 fans. Would Doyle have put 100 more fans on the gate than the yet unnamed Pole who is likely to be Leicester's number 1?

Not if that Pole is Gollob... It won't be, but I imagine the polish population of Leicester would be there on mass to support Mr G

Which over the course of a 14 meeting season, is about 100 fans. Would Doyle have put 100 more fans on the gate than the yet unnamed Pole who is likely to be Leicester's number 1?

No he wouldn't because he wouldn't have been there , so the 20.000 would have been wasted . which part of he left Leicester because they wouldn't dance to his tune do you fail to understand ?

• Like 3

Well there you go then, proof that David Hemsley has been right all along and no way will he ever alter the track now. :lol:

Bronze for Leicester Track

It was announced today that Leicester’s track was assessed as the third best in the 2015 Elite League Track of the Year award behind Wolverhampton and Swindon. The marks are awarded by the Speedway Control Bureau referees who officiate at each meeting and the areas for assessment include track preparation and surface, inner edge, infield, safety fence and airbag panels.

“We pride ourselves in creating a race track that is safe for the competitors which allows them to perform to their maximum. Our track curator Glyn Taylor creates a surface that is consistent from the start-line to the finish which means there is no real home advantage as it is fair to both teams and the riders are therefore able to race with confidence and close to one another” explained the Lions Promoter David Hemsley.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

Well, ignoring that bit it's obviously perfect....but not as perfect as Wolverhampton and Swindon. :wink: I find that bit strange about riders being able to race with 'confidence and close to one another' because whenever I've been it has mostly been strung out racing. Also numerous incidents on the bends as some riders seem to find them difficult to get round due to the shape of the track. :neutral: But that subject has been done to death so not much point in going on about it as nothing is going to change.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

Its only a referees' award!! What do they know?!

Shame there isn't a Riders' award for best track?!

I'm not convinced a rider's award would give particularly accurate results either, riders will often prefer a track which gives a smooth ride rather than providing great racing.

• Like 2

I personally think the racing at Leicester gets a lot more stick than it deserves...

yes, the track isn't the most conducive to racing, but the passing isn't as infrequent as everyone suggests. A lot of the people that criticise it have been once or seen it on tele and just jump on the critical bandwagon because its the done thing. It's not the best race track in the country, but the fact some people claim that they dont visit leicester because of the racing is a bit ridiculous IMO.

Ive been to most elite league tracks watching the Lions and dont feel theres that much difference between BP and other circuits. Yeah, sometimes the person that gates might just win the race, but its a lot easier to win when youre already ahead!

• Like 3

I personally think the racing at Leicester gets a lot more stick than it deserves...

yes, the track isn't the most conducive to racing, but the passing isn't as infrequent as everyone suggests. A lot of the people that criticise it have been once or seen it on tele and just jump on the critical bandwagon because its the done thing. It's not the best race track in the country, but the fact some people claim that they dont visit leicester because of the racing is a bit ridiculous IMO.

Ive been to most elite league tracks watching the Lions and dont feel theres that much difference between BP and other circuits. Yeah, sometimes the person that gates might just win the race, but its a lot easier to win when youre already ahead!

It's crap...I've been a season ticket holder for the last 4 seasons and the so called racing veers between mediocre and poor usually.

Very occasionally you get a decent race and/or meeting but nowhere near enough.....I must be a glutton for punishment because I still keep going in the hope seeing something to be excited about and sadly come away most weeks feeling let down again.

I live in hope of someone else taking over from Diamond Dave and giving the fans a track the supporters deserve.

• Like 2

All I can say to that is my husband was there from the beginning, even helping out when the stadium was being built, but he hasn't been at all this season so he's definitely not jumping on any bandwagon and he stuck it out for 3 years before giving up. It's just so sad that after waiting for 28 years for Speedway to return it's the shape of the track that lets it down. Everything else is spot on and they even withdrew their ban on dogs half way through the season ~ something else they've got right. That will get all the 'dogs shouldn't be allowed at Speedway' fans out of the woodwork. Although one will be missing. How is Robert72 these days? :lol:

Edited by Gemini

I been called a lot of things of late, but bias I am not. Having been to Leicester a few times I was pleasantly surprised in that the track was far better than I had been led to believe. I like the red colour, It is smooth and fast. Although the straights are a bit narrow, the corners have plenty of width. Ok, in the majority of races the rider who gates normally wins, but you can say that about most tracks. What I liked about the track it that it is smooth, and very safe. Sure , the racing line is narrow, but a rider behind, can impose himself on the rider in front. Sometime when pushing and nudging, the person in front will make a mistake.

I'm not saying its the best track we have visited, but its not the worse either, Nothing is worse than a track where the surface is irregular, bumpy and non-consistent. And there's quite a few of them around........

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 2

Leicester are the ones currently paying the price for the last decade where promoters in general have not looked to build an asset base of British riders who can compete at the highest level. Still happening today sadly, it is amazing to look at the current GB team manager who has a total Australian line up in his team.

Now that the top guys just want to race Sweden, Poland and GP/SEC, filling spare dates with the odd Danish or Czech match, we are reaping what we sowed.

Sad really, but when you look at PL teams, they are just filled with european journeymen too....

• Like 1