British Speedway Forum

Hancock Banned After Attacking An "innocent" Man As He Was Out Riding His Bike

SCB

Absolutely waihe (if I may call you that). I personally saw Dave Wills, Teo Teodorowicz and Vic Harding killed on the track. And, only a couple of weeks after I started going to speedway, Tink Maynard was killed. There were many more fatalities in the 60s and 70s than now.

Ivan stopped him in his tracks in about '63.

It was Ove Fundin at the 1965 Internationale who did for Ivor Brown. He suffered serious spine injuries. Though he did come back eventually, he was never the same rider again.

Edited by norbold

The four you named were arguably multiple world champs BECAUSE they didn't have bad injuries. Look at any era, the multiple world champs have very few major injuries over their career. But I believe far less riders have their careers ended by injury nowadays.

If I look to stars from the 80s, I canoff the top of my head name Gundersen, Jonsson, Sigalos, S Moran, Joe Owen, Jan O Pedersen whose careers were ended by major injuries. you could possibly add peter collins to that list. others such as knudsen and ermolenko recovered from major injuries, while i can remember plenty of other spending lengthy times on the sideline on multiple occasion (Carter, Evitts, Smith etc.). I can't think of too many modern era stars whose careers have been ended by injury?

and then of course were the fatalities, the likes of Hewlet, Aldertson, Pyeatt, Craig Featherby, Leif Wahlmann and others dies on trak in the 80s. In the 70s you had Jansson and Peterson off the top of my head. Apart from the tragic loss of Rico, I struggle to think of any other fatalities in the current decade?

guests weren't so prevalent in the 60s/70s as you didn't have the added complications of double uppers andriders missing due to european league commitments, often local juniors or number 8s would cover absences etc. Not sure why you think there being more teams in the league should make injuries more prolific? Unless you mean riders rode more meetings, but i don't think that's true as most EL riders are riding in at least one other league.

that's true (re airfeances), and possibly (re the bikes)

However the claim was that the top riders of yesteryear were seriously injured less often, and that's clearly not the case

You could sadly add Kevin Holden at Poole,a lad at exeter also Paul machene plus a young rider at kings lynn I think.

and then of course were the fatalities, the likes of Hewlet, Aldertson, Pyeatt, Craig Featherby, Leif Wahlmann and others dies on trak in the 80s. In the 70s you had Jansson and Peterson off the top of my head. Apart from the tragic loss of Rico, I struggle to think of any other fatalities in the current decade?

Martin Hewlett died of a brain hemorrhage not a track crash

shame nobody has invented a time machine, Pedersen, Millen, Chris Julian, Chris Blewett, Vic Lonsdale Reidar Eide, that would really have been a race

Dont forget Holder, Doyle And Kildemand

Absolutely waihe (if I may call you that). I personally saw Dave Wills, Teo Teodorowicz and Vic Harding killed on the track. And, only a couple of weeks after I started going to speedway, Tink Maynard was killed. There were many more fatalities in the 60s and 70s than now.

It was Ove Fundin at the 1965 Internationale who did for Ivor Brown. He suffered serious spine injuries. Though he did come back eventually, he was never the same rider again.

Was it a televised meeting on a Wednesday night.

You could sadly add Kevin Holden at Poole,a lad at exeter also Paul machene plus a young rider at kings lynn I think.

David Nix 2002

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

Was it a televised meeting on a Wednesday night.

David Knix ?

Yes that's right david Knix and it was tony Sanford at exeter.

I can remember Kevin Holden losing his life at Poole he was a really nice man,sad loss.

As to NP and people talking about him being a danger on the track,I guess he is not as dangerous as a rider willing to ride with alcohol in his system.

It's interesting the different angles people take on certain events isn't it?

Personally I'd have entitled the thread, 'Hancock unfairly banned for giving a dirty rider exactly what he deserved.'

Still, it's all about opinions isn't it.

• Like 1

Personally I'd have entitled the thread, 'Hancock unfairly banned for giving a dirty rider exactly what he deserved.'

And your opinion is advocating assaulting people.. brilliant.

• Like 1

And your opinion is advocating a rider continuingly putting his rivals in danger through reckless riding, and doing nothing about it..brilliant.

Something is done, a rider is excluded from a race.

In this particular case it's not even unanimous that Pedersen was at fault, but of course your bias won't allow you to see that.

In this particular case it's not even unanimous that Pedersen was at fault, but of course your bias won't allow you to see that.

There is Hancock bias and there is Pedersen bias.

Easy to see which bias you adhere to BW.

Personally I take the middle road - they were both at fault in this incident.

One-eyed BWitcher taking about bias - you couldn't make it up. :rofl:

All the best

Rob

Yeah, I don't like Pedersen. I've criticised him many times in the past.

My bias is really showing through... try again.

There is Hancock bias and there is Pedersen bias.

Easy to see which bias you adhere to BW.

Personally I take the middle road - they were both at fault in this incident.

Again, how is it 'easy' to see?

Biased towards a rider is when you favour them, every single time, regardless of the situation.

I most certainly don't do that with Pedersen. In this particular case I don't believe his move was bad. That is all. Others will think differently, again that's their opinion, no issues there.

Edited by BWitcher

If it was just one isolated incident then yes, Hancock would've been out of order doing what he did. It wasn't though was it, Pedersen has been making reckless moves on riders, including Hancock for years.

Everybody has their breaking point, if it wasn't Greg it would've been anyone of a number of other riders he's rubbed up the wrong way over the years, lets face it, it's quite a list!

Gollob used to knock riders off left, right and centre until a 'quiet word from Boycie' calmed him down.

Judging by the way he cowardly kicked that middle-aged geezer and ran off in Poland, and then a couple of days later starts waving his arm about and retires from a race in Sweden when he's cleanly passed by Laguta, proves in Nicki's case, once a prat...always a prat!

• Like 1

It's irrelevant how many times Nicki has Nicki'd other riders. You can't have riders launching full on assaults in the middle of the track (behind the pits, then maybe ;) ). No matter how much you or anyone else thinks Nicki had it coming (personally I'm in the he's had it coming for a while camp) Greg was well out of order and has got off quite lightly IMO.

• Like 4

That's a bizarre way of putting it. Whether NP deserved it or not is irrelevant. There is no rule that says Greg is the sole arbiter of who has what coming to them.if one rider attacks another in that way, he has to have a punishment otherwise it would descend into a free for all.

• Like 1

And your opinion is advocating a rider continuingly putting his rivals in danger through reckless riding, and doing nothing about it..brilliant.

I remember a junior rider taking people off on a regular basis, he was out of control most of the time,I don't remember anyone doing to him what Hancock did to pedersen and he was lethal.