British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2016

Len Silver reminds me a little of Arsene Wenger. Both had early success, but not much to speak of in recent years. Both very strong minded, some may say arrogant. Both like Marmite, either love em or hate em

to be honest shads, regarding arsene wenger, I've tended to sit on the fence until this seasons transfer window. As for Len silver, being a lifelong Wimbledon fan, I've never liked him!
  • Like 1

Surely all the rye fans should be chuffed silvers gone - theyve wanted him out for years !

It's not the fact he's gone, it's the new promotion being new to speedway that's worrying some people.

Maybe they bring in someone to help them with the team matters and rider contracts who has experience.

Must be taking advice from someone surely?

What an awful thing for Len Silver not saying good bye to the fans at Rye and nothing on the Rye website. This taken from the Kent website.

"It was a day of farewells also for the former rider and long-time Speedway team manager with Mr. Silver taking his leave from the track hes been involved in since the 1970s over the Thames, in Hertfordshire as he explained,

I have today resigned my position as co-promoter at Rye House Speedway. In leaving, I wish the new owners and promoters led by Warren Scott, every success in the future. I would like, in particular, to thank my trusty lieutenant John Sampford (also Kent Kings team manager in their first two seasons) for his outstanding work with me at Rye House over the last 16 years, most of which goes un-noticed by the general public and to those others who have contributed to my happy times in East Hertford going back to the early 1970s - they are too numerous to mention.

The tireless octogenarian has no plans to put his feet up though,

Do not take this statement to indicate that I am in anyway going into so-called "retirement". I will still work seven days a week for Speedway just as I always have.

Thats included just this week taking delivery and laying down a further twenty tonnes of new shale at the circuit at Central Park, which is planning to reopen with a meeting on Good Friday 2016 a visit from the popular American Dream Team in April also in the pipeline."

Can't believe it was a spur of the moment decision, he must've planned this weeks if not months ago. Very odd

Edited by Shads

Thanks to 'uncle' Len the teams that he put together in the mid to late 00's meant I became a speedway enthusiast and although the last few years haven't been great its sad to see him almost sneak out the back door but hopefully this will be the start of a brighter era at Rye as the past 3 or so years haven't been much fun!!

Obviously some concerns over track preparation for next year but there should be more positives than negatives with this change.

Could we now see a decent team, stadium upgrade continuing, new presentation, better communications from management, supporters club and who knows even better fish and chips and draught beer in the bar!!

Not been to a meeting since the Doyle "get lost" statement, despite being a regular since the re-opening, but I feel a re-appearance coming on next season.

Ive got a feeling Paul that the farewell was probably out of his hands.

I have feeling the current promoters are not easy people to work alongside of.

Still nothing on the Rye site, just shows again how unprofessional they are.

Be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Ive got a feeling Paul that the farewell was probably out of his hands.

I have feeling the current promoters are not easy people to work alongside of.

Still nothing on the Rye site, just shows again how unprofessional they are.

Be interesting to see how this all pans out.

i have to agree with you. Len silver is not my cup of tea, but under his ownership the future of the club seemed secure. The new promoters have a big job on their hands, to upgrade a deteriorating stadium and increase an ever shrinking fan base. Uncertain times ahead for the rockets I fear.

Pretty obvious this would be the outcome after another awful season.

I certainly won't be shedding a tear for silvers departure but he deserves thanks for his efforts up to 2010 for the club. He tidied up the stadium and signed some real quality young talent that were a joy to watch. The last five years have been abysmal & embarrassing. Rye should have been dominating the PL along with Edinburgh the last ten years but Silver became to arrogant & stuck in his ways. The last straw for me was when he basically told the fans to F off over the Jason Doyle episode. That showed Silver had become too arrogant and had lost touch. The lack of ambition that move showed was terrible. A lot of fans lost respect for him that day.

It truly can't be any worse than the last five years so we need to see what Scott can do. He's had a season of seeing how not to do things so hopefully he can put right lens wrongs and get the club to where it should be.

There's no reason if the stadium improvements are carried out and a good side is put together that the crowds won't return. Rye must have been averaging around the 1500 mark in the mid to late 2000's when Silver built good, exciting sides.

The ingredients are there for the club to be one of the best in the PL and eventually EL if Scott makes the right decisions.

There's no reason if the stadium improvements are carried out and a good side is put together that the crowds won't return. Rye must have been averaging around the 1500 mark in the mid to late 2000's when Silver built good, exciting sides.

The ingredients are there for the club to be one of the best in the PL and eventually EL if Scott makes the right decisions.

Have to agree with Chris. Those who attended the Pair Of Aces meeting would've seen the healthy crowd for a nothing meeting. With an exciting winning side, the right promotion and a more up to date meeting presentation I'm sure the fans will return.

• Like 2

Getting rid of those magnificent men in there flying machines would be a good start

And selling fish again as in fish and chips.not sure what I've had the last few times but it wasnt cod.last time they were just cooking it so I thought it's got to be ok this time.wrong!

Getting rid of those magnificent men in there flying machines would be a good start

And selling fish again as in fish and chips.not sure what I've had the last few times but it wasnt cod.last time they were just cooking it so I thought it's got to be ok this time.wrong!

Pleased to report the proper fish was back this year

What happened with Doyle ?

We declared a team way under the points limit, Boxall was injured pre-season (I won't go into the details) and Doyle was drafted in, naturally making the team far better than the one that we had originally declared.

Doyle was scoring well and as Boxall was nearing a return we could have dropped a second string/reserve for Boxall if I recall correctly, meaning Doyle could stay and we would have Boxall back too as a second string/reserve as opposed to a heat leader. Anyway, Len dropped Doyle and Boxall came back to revert to the original 1-7 that we declared way under the points limit, then to rub salt into the fans' wounds he went on the mic before a meeting basically telling the fans it was his team and he could do what he liked with it.

I think a lot of fans stayed away after that, it has certainly made me stop making as many trips to Rye since.

We declared a team way under the points limit, Boxall was injured pre-season (I won't go into the details) and Doyle was drafted in, naturally making the team far better than the one that we had originally declared.

Doyle was scoring well and as Boxall was nearing a return we could have dropped a second string/reserve for Boxall if I recall correctly, meaning Doyle could stay and we would have Boxall back too as a second string/reserve as opposed to a heat leader. Anyway, Len dropped Doyle and Boxall came back to revert to the original 1-7 that we declared way under the points limit, then to rub salt into the fans' wounds he went on the mic before a meeting basically telling the fans it was his team and he could do what he liked with it.

I think a lot of fans stayed away after that, it has certainly made me stop making as many trips to Rye since.

Len Silver shooting himself in the foot twice.