British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2016

We declared a team way under the points limit, Boxall was injured pre-season (I won't go into the details) and Doyle was drafted in, naturally making the team far better than the one that we had originally declared.

Doyle was scoring well and as Boxall was nearing a return we could have dropped a second string/reserve for Boxall if I recall correctly, meaning Doyle could stay and we would have Boxall back too as a second string/reserve as opposed to a heat leader. Anyway, Len dropped Doyle and Boxall came back to revert to the original 1-7 that we declared way under the points limit, then to rub salt into the fans' wounds he went on the mic before a meeting basically telling the fans it was his team and he could do what he liked with it.

I think a lot of fans stayed away after that, it has certainly made me stop making as many trips to Rye since.

That's pretty much how I remember it.

He attempted to explain that he couldn't keep

Doyle due to averages, but nobody believed a word of it. After a lot of disgruntled supporters took to social media and this forum to voice their disapproval, Silver used the local newspaper to verbally attack certain Rye House fans (me included). I still have the cutting... A PR disaster

Edited by Shads

Doyle due to averages, but nobody believed a word of it. After a lot of disgruntled supporters took to social media and this forum to voice their disapproval, Silver used the local newspaper to verbally attack certain Rye House fans (me included). I still have the cutting... A PR disaster

Showing loyalty to Steve Boxall would be the only plus point for Len Silver. He paid the bills and can pay who he wants but if he slags off his paying supporters he will lose business.

Think it was possible to drop Hawkins or Bowen to get Boxall back in, instead Doyle went. Of course it could be said hindsight is a wonderful thing seeing as Doyle is now a GP rider but he was an out and out PL number one back then too. I'm sure we ended that year with James Brundle racing for us too...

We declared a team way under the points limit, Boxall was injured pre-season (I won't go into the details) and Doyle was drafted in, naturally making the team far better than the one that we had originally declared.

Doyle was scoring well and as Boxall was nearing a return we could have dropped a second string/reserve for Boxall if I recall correctly, meaning Doyle could stay and we would have Boxall back too as a second string/reserve as opposed to a heat leader. Anyway, Len dropped Doyle and Boxall came back to revert to the original 1-7 that we declared way under the points limit, then to rub salt into the fans' wounds he went on the mic before a meeting basically telling the fans it was his team and he could do what he liked with it.

I think a lot of fans stayed away after that, it has certainly made me stop making as many trips to Rye since.

The decision to revert back to the original 1-7 wasn't a good one, but I think shows the loyalty he has to his riders. He had only signed Doyley as a short term replacement and I think everyone was aware of that at the time. Problem was Doyley was always going to a better points scorer & more reliable than Boxall. Personally I'd have kept Doyley but to keep Doyley and bring back Boxall would have meant sacking other riders. I have to admit that IMO, and as someone who gets on with him, the way that Len dealt with the crowd over the decision was pretty appalling.

The decision to revert back to the original 1-7 wasn't a good one, but I think shows the loyalty he has to his riders. He had only signed Doyley as a short term replacement and I think everyone was aware of that at the time. Problem was Doyley was always going to a better points scorer & more reliable than Boxall. Personally I'd have kept Doyley but to keep Doyley and bring back Boxall would have meant sacking other riders. I have to admit that IMO, and as someone who gets on with him, the way that Len dealt with the crowd over the decision was pretty appalling.

Steve Boxall was Silvers favourite, he was never gonna be dropped

Getting rid of those magnificent men in there flying machines would be a good start

Not necessarily a good move IMO.

Of course it's naff but that's the hook. The Spedeworth Oval promotors use some pretty dreadful dated music for their racing classes but If you drift away and forget the sport you will always be reminded where you heard it and hopefully it will bring back good memories.

Where are You Now My Love by Jackie Trent will always remind me of Hackney on a Friday night :oops:

Not necessarily a good move IMO.

Of course it's naff but that's the hook. The Spedeworth Oval promotors use some pretty dreadful dated music for their racing classes but If you drift away and forget the sport you will always be reminded where you heard it and hopefully it will bring back good memories. Where are You Now My Love by Jackie Trent will always remind me of Hackney on a Friday night :oops:

The whole thing needs a revamp. Can't just cater for sixty-something's who wanna be reminded of the "good days"

• Like 3

The whole thing needs a revamp. Can't just cater for sixty-something's who wanna be reminded of the "good days"

Quite right lets dig out some Ronnie Russell music to remind us of the bad old days that should get rid of a few more punters

Fantasy Speedway Promoter time!

1 Robert Lambert 8.34

2 Kenneth Bjerre 8.22

3 Nikolaj B Jacobsen 6.91

4 Steve Boxall 6.15

5 Kasper L Nielsen 5.74

6 Luke Bowen 4.09

7 Ben Morley 3.00

Total: 42.45

Surely we need to move away from the Boxall Bowen days and Ben Morely with all due respect to him is nowhere near a good enough PL reserve unless he has a strong partner to take the pressure off of him

Quite right lets dig out some Ronnie Russell music to remind us of the bad old days that should get rid of a few more punters

Surely we need to move away from the Boxall Bowen days and Ben Morely with all due respect to him is nowhere near a good enough PL reserve unless he has a strong partner to take the pressure off of him

Don't forget every PL team will have a 3 point rider, so surely Morley will be one of the strongest number 7's in the league?

• Like 2

Do you have the play list?