British Speedway Forum

Ole Olsen Racing On Dvd

TonyMac

Love him or hate him, he was a brilliant rider. One of the best passers of all time. I have his race bib from his final (1975) season racing for Wolves. He signed it and gave it to my mom after the last race of the season against Cradley Heathens. I have put it on ebay if anyone is interested as I have no where to display it. It's a bit of history and shouldn't be stuffed in a bag in the loft.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ole-Olsens-Wolverhampton-Wolves-1975-season-final-season-Race-Jacket-signed-/111780707182?hash=item1a06a63b6e

Love him or hate him, he was a brilliant rider. One of the best passers of all time. I have his race bib from his final (1975) season racing for Wolves. He signed it and gave it to my mom after the last race of the season against Cradley Heathens. I have put it on ebay if anyone is interested as I have no where to display it. It's a bit of history and shouldn't be stuffed in a bag in the loft.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ole-Olsens-Wolverhampton-Wolves-1975-season-final-season-Race-Jacket-signed-/111780707182?hash=item1a06a63b6e

£1,000 for Ole's racejacket! He must have meant a lot to someone!

I might have to have a rummage in the loft....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Let's spin this the other way round.

If we still had the one off- final today, who do we think would have won over, say, the last five years and why.

Greg Hancock would be the most likely winner. With his gating prowess, he'd have more chance of an unbeaten night.

Tai couldn't just 'cruise and do enough' anymore.

Nicki would more than likely suffer an exclusion somewhere along the way.

Not one of my favourites! Rarely put in an appearance at Oxford for one reason or another. Also never appreciated his manipulative style!

You mean the way he 'manipulated' his (often far inferior) Coventry race partner into a 5-1 position! Don't think Alan Molyneux - for one - would agree with you, Steve.

Didn't Ole break his shoulder at Cowley in '73 or 74?

You mean the way he 'manipulated' his (often far inferior) Coventry race partner into a 5-1 position! Don't think Alan Molyneux - for one - would agree with you, Steve.

Didn't Ole break his shoulder at Cowley in '73 or 74?

I am not questioning his team riding abilities (although I remember Gordon Kennett's superlative effort when at White City he came thru' from third to first outwitting the above two mentioned!) but his head strong and bullying actions towards other riders who didn't 'toe the Olsen line!'

As regards his non appearances at Cowley (yes he did indeed break a collar bone (?) in 1973 when exiting the second bend) but for his non appearance in the 1974 British league encounter (broken down?) and in 1975.

To quote from programme notes:

"Of course many of you were disappointed as indeed your promoters were at the non-appearance of 1975 World Champion Ole Olsen...It is in my view a great pity that a man who was crowned such a worthy champion should treat the speedway public in this way, and I can assure that he Wolves team manager was as fed with the whole business as we were"

He also managed to miss the Midland Cup Final encounter at Cowley where Martin Ashby deputised!

I am not questioning his team riding abilities (although I remember Gordon Kennett's superlative effort when at White City he came thru' from third to first outwitting the above two mentioned!) but his head strong and bullying actions towards other riders who didn't 'toe the Olsen line!'

As regards his non appearances at Cowley (yes he did indeed break a collar bone (?) in 1973 when exiting the second bend) but for his non appearance in the 1974 British league encounter (broken down?) and in 1975.

To quote from programme notes:

"Of course many of you were disappointed as indeed your promoters were at the non-appearance of 1975 World Champion Ole Olsen...It is in my view a great pity that a man who was crowned such a worthy champion should treat the speedway public in this way, and I can assure that he Wolves team manager was as fed with the whole business as we were"

He also managed to miss the Midland Cup Final encounter at Cowley where Martin Ashby deputised!

And as a footnote...how pleased I was when Olsen turned down a move to Cowley prior to the 1975 season when we got the majestic Dag Lovaas instead!

• Like 1