British Speedway Forum

Tactical Rides - Tactical Substitute - Guest Rules

Phil

When I first attended speedway in 1987, I seem to remember that it took me 3 - 4 meetings to get to grips with the basic rules - Tactical subs, rider replacement etc. I have not been in a position to attend regularly since about '95, but until the past couple of year had always managed a few meetings each season, thus ensuring I stayed reasonably up to date. NOW I am looking forward to attending my first meeting in a long while tonight at Foxhall ("Come on you Witches!!!") and am in the position of being completely flummoxed by all these ridiculous new rules!

Whatever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

• 1 month later...

In view of the farces of riders deliberately not finishing in order to fall 8 pts behind (Stoke vs Glasgow, Eastbourne vs Poole, Newcastle vs Reading), it has been suggested to revert to previous tac sub after 6 pts behind.

However lets not kid ourselves, riders still threw points away to fall 6 pts behind also. :sad:

The only solution to arrest this growing trend, is to scrap all forms of tac subs/tac rides, and revert to only permitting reserves to take additional rides in hts 1 -14, with each rider guaranteed a minimum of 3 rides.

It ain't new - this is how it used to work in the good old days when the sport had some credibility.

Guest slider

Something has to be done about the tactical rules sooner rather than later. We cannot have" race fixing" blatant or otherwise particularly when we now allow betting. The whole sport will be viewed as a farce.

We probably need to get rid of tactical subs/rides or whatever - you cannot reward under achievement !

• 1 month later...
TR, points count as what would have normally been scored. ie 3 - 2 - 1 - 0

TS, points scored are not used in calculating averages.

Partners bonus points are scored as normal including TS ride.

something ive never quite been able to work out but...

in a TS ride, the pts (and the ride!) get ignored for the guy who has started on the handicap.

however, his partner still gets awarded a bonus pt (included in his average too!) if he finishes behind him.

how can you get a bonus pt for finishing behind someone who wasnt supposedly even there in the first place?? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I have been out of the game for a while and I find the new tactical substitute rules confusing too. I also experienced first hand last week Andre Compton throwing a race during Sheffield v Hull. Its something I never saw under the old rules, so back to them ASAP.

Given a ridiculous but entirely possible conclusion, you could have two riders trying to finish behin an opponent..........