British Speedway Forum

Berwick Statement

The best marketing manager in the world may be able to entice new sponsors in, but keeping them involved and coming back for more is a totally different challenge. For starters, the corporate entertainment facilities have to be top notch - and how many speedway venues are left that can boast those?

Not saying Berwick, but how many tracks have you been to and found disgusting, unusable toilets and dirty windows and stands?

And what do you say to your new big sponsor, who has invested thousands to back your team or perhaps one or two meetings, when countless meetings are cancelled because speedway still hasn't found a way to cover tracks and REDUCE (it can never entirely eliminate them) rain-offs?

How to explain the haphazard fixture list that changes with the weather?

I know of one Elite League rider who flatly refused the simple request to pose with a young child and the child's father in the pits, well before the start of the meeting.

I wouldn't envy the task of any marketing person in modern speedway.

The sort of corporate you would sell in Berwick, would be like works outings etc. There aren't too many higher class sponsors in Berwick to target. I would think the facilities at Berwick could cater for this. As for a "big" sponsor, again I would say the likes of Berwick would be looking to target large private businesses in the area.

But the way I would get a sponsor on board is to ask what you could do for them in return, I really don't know what different businesses would be looking for. Personally I've never met a speedway rider who has refused an autograph, photo or the like, but if the example you gave is true, then that is shocking.

Keeping sponsors happy is important, give them as much exposure as possible. That is something a lot of promoters, riders and the like need to learn. The best example I can give is to take a look at Nicki Pedersen's facebook page. Nearly every day he has photos of himself meeting sponsors and giving them publicity. He acts like a true professional in that regard. Could do worse than follow his lead.

• Like 1