British Speedway Forum

Berwick Statement

Can anyone think of anyone who would be willing to put money into Berwick speedway to keep it going? I can only think of one person who likes speedway, goes to Berwick and is known to have money

Why not put them in touch with the promotion?

Would a change of race night make a difference to attendances at Berwick?

My understanding is that the regulation re race nights was put in place in order to decrease the number of fans who might travel, eg if Berwick was on a Sunday it is taking fans away from Glasgow/Newcastle (although I am not 100% sure if that is correct).

It is a big gamble to take but would speedway be better attended in Berwick on a Friday night/Sunday afternoon, even the idea is possibly easier said than done due to logistics re noise regulations in place and attracting riders etc.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the regulation re race nights was put in place in order to decrease the number of fans who might travel, eg if Berwick was on a Sunday it is taking fans away from Glasgow/Newcastle (although I am not 100% sure if that is correct).

It is a big gamble to take but would speedway be better attended in Berwick on a Friday night/Sunday afternoon, even the idea is possibly easier said than done due to logistics re noise regulations in place and attracting riders etc.

All of which is a good idea, but you would need to get the councils agreement.

I should have gone to Specsavers. :o;)

• Like 3

Sunday's are a BIG NO NO with Berwick council

Sunday's are a BIG NO NO with Berwick council

Extremely luck to have saturday's when it comes to the idiots of Berwick Council.

Like i have stated in the past on here, once its gone its gone, not a cat in hells chance the Council would let speedway return.

Although "to the point" did mention that they have a five year window for it to return? no idea where this information comes from!

Edited by penchev

Extremely luck to have saturday's when it comes to the idiots of Berwick Council.

Like i have stated in the past on here, once its gone its gone, not a cat in hells chance the Council would let speedway return.

Although "to the point" did mention that they have a five year window for it to return? no idea where this information comes from!

This very much surprises me. The Speedway brings business to the Town. The Speedway is publicised on the Television, in the Press etc. bringing Berwick to public notice. Publicity for the Town. Even if the benefits are only small - they are still benefits. Berwick is a Tourist spot - it needs to give folk something to do.

The Council cannot be a very pro business outfit if they are prepared to sacrifice any sort of income at all, no matter how small.

This very much surprises me. The Speedway brings business to the Town. The Speedway is publicised on the Television, in the Press etc. bringing Berwick to public notice. Publicity for the Town. Even if the benefits are only small - they are still benefits. Berwick is a Tourist spot - it needs to give folk something to do.

The Council cannot be a very pro business outfit if they are prepared to sacrifice any sort of income at all, no matter how small.

The same could be said, pretty much, of any track next to houses.

If any track were to close down, then want to re-open, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't have to apply for planning permission again, which, nine time out of ten, would be turned down.

Planning law

The same could be said, pretty much, of any track next to houses.

If any track were to close down, then want to re-open, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't have to apply for planning permission again, which, nine time out of ten, would be turned down.

Planning law states that if a rule has been made in these circumstances, if it is not used within a 5 year period, the planning application will lapse and will have to be re applied for. In those circumstances it is unlikely to be passed again in a built up area. The Council can only work with the rules set down, and an individuaL Councillor must do the bidding of his or her electorate.

• Like 1

Planning law

Planning law states that if a rule has been made in these circumstances, if it is not used within a 5 year period, the planning application will lapse and will have to be re applied for. In those circumstances it is unlikely to be passed again in a built up area. The Council can only work with the rules set down, and an individuaL Councillor must do the bidding of his or her electorate.

Does that mean that if you close down for four years, you can automatically start up again without recourse to the Council?

In a way, that would be comforting.

Planning law

Planning law states that if a rule has been made in these circumstances, if it is not used within a 5 year period, the planning application will lapse and will have to be re applied for. In those circumstances it is unlikely to be passed again in a built up area. The Council can only work with the rules set down, and an individual Councillor must do the bidding of his or her electorate.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

You don't know our council, most of them are being investigated on by the fraud squad at this moment in time over money given to the town, they're as dodgy as an Turkish market

Why not put them in touch with the promotion?

I only know of him and he doesn't live in the country, considering his son rides at number 6 I'm sure that he'll know by now
  • Like 2

All of which is a good idea, but you would need to get the councils agreement.

Surely it wouldn't be a hardship to approach the council as regards change of race day. Back in the late 70's Sunday afternoon meetings always seemed to be well attended not sure about Friday night's as fixtures could be difficult with Edinburgh,Plymouth,Somerset,Scunthorpe also riding on them night's.

Does that mean that if you close down for four years, you can automatically start up again without recourse to the Council?

In a way, that would be comforting.

That is my understanding of it, had this discussion with PW before he sold it

You don't know our council, most of them are being investigated on by the fraud squad at this moment in time over money given to the town, they're as dodgy as an Turkish market

I only know of him and he doesn't live in the country, considering his son rides at number 6 I'm sure that he'll know by now

Berwick Town Council, is a Parish Council who have no jurisdiction on planning, all planning is done under the County Council, based In Morpeth at County Hall. Berwick , Tweedmouth & Spittal have 3 councillors who represent us at a County level, Gavin Jones, Isabel Hunter and Jim Smith, non of which are under investigation.

What you are talking about are certain individuals who are hell bent on causing disruption at any cost to Berwick as long as they get their very narrow views across with a very political bias. Due to these individuals we have lost some very able Councillors and a very good Town Clerk has been driven out. The claim is these people were the problem, strange thing the same problems remain, so perhaps the wrong people have gone.

Surely it wouldn't be a hardship to approach the council as regards change of race day. Back in the late 70's Sunday afternoon meetings always seemed to be well attended not sure about Friday night's as fixtures could be difficult with Edinburgh,Plymouth,Somerset,Scunthorpe also riding on them night's.

No it wouldn't be a hardship, but as has already been pointed out Berwick Speedway seem to get little or no leeway when it comes to an alternate night now never mind asking for a complete change of race night. Back in the seventies Sunday afternoon meetings may well have been well attended but I think the rules regarding and regulating speedway at Shielfield have changed a bit since then.

I still think a club could be profitable, but it would need a lot of work. Just my opinion but you would need to spend quite a bit of money, firstly attracting fans back, whatever the best way would be to do that and secondly, keeping the fans there, by looking at different forms of entertainment, pre-meeting and between races.

Also, just my opinion, but if you aggressively went after sponsorship, in it's various forms (including corporate) then this would go a long way to funding the costs of the sport. But again, this would need a bit of spending, to go after a full time marketing employee.

To just come along and throw money at a club the way things stand would be wasting money. But the more time and effort you invested, the more return you would get.

The best marketing manager in the world may be able to entice new sponsors in, but keeping them involved and coming back for more is a totally different challenge. For starters, the corporate entertainment facilities have to be top notch - and how many speedway venues are left that can boast those?

Not saying Berwick, but how many tracks have you been to and found disgusting, unusable toilets and dirty windows and stands?

And what do you say to your new big sponsor, who has invested thousands to back your team or perhaps one or two meetings, when countless meetings are cancelled because speedway still hasn't found a way to cover tracks and REDUCE (it can never entirely eliminate them) rain-offs?

How to explain the haphazard fixture list that changes with the weather?

I know of one Elite League rider who flatly refused the simple request to pose with a young child and the child's father in the pits, well before the start of the meeting.

I wouldn't envy the task of any marketing person in modern speedway.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 3

No it wouldn't be a hardship, but as has already been pointed out Berwick Speedway seem to get little or no leeway when it comes to an alternate night now never mind asking for a complete change of race night. Back in the seventies Sunday afternoon meetings may well have been well attended but I think the rules regarding and regulating speedway at Shielfield have changed a bit since then.

Think the county council were more helpful than town council as regards alternative race night's
  • Like 1