British Speedway Forum

Tragedy: Kenny Carter New In Ebook Format

TonyMac

Hold fire! We'll have Simmo's The Whole Truth out there in eBook before then, along with a few others hopefully...

Excellent - Alan Carter's book and Simmo's were the two in particular (after Kenny's) that I was hoping for, as regards to becoming available on Kindle. :t:

Tmc - slightly off topic but on the Kenny Carter DVD was footage of the 84 overseas final at Hyde rd. That's the only footage - bar one heat on YouTube - I've seen of that meeting. Is the whole meeting recorded somewhere? Would love to rewatch it. I remember it as a really good Hyde rd meeting on a sunny manchester afternoon.

I haven't seen the DVD - does it look like pro footage? If so it'll be from ITV's broadcast. If I recall correctly, they sent a crew at the last minute to cover Carter's story as much as anything else and it was combined with fuller highlights of the Intercontinental Final. That's the only footage I've ever seen from that meeting.

The big question for me is - who choose that ghastly font for 'Tragedy'? Dearie me...

Having just finished this book on Kindle, after reading about it on here a couple of days ago, I've got to agree with many of the reviews expressed; a thoroughly absorbing read. It was also fantastic to launch YouTube and re-watch some of the events covered in the text including the obvious 1982 World Final incident. £4.99 was a good price - especially considering the ridiculous sums being quoted for buying a second hand hard copy!

It's definitely whet my appetite to read more from this era so I'll keep a keen eye and fingers firmly crossed for more being released on Kindle (especially the Malcolm Simmons, John Berry and Chris Morton books). Having just offloaded several hundred books from my overflowing book cases I'm keen to limit my reading to the Kindle these days.

Edited by Tkdandy

Having just finished this book on Kindle, after reading about it on here a couple of days ago, I've got to agree with many of the reviews expressed; a thoroughly absorbing read. It was also fantastic to launch YouTube and re-watch some of the events covered in the text including the obvious 1982 World Final incident. £4.99 was a good price - especially considering the ridiculous sums being quoted for buying a second hand hard copy!

It's definitely whet my appetite to read more from this era so I'll keep a keen eye and fingers firmly crossed for more being released on Kindle (especially the Malcolm Simmons, John Berry and Chris Morton books). Having just offloaded several hundred books from my overflowing book cases I'm keen to limit my reading to the Kindle these days.

I can thoroughly recommend the Malcolm Simmons and both the John Berry Books. Both are great reads. :t::approve: :approve:

• Like 1

I haven't seen the DVD - does it look like pro footage? If so it'll be from ITV's broadcast. If I recall correctly, they sent a crew at the last minute to cover Carter's story as much as anything else and it was combined with fuller highlights of the Intercontinental Final. That's the only footage I've ever seen from that meeting.

The big question for me is - who choose that ghastly font for 'Tragedy'? Dearie me...

Pretty sure you are right and it is itv footage.
  • Like 1

As I recall, ITV didn't show the Overseas final that year, but had a single camera there to show a couple of Kenny Carter races. I remember one of them was against Phil Crump.

Why would I remember that? Why??

• Like 1

Good to see the "real" Belle Vue track again. I didnt get to see KC much but always nice to see racers having a go.

Re the book Tragedy - Kenny Carter, I just finished a book, 12 Years A Slave (recommend it) so tonight I will start on the Tragedy e-book.

Let you know my views as I get in to it.

• Like 1

Pretty sure you are right and it is itv footage.

Yes, ITV covered just a few of Carter's races as part of his battle to overcome his 1984 injuries.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

When you get a sec, would you mind please adding a review to the Amazon Kindle Store site, as this is the best way we can grow sales to readers from the non-speedway sector. Very much appreciated.

We will obviously publicise availability of the Simmo book and the others as, and when, they appear in e-book format.

Excellent - Alan Carter's book and Simmo's were the two in particular (after Kenny's) that I was hoping for, as regards to becoming available on Kindle. :t:

Simmo's book will hopefully be available from the Amazon Kindle during August.

Alan Carter is currently working on an update of his printed book, so we'll let you know when that is ready.

TM these books you have written the ones i have named , did you do your research and know 100 per cent they would be a success or was it a risk on your part.?These riders for me are the riders i would of chosen, but i didn't realise they would be so popular and be alot of other people's choices as well.On the DVD side i wish somebody could come along and produce some of those old Screensport meetings.I loved those, a couple of meetings i would love to get are Reading v Ipswich ( Riss rode? ) and Reading v Newcastle in 84 keep up the great work.

How could we possibly know "100 %" that they would sell as well as they have? With the rising costs of print and paper, everything in publishing has some risks attached, because you are gambling on the initial print run and it's really just an educated guess how many copies you print initially. The smaller the print run, the more it costs per unit to print, so it's best to print what you think will be the ultimate number sold from the outset - and thankfully, we've been very accurate in this respect. Most of our speedway books have sold out - albeit some sooner than others - so we've not been left with unsold stock.

You have to weigh up the subject matter and be sufficiently satisfied that there will be enough general interest in the person concerned - Carter, Simmo, Lee, Berry, etc. We usually base our judgement calls on the author's character - is he interesting enough? - and the merit of his story both inside and outside speedway. Yes, admittedly, a controversial element is always important, too, but general appeal also counts. There are some ex-riders who could write a book that would sell OK-ish at their local track, but have little appeal beyond there.

And honesty is a hugely important factor, probably the biggest as far as we are concerned. Are they prepared to tell it like it was, warts and all? Mike Lee, Simmo and JB all fell very much into this category and that very much explains why their books all sold very well. Who wants to read an autobiography where the author conveniently ignores the big issues in his life and only wants to write about the good stuff?

Riding ability doesn't count for everything. There are plenty of ex-star riders whose life stories, in and out of speedway, wouldn't sell enough copies to make it commercially viable. Indeed, we have turned down a number of approaches from ex-riders (former No.1's and world finalists) and promoters because we simply don't think there will be enough interest in a book in their name.

Alan Carter is probably a classic (rare) example of a non-speedway rider whose extraordinary story, based largely on his very close association with Kenny, has been a big seller.

TM these books you have written the ones i have named , did you do your research and know 100 per cent they would be a success or was it a risk on your part.?These riders for me are the riders i would of chosen, but i didn't realise they would be so popular and be alot of other people's choices as well.On the DVD side i wish somebody could come along and produce some of those old Screensport meetings.I loved those, a couple of meetings i would love to get are Reading v Ipswich ( Riss rode? ) and Reading v Newcastle in 84 keep up the great work.

Sidney, all the old Screensport, KM Video and MBI Video meetings are now in the safe hands of Jan Staechmann and his Classic Speedway Videos business. I believe Jan is still in the process of updating his catalogue but if you are after copies of specific meetings from the mid-80s period, check out his website at www.classicspeedwayvideos.com

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

I bought the kindle edition and have already read the book from cover to cover.

It really brings back a sense of the sport and the characters within the sport some 30 years ago. Reading about the personal challenges Carter faced from such an early age provides more understanding of his driven, some what selfish character.

The nature of his rags to riches rise up the speedway ladder is well written along with the rivalry with the likes of PC, Penhall and virtually everyone else!

People talk of his unfulfilled talent, but this excellent book reaffirms just what an exceptional talent he was on a speedway bike and with more than a little luck he could have become World Champion.

The last few chapters are a tough read and my heart goes out to the Carter and Lund families for having to live with the fallout of what happened in May 1986. Immense credit too towards Alan Carter for his frankness and honest appraisal of what went on.

I bought the kindle edition and have already read the book from cover to cover.

It really brings back a sense of the sport and the characters within the sport some 30 years ago. Reading about the personal challenges Carter faced from such an early age provides more understanding of his driven, some what selfish character.

The nature of his rags to riches rise up the speedway ladder is well written along with the rivalry with the likes of PC, Penhall and virtually everyone else!

People talk of his unfulfilled talent, but this excellent book reaffirms just what an exceptional talent he was on a speedway bike and with more than a little luck he could have become World Champion.

The last few chapters are a tough read and my heart goes out to the Carter and Lund families for having to live with the fallout of what happened in May 1986. Immense credit too towards Alan Carter for his frankness and honest appraisal of what went on.

Many thanks for your kind words and glad you enjoyed reading.

When you get a sec, would you mind please copy-and-pasting your above comments on Amazon as a review of the book. Would very much appreciate it.

Cheers, Tony Mac

Although I'm old-fashioned and prefer books to e-books, I'd glad this is now available again, after the print version sold out, and recommend it to anyone who didn't get the hard copy. Tony Mac gets the tone perfect, without either sympathising with or condemning Kenny Carter. It unfolds as a horror story, but it's a book that is impossible to put down once you've starting reading.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Some reviews posted very recently on Amazon...

Amazon Customer: I am a prolific reader. A bookworm. Since late teens through to present day my preferred genre has always been thrillers and murder mystery with a bit of true crime thrown in for good measure. I have recently discovered goodreads and as a consequence have widened my choices of genre quite considerably. I also happen to be an enormous fan of speedway and when I came across this book on a Facebook group I decided to read it. It is the first sports related book I have ever read and so despite my interest in speedway I was a little apprehensive about starting it. I am immensely chuffed to say that I am so glad I started it.

I could not put it down. Despite the horrendously tragic subject matter I enjoyed it thoroughly. A desperately sad story which draws sympathy for a man who is ultimately a murderer.

The story is told chronologically starting when Kenny was just a young boy and it helps to build a picture of his life and to possibly guide the reader to understand what led him to commit the ultimate crime.

For any speedway fan this book goes behind the scenes with some of history's most celebrated riders at some of the biggest events of world speedway and it is a fascinating insight into the life of a rider, one which I am sure after reading it has many similarities with some of the riders of today. Reading it led me to research the 'golden days' of the 70s and 80s and watch various clips on YouTube of World Finals and sold out Wembley arenas and it has certainly given me a deeper appreciation of the sport and how far we have come today.

As for the book itself, I am not an easy reader to please but this one ticked all the boxes. It is well written, has a great structure and pace and was very enjoyable to read. I highly recommend it to anyone; speedway fan or not, and guarantee you will find it an enjoyable read. Tragic, moving, exciting and sometimes hilarious it is one not to miss.

Andy Johnson: I've wanted to read this for some time after stumbling across some online reviews of it but, with no copies apparently available other than ridiculously priced 2nd hand ones on here, it was beginning to look unlikely I ever would until the Kindle version was thankfully released. After starting, I couldn't put it down and would heartily recommend it to any speedway fan. Hoping very much to see more of these books released on Kindle.

Edited by tmc

Some reviews posted very recently on Amazon...

Amazon Customer: I am a prolific reader. A bookworm. Since late teens through to present day my preferred genre has always been thrillers and murder mystery with a bit of true crime thrown in for good measure. I have recently discovered goodreads and as a consequence have widened my choices of genre quite considerably. I also happen to be an enormous fan of speedway and when I came across this book on a Facebook group I decided to read it. It is the first sports related book I have ever read and so despite my interest in speedway I was a little apprehensive about starting it. I am immensely chuffed to say that I am so glad I started it.

I could not put it down. Despite the horrendously tragic subject matter I enjoyed it thoroughly. A desperately sad story which draws sympathy for a man who is ultimately a murderer.

The story is told chronologically starting when Kenny was just a young boy and it helps to build a picture of his life and to possibly guide the reader to understand what led him to commit the ultimate crime.

For any speedway fan this book goes behind the scenes with some of history's most celebrated riders at some of the biggest events of world speedway and it is a fascinating insight into the life of a rider, one which I am sure after reading it has many similarities with some of the riders of today. Reading it led me to research the 'golden days' of the 70s and 80s and watch various clips on YouTube of World Finals and sold out Wembley arenas and it has certainly given me a deeper appreciation of the sport and how far we have come today.

As for the book itself, I am not an easy reader to please but this one ticked all the boxes. It is well written, has a great structure and pace and was very enjoyable to read. I highly recommend it to anyone; speedway fan or not, and guarantee you will find it an enjoyable read. Tragic, moving, exciting and sometimes hilarious it is one not to miss.

Andy Johnson: I've wanted to read this for some time after stumbling across some online reviews of it but, with no copies apparently available other than ridiculously priced 2nd hand ones on here, it was beginning to look unlikely I ever would until the Kindle version was thankfully released. After starting, I couldn't put it down and would heartily recommend it to any speedway fan. Hoping very much to see more of these books released on Kindle.

I was the same wanted to read it,but the silly prices on amazon i just did not bother picked my copy up for 9 pound on ebay read it at work in three days a great read.I enjoyed it but would still put the Lee,Booey, Jansson books on a par easily but in the Kenny book it told me stuff i would of never known about. Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

Another satisfied customer has emailed us today, to say:

Hi Tony,

I have just finished your book on Kenny Carter on my Kindle and am writing to say how much I enjoyed it although it was very harrowing at times. I read it over a course of several days as it was thought provoking and had to be taken in.

Well done on your writing and it will stay with me for a long time. I have bored my husband to death with it as I needed to talk about it to someone. Wow what a story and despite all I love Kenny but not the way it ended, so tragic.

Is Alan's book on Kindle yet?

Thanks again
Regards Shirley.