British Speedway Forum

Richie Worrall (the Future Of Speedway)

I think that's very fair point.

I can recall Mick Bell saying that when he rode for Coventry's championship winning teams in the late 1970's speedway was just a good paying hobby, not something you could rely on for full time employment. Even in the hey day of the sport, only the top boys really made money at it.

True. I have a copy of Classic Speedway which has an interview with Norman Hunter who retired in the 1970' s and he says he retired because he opened up a motor-cycle shop and the intention was that his speedway should subsidise this the motor-cycle business but it ended up being the other way round.

However the world has changed a lot since the days of Mick Bell and Norman Hunter. In the past running a small business was alright as a side line but there are so many regulations, now and it so difficult to compete as say a private garage owner against the corporate bodies that it really needs full time attention.

Having said that, some riders don't have much idea of finances. I often have a wry smile when I see riders turning up in big vans with a mechanic doing then driving, then Richard Lawson arrives with everything crammed into his little VW Carry, with bikes he has basically prepared himself and then goes out and gets a bigger score.

It is difficult though. Richjie Worrall talks about £20, 000 investment in bikes before you even start on vans etc, and that is an expense that riders didn't have in the past. Terry Betts for example used to have one bike and all he basically did , according to him, was change the valve springs when needed, The one engine would last a season then he would buy another one the following year..

• Like 1

DIDENT lakeside turn the back on him with a second CONTRACT hope the true tail comes out would be good reading. Riders can't change CONTRACTS they would get a 28day BAN. Worrall is a good rider and I hope he keeps at it the more you do it the better you get a bit like you V O R on these key pads.BRITISH speedway riders are hard to find so when we get them willing to have a go we should help them not inder them. Ps I see lakeside use the buy back metherd now it works better than messy CONTRACTS

Groan ..... Give it arrest mate. There are two sides to the story and what you or anyone else believes depends on which side of the fence they are on. Nothing will change that. Richie has already taken a booking at Lakeside in a challenge match, so the divisions are obviously healing. I spoke to him when he was at Lakeside and he is OK. Whatever is past is past. Constantly digging it up wont do any good.

True. I have a copy of Classic Speedway which has an interview with Norman Hunter who retired in the 1970' s and he says he retired because he opened up a motor-cycle shop and the intention was that his speedway should subsidise this the motor-cycle business but it ended up being the other way round.

However the world has changed a lot since the days of Mick Bell and Norman Hunter. In the past running a small business was alright as a side line but there are so many regulations, now and it so difficult to compete as say a private garage owner against the corporate bodies that it really needs full time attention.

Having said that, some riders don't have much idea of finances. I often have a wry smile when I see riders turning up in big vans with a mechanic doing then driving, then Richard Lawson arrives with everything crammed into his little VW Carry, with bikes he has basically prepared himself and then goes out and gets a bigger score.

It is difficult though. Richjie Worrall talks about £20, 000 investment in bikes before you even start on vans etc, and that is an expense that riders didn't have in the past. Terry Betts for example used to have one bike and all he basically did , according to him, was change the valve springs when needed, The one engine would last a season then he would buy another one the following year..

in the day gone by may be you DIDENT need a fast engine but in today's races you need one that's why top tuners get big money it's a bit like a ferrari v ford cortina who will win? Unless its a very wet track and the Ferrari spins it nuts off and goes nowhere have you ever noticed that when tracks are very wet the top lads get beat . If a rider as the ability to sick the bike in the dirt he will go round faster than someone spinning he's nuts off on the slick in side but you need confidence to do that and you won't have confidence not ridding much don't for get these 500cc bikes with no brakes take some ridding the Aussie boys have the best of both worlds they ride here and are good they go home loads of money in there pockets have a chill out do the Aussie championships when that finishes come back britain ready to race where our British lads have not even started there engins infact some British teams pick there Aussie riders from there Aussie results the more I think about it the more it makes sence.will British speedway be any good with not many british riders?

in the day gone by may be you DIDENT need a fast engine but in today's races you need one that's why top tuners get big money it's a bit like a ferrari v ford cortina who will win? Unless its a very wet track and the Ferrari spins it nuts off and goes nowhere have you ever noticed that when tracks are very wet the top lads get beat . If a rider as the ability to sick the bike in the dirt he will go round faster than someone spinning he's nuts off on the slick in side but you need confidence to do that and you won't have confidence not ridding much don't for get these 500cc bikes with no brakes take some ridding the Aussie boys have the best of both worlds they ride here and are good they go home loads of money in there pockets have a chill out do the Aussie championships when that finishes come back britain ready to race where our British lads have not even started there engins infact some British teams pick there Aussie riders from there Aussie results the more I think about it the more it makes sence.will British speedway be any good with not many british riders?

You have totally missed the point of what I said. The point was that in days gone by the investment in machinery was a lot less than it is now. One bike pretty much lasting a season, now two bikes needing to be serviced every few meetings, therefore todays costs are bound to be far higher I think everybody understands that.

I don't understand the rest of your post. DIDENT...ridding....engins....sence....sick the bike in the dirt. Even Sidney would struggle with that.

Speedway is a simple sport made complicated.

A sport is in trouble when it constantly changes the rules. Speedway is way too complicated.

The expense of machinery and servicing is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Is Speedway a team sport or an individual sport? I believe it doesn't know. It wants to be a team sport, but is run more for the individual.

For me...The league should have Club Engines. Sealed standard engines. Each rider should have his own rolling chassis and should draw lots each meeting for the engine he receives. Fix in and race....simples.

When it comes to individual meetings...let each rider do what they want, within set regulations. If he wants to spend a fortune on engines...let him.

There would be no less entertainment watching 4 riders on standard sealed engines racing....in fact it would improve it imho.

But it would never happen...because the riders wouldn't want it.

I get the impression, they feel they are the lesser cousin to other forms of motorcycle racing, and feel the need to 'big themselves up' someway.

What's depressing, is that this discussion has been going on for as long as I've followed the sport....such a shame.

• Like 7

Speedway is a simple sport made complicated.

A sport is in trouble when it constantly changes the rules. Speedway is way too complicated.

The expense of machinery and servicing is ridiculous and unnecessary.

Is Speedway a team sport or an individual sport? I believe it doesn't know. It wants to be a team sport, but is run more for the individual.

For me...The league should have Club Engines. Sealed standard engines. Each rider should have his own rolling chassis and should draw lots each meeting for the engine he receives. Fix in and race....simples.

When it comes to individual meetings...let each rider do what they want, within set regulations. If he wants to spend a fortune on engines...let him.

There would be no less entertainment watching 4 riders on standard sealed engines racing....in fact it would improve it imho.

But it would never happen...because the riders wouldn't want it.

I get the impression, they feel they are the lesser cousin to other forms of motorcycle racing, and feel the need to 'big themselves up' someway.

What's depressing, is that this discussion has been going on for as long as I've followed the sport....such a shame.

I agree Gresh, the rules are a big bug bearer for me they should be simple TRANPARENT.Every club wants to win but the PRODUCT has to be the priority it is an entertainment after all.
  • Like 1

You have totally missed the point of what I said. The point was that in days gone by the investment in machinery was a lot less than it is now. One bike pretty much lasting a season, now two bikes needing to be serviced every few meetings, therefore todays costs are bound to be far higher I think everybody understands that.

I don't understand the rest of your post. DIDENT...ridding....engins....sence....sick the bike in the dirt. Even Sidney would struggle with that.

sorry I have one of them gone by lap tops and it Does what it wants

What always makes me smile is riders ,and Richie worral is a good example of this . who complain about the pay for speedway , who can be found on their days off at motocross tracks actually paying to ride their 2015 £5000 MX bikes . we need to go back to the time when people rode speedway because they wanted to not for the money

• Like 5

What always makes me smile is riders ,and Richie worral is a good example of this . who complain about the pay for speedway , who can be found on their days off at motocross tracks actually paying to ride their 2015 £5000 MX bikes . we need to go back to the time when people rode speedway because they wanted to not for the money

or jetski :)

Ho no not you again I remember you saying Ste worrall was no good how did he turn it round was it with riding or having baby's ?

i said he was no good?? Think you will find i said hed be the biggest improver 2 seasons ago...

I may have said he might not keep his average this season but im not sure??

Praised both Worralls time and again and ....again and im a fan of theirs so can't recall saying either were no good ever sorry.....

You sure it was me??

If you can buy a 2015 motocross bike for £5000 it will most probably be a stolen one. Why is a gm engine £5500 is it because speedway riders want to much money?

i said he was no good?? Think you will find i said hed be the biggest improver 2 seasons ago...

I may have said he might not keep his average this season but im not sure??

Praised both Worralls time and again and ....again and im a fan of theirs so can't recall saying either were no good ever sorry.....

You sure it was me??

Yes it was you.get rid of him was your words you can always go back on your posts

The draft system is a mess quite honestly.

How on earth are the likes of Wilkinson, boxall, roynon etc in it?

Wilkos one of my favorite riders to watch, unique style and never knows when hes beaten but he made his PL debut in about 2001! Not his fault just the idiots in charge of this system.

May as well make any PL british rider available tp ride in it, may as well give the likes of Lanham a draft place!

James wright is another disgraceful selection, spent a good time as a pl number 1 includiny a PLRC title. Who on earth makes these rules up?

The sports a complete mess in this country from top to bottom .

• Like 3

As I say, almost all NL riders self fund and so have to have outside occupations even during the season.

I think your point about Richard Lawson hits the nub of the issue. Riders all want to have the pit crew and equipment of Nicki Pedersen and spend large amounts of money to get it in the full knowledge that their pay won't cover the expense. They then complain about being unable to make ends meet.

I remember Dean Felton a few years ago saying that he made money out of NL speedway and had beaten all the top riders in that league that season. He, too, did his own engines.

If Lawson is able to ride at a good heat leader standard in the PL and double up in the EL by doing his own engines, driving himself about and cutting expenses there's a lesson there for the Richie Worrall's of the speedway world.

• Like 3