British Speedway Forum

Can only echo what everyone has said , I pray young Lewis makes a full and complete recovery . Wasn't nice sitting in the stand and watching first aiders hug each other . Why did the gate fly open so easily though ?

The Bikes in this Country are too powerful and fast for the Tracks that they are expected to race on.

Poland has big Tracks - maybe that is the difference. Perhaps the smaller Tracks over here are not suited to modern day Bikes.

I don't know - but in response to your Post it is possibly worth a thought.

I always thought that the bikes are tuned for the size of track. Could it be the riders themselves although wary of the power available still use it anyway. In racing the promoters{and fans} want winners and faced with the guy possessing the funds for the best, they surely try anything to stay competitive against him. Only legislation could 'power down' the bikes. Would promoters though want to effectively want to turn this country into a ' second rate' venue that the top riders would shun? Already many top stars refuse to ride because the number of fixtures {Swedish style squad system needed}, so if we became a 'junior' league using smaller bikes then you can forget attracting any of our own top stars let alone any of them. I agree that the bikes seem over powered on many tracks, but imo. because of the above little will change.

If that was an intimation that a sports photographer would find glee in perchance taking a picture of such an occurrence, think again. We are not paparazzi . The chances are that all the photographers working that day were club photographers most, if not all of which would know Lewis Kerr by name and face if not personally. The thought that you are implying is abhorrent. If this was not your intention, then your wording was ill conceived at best.

Steve IS one of the Club's photographers - perhaps you should consider deleting your post!

If that was an intimation that a sports photographer would find glee in perchance taking a picture of such an occurrence, think again. We are not paparazzi . The chances are that all the photographers working that day were club photographers most, if not all of which would know Lewis Kerr by name and face if not personally. The thought that you are implying is abhorrent. If this was not your intention, then your wording was ill conceived at best.

stevehone is a track photographer at both Peterborough (I think still) & King's Lynn.

You've taken his comments way out of context.

He was clearly stating that it was photographers as well as our instead of medical staff that were taking comfort.

• Like 2

The Bikes in this Country are too powerful and fast for the Tracks that they are expected to race on.

Poland has big Tracks - maybe that is the difference. Perhaps the smaller Tracks over here are not suited to modern day Bikes.

I don't know - but in response to your Post it is possibly worth a thought.

Perhaps we shouldn't blame bike power all the time. Sometimes the mentality to win is very high but coupled with a lower than ideal skill set can cause a crash.

All motor sport will have crashes. Making bikes go faster is part of the sport.

• Like 1

that was probably photographers :cry:

Sorry Steve , not knowing you personally I just saw a woman in a high viz jacket hugging a guy in a high viz jacket . From the stand I thought it was first aiders and I feared the worst . Was horrible for everyone there and understandable people at the scene were upset .

We can only hope Lewis comes through this , speedway is a cruel sport at times

• Like 2

Perhaps we shouldn't blame bike power all the time. Sometimes the mentality to win is very high but coupled with a lower than ideal skill set can cause a crash.

A huge factor for me in this country is the inept track conditions over a bikes speed all day long

• Like 3

that was probably photographers :cry:

Please accept my apologies stevehone. I have deleted {hopefully} the post concerned. If you did not see it I very mistakenly suggested that you intimated that certain photographers present were revelling in taking a cashcow style crash picture. I misread your post completely and now realise you are one of the breed I had hoped to defend.

• Like 3

Sorry Steve , not knowing you personally I just saw a woman in a high viz jacket hugging a guy in a high viz jacket . From the stand I thought it was first aiders and I feared the worst . Was horrible for everyone there and understandable people at the scene were upset .

We can only hope Lewis comes through this , speedway is a cruel sport at times

my partner was taking photos as was I, and we were both in tears.

I'm not going to say any more details as I'm sure things will come out over time.

I got a sequence of pictures of the crash, but as soon as the riders were down I DON'T take pictures if they stay down, although there was one photographer for a newspaper that was determined to get 'that' shot of Lewi on the ground .. I think he was lucky to be able to walk away

• Like 3

there will always be a want for more speed/power, like you say,,,

and there will be 101 reasons why crashes occur, some will be mechanical, but most will be down to human error unfortunately :(

• Like 1

my partner was taking photos as was I, and we were both in tears.

I'm not going to say any more details as I'm sure things will come out over time.

I got a sequence of pictures of the crash, but as soon as the riders were down I DON'T take pictures if they stay down, although there was one photographer for a newspaper that was determined to get 'that' shot of Lewi on the ground .. I think he was lucky to be able to walk away

I hope that photographer had complaints raised against him to his employers and speedway do the decent thing and suspend him from all uk tracks.

• Like 3

there will always be a want for more speed/power, like you say,,,

and there will be 101 reasons why crashes occur, some will be mechanical, but most will be down to human error unfortunately :(

To me the mentality and respect for fellow riders has changed through the years. Where once you would never witness a move, if it meant contact was made, now it's an everyday occurrence....

Following the Stars like I have, I can remember times when there were no injuries to riders for season after season. The team was always the same every week, and that when we rode 40 matches a year. Now the accidents and injuries come so frequent, the team changes every meeting.........

There's something wrong somewhere....

• Like 5

Don't forget that Lee Richardson came to grief in Poland. I agree there is a case to be made for limiting power, and all that goes with it, clutch adjustments, gardening etc. But I do feel that perhaps riders feel invincible with an air fence around them. On this thread there is a Stars fan who has watched speedway for 40 years and not seen as many injuries. Could the 2 be connected? Great news that Lewis appears to be on the mend. No true speedway fan wants to see crashes of any description. We don't go there to see crashes.

Edited by bill94d