British Speedway Forum

They are absolutely amazing :approve: I have seen them at work in different counties twice now, not for anything as horrible as the incident yesterday thankfully and they all survive on charitable donations .... Time to dig deep :t:

Here is their page...

http://www.magpas.org.uk/

They have added a bit of news on their blog

http://www.magpas.org.uk/latest-news/incidents/entry/peterborough-speedway-rider-injured-magpas-helimedix-fly-to-him

Here is their donations page

http://www.magpas.org.uk/support-us/donate-now

Edited by Noodles
  • Like 2

All the Air ambulance trusts around the UK do an amazing job on donations and they do make such a difference to final outcome like yesterday the onboard DR anathetised Lewis put him on a mobile ventilator to help with his breathing and got him to a major head trauma unit in under an hour of the incident that time saved is crucial.

Also by the sounds of it a big well done to the Peterborough paramedic and medical team for realising the seriousness of the incident getting the best team to him and treating him until they arrived.

Hopefully we get some more positive news on Tuesday and personally I think as well as fans making donations to MAGPAS that the BSPA should make a sizeable donation from the profits of Sundays meeting

• Like 6

Highly unlikely that any local-TV would show the impact with the airfence even if it was available.

However, what turns out to be the case here is that ReRun's camera has captured Josh challenging Lewis but once there's been contact, that camera's stayed on Josh falling onto the track plus Craig Cook's commendably swift laydown that's at the perfect angle for that camera shot behind Josh's tumble ... meanwhile, all you see of Lewis and his machinery after the contact is the pair of them rapidly veering off the left-edge of the screen well before the horrible impact.

Hence, I can understand the footage being shown to illustrate how the situation developed while still maintaining the dignity of not showing the most horrific aspect.

Had the camera stayed on Lewis rather than Josh, I'd hope any TV-newsroom would halt the footage once it's clear where Lewis is heading after the contact but still well before the impact.

As I said earlier let's hope for a speedy recovery for Lewis. But when in a few months Lewis is on the road to recovery and the current anguish is over, just how many speedway fans will be buying ReRuns "Crashes & Cock Ups" DVD's in the hope of seeing this crash again? Apparently this line of DVD's is one of the company's biggest sellers. So look around. Once everyone's finished out-compassionating each other who's going to return to being the crash connoisseurs that they were before?

As I said earlier let's hope for a speedy recovery for Lewis. But when in a few months Lewis is on the road to recovery and the current anguish is over, just how many speedway fans will be buying ReRuns "Crashes & Cock Ups" DVD's in the hope of seeing this crash again? Apparently this line of DVD's is one of the company's biggest sellers. So look around. Once everyone's finished out-compassionating each other who's going to return to being the crash connoisseurs that they were before?

What a complete d!k you are sometimes

• Like 7

Absolutely - could not agree more.

I know our sport is called Speedway, but the pursuit of ultimate speed is not the be all and end all. First and foremost is rider safety, then entertainment value for us paying punters.

How about a return to the 1970s situation, when engine tuning was minimal by comparison to today, engines ( upright ! ) could do many meetings before needing overhaul, tracks had more dirt, rear tyres had more tread depth, handlebars were wider ? Race times would be maybe 5 seconds slower, but riders would have much more control, especially in 'awkward' moments. Back then, you rarely saw a bike suddenly leap away from its rider, with a mind of its own, like they do so often now.

Today, you are either in control, or not, there is no in between. Forty years ago, if a bike began to go out of control, the rider invariably had a brief period where he could try to regain that control. If he did not, he usually had managed to scrub off speed, so that the fall, and the impact, was much reduced, and he would be able to dust himself down and walk away much more often than now.

A further benefit would be a significant reduction in costs to riders. It may help more to take up the sport, and to stay in it despite a few setbacks. Imho the racing would be more entertaining as well, with the emphasis back on how good the rider's ability is, not how big his wallet is.

You may well say that all the above is wishful thinking, or indeed just rubbish ! Whatever your thoughts, it is time for the BSPA to say enough is enough, and do something to significantly reduce the terrible number of serious injuries riders are enduring.

My thoughts, as are everyone's , are with Lewis and his family. I don't pray usually, but have made an exception on this occasion. Please let there be a really positive outcome.

Top post mate...... Far too many accident nowadays. The sport is now totally governed by speed,

Riders fight to control these high revving machines, at the expense of all these riders injuries...

Something has to be done.......

• Like 3

just what we needed at this time. NOT. should have been the farthest thought from any ones head.. proper rick... and that's from me. everyone is hoping for further good news..( in reply to uk martins post, not the above)

Edited by jenga
  • Like 3

What a complete d!k you are sometimes

Ever asked yourself why those DVD's exist? And why people buy them? And why there's a new collection of the best of crashes every year?

I've never bought one myself, and have kept my questioning of the morality of such DVD's to myself but when you look at it in a few months time after this incident has calmed down, you'll still see people, maybe not you, and certainly not me, buying these DVD's. And who are the people buying these DVD's then? Obviously those who right now won't admit to it, and who will present themselves as "holier than thou" just to avoid being called a dick or a prick. But those people are here, and on the terraces, else that kind of DVD wouldn't be an economic proposition to sell.

• Like 1

Ever asked yourself why those DVD's exist? And why people buy them? And why there's a new collection of the best of crashes every year?

I've never bought one myself, and have kept my questioning of the morality of such DVD's to myself but when you look at it in a few months time after this incident has calmed down, you'll still see people, maybe not you, and certainly not me, buying these DVD's. And who are the people buying these DVD's then? Obviously those who right now won't admit to it, and who will present themselves as "holier than thou" just to avoid being called a dick or a prick. But those people are here, and on the terraces, else that kind of DVD wouldn't be an economic proposition to sell.

You've never been great with your timing of things have you? Wrong bloody time Martin...

• Like 3

You've never been great with your timing of things have you? Wrong bloody time Martin...

Well maybe the timing is wrong, and my apologies if this is the case...but when's the right time? When it's forgotten about? After the DVD's have been sold? After everyone's gone hunting on YouTube for a video clip of what happened?

If any good can come of this it will be the withdrawal of those Crashes and Cock Ups DVD's from sale. How else will awareness of these immoral DVD's be raised? If I never see one on sale again it will be too soon.

Well they would be disappointed as no such crashes are ever included so your ill timed attack is not only out of place, but totally incorrect.

The crashes/cockups on those videos all see riders getting up and walking away.

Fantastic to see some signs of Lewis improving.. particularly the results of the head scan.

Personally cannot see the difference between watching those videos, which as you say riders walk away from and posting/tweeting comments like "ha ha ha" when riders collide with Say Nicki P causing him to fall.

I would guess very few people can say hand on heart they have never watched a repeat of a crash or have never made similar comments.

It's in the timing really. When it's done once everyone knows the riders involved are OK I can't see a problem, when a rider is lying seriously injured in hospital it's in poor taste IMHO.

Edited by Star Lady

BAD TIMING ALL ROUND. FOR GODS SAKE HAVE SOME COMPASION AND DECENCEY FOR THE SAKE OF LEWI'S FAMILLY AND FREINDS WHO COULD QUITE EASILY BE AWARE OF YOU BICKERING ON A SOCIAL WEBSITE. CHANNEL YOUR MINDS IN TO WISHING THE LAD WELL AND A SPEEDY RECOVERY AND OFFER COMFORT TO HIS LOVED ONES THROUGH POSITIVE THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ! NOW, DRY UP!

• Like 7

I just want to add my sincere best wishes to Lewis and his family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thoughts are also with Josh and full praise to Cookie for his superb lay down

Huge praise to the track medic and staff and helimed. We will certainly join the collection on Sunday

Absolutely - could not agree more.

I know our sport is called Speedway, but the pursuit of ultimate speed is not the be all and end all. First and foremost is rider safety, then entertainment value for us paying punters.

How about a return to the 1970s situation, when engine tuning was minimal by comparison to today, engines ( upright ! ) could do many meetings before needing overhaul, tracks had more dirt, rear tyres had more tread depth, handlebars were wider ? Race times would be maybe 5 seconds slower, but riders would have much more control, especially in 'awkward' moments. Back then, you rarely saw a bike suddenly leap away from its rider, with a mind of its own, like they do so often now.

Today, you are either in control, or not, there is no in between. Forty years ago, if a bike began to go out of control, the rider invariably had a brief period where he could try to regain that control. If he did not, he usually had managed to scrub off speed, so that the fall, and the impact, was much reduced, and he would be able to dust himself down and walk away much more often than now.

A further benefit would be a significant reduction in costs to riders. It may help more to take up the sport, and to stay in it despite a few setbacks. Imho the racing would be more entertaining as well, with the emphasis back on how good the rider's ability is, not how big his wallet is.

You may well say that all the above is wishful thinking, or indeed just rubbish ! Whatever your thoughts, it is time for the BSPA to say enough is enough, and do something to significantly reduce the terrible number of serious injuries riders are enduring.

My thoughts, as are everyone's , are with Lewis and his family. I don't pray usually, but have made an exception on this occasion. Please let there be a really positive outcome.

I agree there have been plenty of bad crashes over the last 2 seasons but a far lower rate is seen in Sweden, Poland & Denmark. Prove me wrong if you wish as I haven't counted the injuries. If my assumption is correct it needs explanation before anyone can 100% say it's bike speed causing injury.

I agree there have been plenty of bad crashes over the last 2 seasons but a far lower rate is seen in Sweden, Poland & Denmark. Prove me wrong if you wish as I haven't counted the injuries. If my assumption is correct it needs explanation before anyone can 100% say it's bike speed causing injury.

The Bikes in this Country are too powerful and fast for the Tracks that they are expected to race on.

Poland has big Tracks - maybe that is the difference. Perhaps the smaller Tracks over here are not suited to modern day Bikes.

I don't know - but in response to your Post it is possibly worth a thought.