British Speedway Forum

Is It Time To Re-introduce Tape Touching?

The amount of re-starts these days due to starting infringements is getting ridiculous.is it time to let riders push the tapes again so as to stop the constant restarts

The amount of restarts is not too much a problem, its the time the riders are allowed to get back to the tapes which I have a problem with.

Get them straight back to the tapes, no stopping at pit gates and mechanics coming out to adjust chains and clutches etc, straight back to the tapes and on with the show.

• Like 3

The amount of re-starts these days due to starting infringements is getting ridiculous.is it time to let riders push the tapes again so as to stop the constant restarts

Or maybe it's time to get harsher. Move at all and you are disqualified. That might help riders sit still.
  • Like 5

YES tape touching is what's missing form speedway sadly I am on my own in this but I still love watching Mauger ,Olsen and CO starts of the 70's ,why not allow it in an open meeting and see how it pans out .I do think they need to tighten up on restarts for what ever reason I think Tai changed a wheel or gearing between starts at the British GP at the weekend .

• Like 2

By letting them touch the tapes they could be there all night.

Lets keep keep it simple.

If they want to move before they go up good luck to them but touch them and they are out

Can't remember feeling the starts were drawn out just found it better than gate and go we have now just IMO but Iwould let the riders pick their own gates as well but the sport is thriving on these rules we have now so why go back .

It's not tape touching that causes constant restarts. It's the pulling them back for movement.

You seem to get less tape exclusions now than you did when touching was allowed.

Edited by grachan

Or maybe it's time to get harsher. Move at all and you are disqualified. That might help riders sit still.

I wouldn't agree with that,,, what if a rider has hiccups, or sneezes, it would seem unfair,,,

I would allow them to move, sometimes it works and sometimes it dosen't,,,

they should be ready to race when the green light comes on, if the ref let's the tapes go almost straightaway, then so be it,,, if their not ready, well they should've been,,, the lights on :)

If their all allowed to move, then they are in the same boat ;)

Can't remember feeling the starts were drawn out just found it better than gate and go we have now just IMO but Iwould let the riders pick their own gates as well but the sport is thriving on these rules we have now so why go back .

yeah,,, if your first there, you have the choice, if your not fast your last,,, might hurry things along a bit, but hopefully there's no fighting like some folk do over car park spaces,,, hmmm,,, but then again,,,

I've said before on this forum that tape-touching should definitely be re-introduced.

People saying it delays starts clearly were not about in 70's and 80's! Meetings were completed in a fraction of the time that it takes these days; we'd always have second halves, golden helmet races, etc. and still be finished sooner than today's utterly boring, drawn out debacles.

And to counter the argument that it's unfair. What can be more unfair than a rider getting a genuine flyer from the gate, only for it to be pulled back - thus causing more delays whilst riders re-settle?

As long as the tapes aren't broken (which actually happened very rarely) where's the problem?

Oh, I know. It means promoters may have to look at paying out wages for second half rides. After all, 15 heats of speedway for around £18 is wondeful value. Just look at the ever-increasing queues of people at your local track.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 3

I think it could mix things up from the starts a bit, maybe introduce an F1 style random tape release between 1 and 5 seconds after the green light goes on. Or, and this is radical, do away with tapes all together, green light and go!

As a cov attendee I regularly have to put up with Garrity, Sarj and Robbo guessing the starts and being pulled back for restarts

As long as the tapes aren't broken (which actually happened very rarely) where's the problem?

Didn't happen rarely if you went to Swindon. Bob Kilby used to do it every other week. But we were 'appy.

I have just watched the Berwick v. Peterborough Meeting that I recorded last night. Suffice to say I was disgusted at the total number of re-starts. A point that doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, unless I have missed it, is the amount of cheating that goes on at the Start. Riders moving ever so slightly to put someone else through the Tapes is cheating. It has always gone on, or seems to have, but I can't remember seeing as many Riders 'at it' in one Meeting as there was last night.

I won't name anyone - but if a Rule was made that Riders must sit still at the Start and if they don't - then they are Excluded. I think that would be a good thing.

As for Riders getting flyers - if they don't touch the Tapes and they have sat still at the Start - then the Race should continue.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

I won't name anyone - but if a Rule was made that Riders must sit still at the Start and if they don't - then they are Excluded. I think that would be a good thing.

e.

That would be robbing the public who pay to see four riders in a race. I would say a warning the first time they do it, fine them £150'the second time then £300 the third time.