British Speedway Forum

Danish Gp In Horsens 08.08

I have to eat my words. I posted I did not think this would be a good meeting but I rather enjoyed it.

• Like 1

As a GP it started about as badly as a speedway meeting can starts but the 2nd half was pretty damn good. Heat 11 was brilliant and both semis were about as good as speedway gets. Kildemand added to the night from being to end - be it his super stylish wins or his crashing/falling off.

If you asked me to list my to 8 GP riders I'd take todays top 8, drop out Kildemand and add Harris so was quite happy with the semis. And I had money on Kildemand should was happy he won. But as a fan of fair play, how the hell was he not excluded in both incidents?!

Zagar more than a touch unlucky. Got wiped out in the Kildemand/Pedersen crash - his semi was stopped when he was clear 2nd - the final was stopped when he was away in front.

Depends how you look at Zagar being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the crash!!

Yes he was unlucky to be involved BUT WAS HE lucky in that heat as his steel shoe had already came loose just after the start,so where would he have finished if the race had continued?

• Like 1

Strange SGP , one that was interesting because of the riders scores fluctuated all evening. Some riders were unlucky, some were brilliant, some lost their head and some were damn right fortunate....

PK should change his name from KILLER to KID'YA, because to sure does kid the referee. I am fast losing respect for someone who goes down at every opportunity needing only the slightest touch, yet when chasing riders he is one of the hardest on the track. His execution of Pedersen and Zagar was a prime example, of his 'no holds barred' approach, when he deliberately took their space. The Referee, along with big mouth Tatum, were taking in by the fact he had half a wheel lead and can choice his line. But the accident was created by PK and he was the only person to who could have avoided it happening. Pedersen and Zagar were innocent of the whole manoeuvre. A strong referee would have rightly excluded him. He was a lucky man....

Then come the final, Zagar was away and gone, PK was struggling to hold on to second place, when Woffy comes up the inside. Woffy has the run for the inside pass, The touch was slight, but true to form PK makes a meal of it. Not once did he try to retain balance or contest his position, he takes the fall and get the race rerun. Again he was a lucky man....

No, Not the best GP, another one where the gates were too important, and luck played a bigger hand than most venues. Probably Zagar would have been a deserved winner, but some riders were luckier than others. Probably the luckiest rider was Woffy. Yes, he was unlucky to be excluded in the final, but to perform as poorly as he did and still extend his championship lead has to be very fortunate indeed. It could have been so different.......

I feel if Woffy was to lose his championship lead, it would have happened tonight. Now I believe he will go on and be the World Champion for the second time. :t:

• Like 8

Just watched the meeting kildemand is going to seriously going to hurt someone the guy runs into pedersen causing the crash I am no fan of pedersens but if it had been the other way round we d have had people on here going crackers

Soon as someone goes near him he lay s the bike down when he lines up at the tapes you wonder if he s going to do 4 laps

• Like 9

I really enjoyed watching the Horsens SGP last night. Very exciting meeting, highly unpredictable (except for gate 1 heat wins) and what an amosphere with a sell out crowd really enjoying the occasion.

Horsens seems a nice town, and the Stadium is not out of town, has a perfect capacity, size and shape for speedway.

The track has a perfect length and shape, short straights and sweeping bends, admittedly thoug a little bit narrow, and definitely not so very easy to ride, which made it all very interesting. This was the most exciting SGP so far this season.

I really enjoyed watching the Horsens SGP last night. Very exciting meeting, highly unpredictable (except for gate 1 heat wins) and what an amosphere with a sell out crowd really enjoying the occasion.

Horsens seems a nice town, and the Stadium is not out of town, has a perfect capacity, size and shape for speedway.

The track has a perfect length and shape, short straights and sweeping bends, admittedly thoug a little bit narrow, and definitely not so very easy to ride, which made it all very interesting. This was the most exciting SGP so far this season.

Personally the gate bias was absolutely unacceptable.As for the rest I feel that was as good as it is going to get.The weather was perfect and still the racing wasn't good.Ok it got better,but I was left with the feeling they got away with it last night but the track is too tight for passing and it is an accident waiting to happen

Just watched the meeting kildemand is going to seriously going to hurt someone the guy runs into pedersen causing the crash I am no fan of pedersens but if it had been the other way round we d have had people on here going crackers

Soon as someone goes near him he lay s the bike down when he lines up at the tapes you wonder if he s going to do 4 laps

You are right on all points.

A ref needs to take a stance by excluding him and NOT the rider who passes on the inside. That is the only way he will try to stay on the bike as Nicki did in his 2nd heat and AJ when hit by MM.

• Like 2

it's all very well having fancy Stadiums,but let's face most of the tracks in these Stadiums are crap and don't let the riders show their skills to the full extent,there was no way you could race down the straight fairly last night,there was not enough room.Fans a paying a lot of money for a seat In a fancy stadium.

I have really enjoyed the trip to Horsens and the weather has been great which makes a nice change based on previous trips to Denmark.

Still a long way to go but Tai is looking good for his second win.

As for the unusual (although not unheard of) backstraight bunching decision - I am no fan of Jim Lawrence but I somehow doubt he made the decision without considerable input and guidance from others!

One has admire the maturity of Tai.

His reaction to the Final exclusion and his composed TV interview afterwards.

Once the ref has made a decision like that, no matter how poor it may be, there is no currency in mouthing off.

The ref won't change and all you'll do is 'wallow in negativity'.

Best answer is to pocket the points and move on to another World Championship win.

Quite a classy guy.

• Like 7

Why oh why do we have to exclude a rider when a race gets stopped? First bench bunching so far as I know is only an accepted disregarding of the rule. If a genuine racing incident happens why does someone have to be wholly to blame by getting excluded/ Are there never any 50/50's? If there are then half the time statistically the wrong rider gets excluded. Jim Lawrence did the right thing but by what rule?

NOT true ... can say that with absolute certainty.

So he f***** it up all by himself. He is a clown and has no place as a ref in GP speedway.

Edited by Blazeaway
  • Like 2

My thoughts:

• Started rubbish, but later there were some truly brilliant races. overall, very enjoyable, and helped by Tai extending his lead and having some money on Killer to win.
  • Kildemand got very lucky not to be excluded on two occasions. TBH I though Tai was going to be excluded as soon as Killer went down, but was amazed that Killer escaped exclusion when he cleaned out Nicki and Zagar. He's entertaining though, but far more dangerous a rider than Nicki imo.
  • That of course made it inevitable that he would win the re-run of the final, the only thing going to stop him was that Zagar was the only finalist that I didn't have money on
  • How many moves did we see that were very similar to Nicki Ps on Hancock from a month back without riders (apoarty from Killer) going down, and with noone feeling the need to launch themselves post race at the other rider?
  • The gate bias was quite strange in that in only one of the first five heats did red win, and the only one of the last three red won was in a a fortuitous re-run. But in between they won almost every heat? Is it that riders are so evenly matched that a slight advantage is enough to give them the edge, or are inside gates this year really so favourable.
  • The ref will never stop the race for unfair riding unless a rider goes doen. How many times did we see riders colliding in the run to the first corner (ala Gollowb/Pedersen in EC the other week, but as no rider went down the ref lets the race go.
  • Tai is showing the real mental toughness of a world champ. I don't agree with GRW who stated he got lucky, The mark of a champ is to win those pressure races to make the semis, Tai did that, and while his lead is only around a dozen points surely only injury now will stop him
  • The race for 3rd and top 8 hearing up, ith only 11 points seperating 3rd from 9th. Personally think the top8 will remain the same, would pick Puk for 3rd, could be an interetsing toss-up again as to whether MJJ or Killer will get a wildcard for next year
  • I think Doyle has blown more points than any other rider this year, often costing himself places in the semi or final with rash moves or other mistakes. He's only 5 points off a rostrum spot, but I think he could have easily been level with Nicki on points with a little more composure at certain times. Not intended as a criticism, has been an excellent debut season.
  • Don't understand people continually making digs at Harris, he's competitive and riders to his level, averaging around 5 a GP is about right I'd say (indicates against top class riders he will be beaten by two, but beat one).
  • Like 5