British Speedway Forum

The Most Secret Speedway Meeting Ever

Might not be so spongy next year its a long shot I know but it would make sense.

Has nothing to do with whether the track is spongy today.BSI hire the stadium.They aren't going to run some meeting like the British final a few days before the GP as they have nothing to do with the British final and the British final is a qualifier for the GP.I don't think it is allowed for GP riders to ride on the track a week or so beforehand,so then the British final has to be held elsewhere and earlier than a few days before.It will never happen

I imagine this sort of "meeting" is takin place so that if the track is bad they can just call a halt,send the riders home and don't have to worry about refunds for fans,don't have to pay for staff to look after fans and open up part of the stadium etc

Edited by iris123

Things do change iris, it would benefit bsi and bspa to work together on this. There would be no better practise on the track than a hard fought british final. The final doesn't have to be a few days before either a week to ten days would be better then it would possibly fall in with the regulations you mention. It all depends on the stadium availability there is hope that the two organisations can work together for once and make sure both showcase meetings are on and in best available facilities. Just noticed your edit thats a fair point and you could be right.

Edited by baba

Might not be so spongy next year its a long shot I know but it would make sense.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Bonkers idea and totally unfeasible.

• Like 1

This is a first at Cardiff and something that should have been done all the previous years. Lay the track well before hand, then before the gp. get a bunch of young Brits to spend the day tearing around the track to hopefully sort out any rough patches and also bed it down a bit. Shame that don't do it on 2 or 3 days and give 40 or so young riders to go round there for the day. Maybe then we would see a temory track that actually races well.

Fair play to them, I don't give a monkeys who riding there, but it is a great honour for them to even get the chance to ride there, just perhaps one day, it will be one of them that gets to ride in the GP's, if they just keep pointing them in the right direction.

• Like 1

why is it bonkers? Why is it unfeasible?

Because the whole idea of Cardiff is that it's a one off. Have another meeting the week before and people will pick one or the other. I'd imagine to make it worth while opening the stadium (insurance, and standard costs) you have to get x amount of people in there, would two meetings do that?

Because the whole idea of Cardiff is that it's a one off. Have another meeting the week before and people will pick one or the other. I'd imagine to make it worth while opening the stadium (insurance, and standard costs) you have to get x amount of people in there, would two meetings do that?

Correct and 95%, if not more, will be picking the GP.

• Like 2

SCB you have made the right choice there. The only way you would be able to run the British final there would for it to be run either a couple of months before or at the end of the season. I would think the cost of running the British Final there would be far more costly than what they would take on the day, Would they have the same crowd levels for a British final as the GP, don't think so somehow, there are people who go to the GP who nevr go to any other speedway event and it would be just drawing people from the fans that support the clubs. So I think a British final there would be run at a huge loss.

My criticism wasn't aimed at you per se, there's others on the thread whose anti-BSI bias is shining through again.

That'll be me then - and I haven't Posted anything yet.

Glad I'm not alone though.............................................................

In all honesty the british final is small fry.Why not hold a Poole v Coventry meeting there?That would draw lodas more than a British final.Or even the world club mickey muse thing?Or talking of mickey mouse why not sort of American football at Wembley style hold a Gorzow v Zielona Gora meeting there......

the British Final may well be small fry in comparison to the GP but i'll bet they could get 5/8,000 at such a prestige venue. Or how about this:

British final Weds

Prem League riders champ Thursday

Open day, meet the riders, exhibitions, markets Friday, Gp Saturday

Presumably we have to pay rent for the place as soon as the track builders move in - might as well try and maximise income

Expect Cardiff to go without a hitch with an unprecedented 3 weeks to allow plenty of attempts to get a track fit for riding,with an added test meeting thrown in.Expect pats on the back all round,until we get to Horsens,a much stiffer test,a 1st time temporary track with no roof or Melbourne where its likely the track curators will get the usual one shot and not 3 weeks grace as Cardiff.

If you seriously need that explaining to you...

go on lets hear it why? Explain away b.t.w im not interested in stuff you think why it couldnt work. I'd like to read factual reasoning why it couldn't work. Why would costs be high? Why wouldn't people go to both? The whole staduim doesnt need to open only lower tier near start/finish line. At the end of the day pal you dont really know what would happen do you.

the British Final may well be small fry in comparison to the GP but i'll bet they could get 5/8,000 at such a prestige venue. Or how about this:

British final Weds

Prem League riders champ Thursday

Open day, meet the riders, exhibitions, markets Friday, Gp Saturday

Presumably we have to pay rent for the place as soon as the track builders move in - might as well try and maximise income

A British Final with 5/8000 at the new stadium in Manchester, or even Coventry. Excellent, good atmosphere.

5/8000 at Cardiff.. Awful!

go on lets hear it why? Explain away b.t.w im not interested in stuff you think why it couldnt work. I'd like to read factual reasoning why it couldn't work. Why would costs be high? Why wouldn't people go to both? The whole staduim doesnt need to open only lower tier near start/finish line. At the end of the day pal you dont really know what would happen do you.

You're the one trying to prove something and are very much in the minority, so how about you explain.

We're not interested in why you think it would work, we want factual reasoning as to why the costs would be low, why people would go to both. How you would get over the fact that no GP riders can ride a meeting at the track in the week prior..

Off you go, the floor is yours.

• Like 2