British Speedway Forum

Newcastle Diamonds V Scunthorpe Scorpions Pl 28th June, 6.30

I know a few riders socially and they view Brough Park as one to get out of the way (meaning they don't like going there), by having such a track I feel the Newcastle fans miss out on a lot of good racing that a good race track provides with riders turning up with that attitude.

Just glad I dont have to watch there regular.

Cue the throttle control gang :P

Newcastle feel exactly the same about Sheffield. It's a horrible track unless you can afford a bike especially tuned for it. Anytime we score above 30 there we have a parade around Byker.

I guess the three teams that arrived at Newcastle without the 'it sucks' attitude will be the ones who went home with an away win under their belts?

for me its premier league or nothing ,it is worth saving

Absolutely; look this is one result like I said Tommys zero score is not characteristic we all know these things happen. Look at the Sky meet Peterborough v Glasgee Nick Morris had a bad night for him. It happens; I am sure we're far from throwing in the towel. Once we have Josh and Ryan its a different game. What did Theo, Alex and Wilko do wrong really yesterday ? Not a lot for me as they got acceptable returns. But you cannot hold Diamonds at Rough with three men scoring. And no disrespect to Nike and Ben who have both got what it takes for me. But minus two top men and TGun on an off night thats hard work. I referred to it being a 1972 score: but thats not meaning we are back to Quibell daze; jezz no we got some blooming good racers in this team. But what we aint got right now is luck!.

Its concerning to think that our very existence is on a knife edge. But respect fully management have to make proper business decisions. Your right we dont need folk coming on here talking Scunny down. I never do that; I enjoy my Friday nights and would miss it for sure. Scunny has and continues to serve up some top notch action. For me its not all about winning; I want to see great Speedway and the team; management and track have been delivering in that regard. I am just as much interested in seeing the team fight their way up the league to the end of the season as I would be watching us win. We dont want the wooden spoon. Thats why I have already put Newcastle behind and onto Redcar Thursday.

Keep backing the team; up the Scorps and absolutely we are worth saving chin up.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 5

First off lets hope that Rob Godfrey continues to run Scunthorpe, I do have a lot of time for the man and he deserves some success for the work and efforts that puts into his speedway team.

Tsunami, Oily Rag is from Sheffield and has been a Sheffield fan for years, but does have strong connections to Ben Wilson so I suspect he is following Scunthorpe at the moment.

On the subject of charging track staff and other volunteers although a decent cost cutting exercise, but some might say how far do you go. Do factor in mechanics/ pit crew and riders families.

Maybe Newcastle are having problems due to past presentation problems cause by the fact that Brough Park is a technical/ trick track.

This season there does seem to have been a marked improvement, but last season many meetings were having races with multiple re runs and track gradings which is going to extend the duration of meetings, and decreases the family friendly factor of the sport.

But whatever lets hope that both tracks if they are having problems get them sorted out.

So Newcastle's team of "Second Strings" plus two reserves rode like league champions against the Scorpions. The Diamonds are looking good at home when Glasgow come to Brough. The team will be re-shuffled by then as the July greensheet averages come in. If I was in charge I would list our team as follows:

1. Steve Worrall (definitely Newcastle's number 1 of 2015)

2. Christian Henry ( a good second string but not in heat 14, sorry Chris)

3. Ludvig Lindgren (he has ridden at number 1 and number 5, putting him at 3 would make life a bit easier for him. I think he deserves being number 3)

4. Anton Rosen ( Putting the "Turnip Twins" together makes sense and Anton may just shade Christian in heat 14)

5. Lewis Kerr ( pairing Lewis with the reserves will allow him to go for heat wins and link him with Steve in heat 13, Ludde couldn't gate in heat 13 and with Steve at Number 1 Lewi may just do better than Ludde does at number 5)

6. Simon Nielsen (going better than some of us forecast. Yes me included :oops: Keep it up Simon)

7. Lewis Rose ( I enjoy watching Lewis ride. He has a good outside line and can be good inside too, maybe he just needs a faster motor)

I think Steve is better now than Richie was a couple of seasons ago when he rode for us so maybe Steve will decide he made the right choice in coming back to us. Learning at Brough Park in early careers helped World Champs Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Anders Michanek and Nicki Pedersen to world titles, so go on the Worrall twins..

I remain a big fan of Ludvig Lindgren. His bucking broncho rides and outside overtakes are what I pay to see. But Ludde you need to learn how to gate. It must be very much harder than it looks this side of the fence, If you could get in front on the first bend you can do the rest and would be very hard to beat

My obversation of riding Brough Park. Ivan Mauger came off the bends at full throttle and down the straights then just after the starting gate he threw his bike sideways at full throttle and drifted the corners. So many riders shut off before entering the corners perhaps they need to learn to enter the corners sideways/faster. Ok i know Ivan was amazing but things have not changed that much. I think learning to enter the bends faster is the key to winning at Brough

Edited by dantodan

Agreed , the Premier League would be all the poorer without one of the best tracks in the country

People are forgetting how Scunthorpe has risen from its god awful Quibell park and Ashby VIlle days,we are having a proper rubbishe season so far..I for one and I know there are more will still turn up but premier league is the only place to be. I'd also love to see Wayne Carter manage us

• Like 1

'Dantodan',,, can't quote all your post on a tablet, well a can, but it's a nightmare :-(

Super Stevie Worrall deserves the #1, consistently scores well at home and away (the odd blip),,,

putting Lewis Kerr at #5 looks a good idea for ht 13, if he gates,,, but I think because of his gating, in the rest of his races it might leave our reserves vulnerable :-(,,, cos let's face it, if Stevie, or Lewis gate their normally 'away',,,

whereas, maybe because of his 'gating' Ludvig at #5 does appear to offer them some cover, some might call it 'team-riding', but that doesn't happen apparently ;-)

• Like 1

First off lets hope that Rob Godfrey continues to run Scunthorpe, I do have a lot of time for the man and he deserves some success for the work and efforts that puts into his speedway team.

Tsunami, Oily Rag is from Sheffield and has been a Sheffield fan for years, but does have strong connections to Ben Wilson so I suspect he is following Scunthorpe at the moment.

I am aware that Oily Rag is from Sheffield , a team he regularly moans about.

On the subject of charging track staff and other volunteers although a decent cost cutting exercise, but some might say how far do you go. Do factor in mechanics/ pit crew and riders families.

Maybe Newcastle are having problems due to past presentation problems cause by the fact that Brough Park is a technical/ trick track.

Not much anybody can do to change that since it runs inside a dog track, same as Edinburgh and many other technical tracks. That's life.

This season there does seem to have been a marked improvement, but last season many meetings were having races with multiple re runs and track gradings which is going to extend the duration of meetings, and decreases the family friendly factor of the sport.

Yes, but the reruns are mostly because of refs pulling riders back for flyers and Scunny riders not clearing the track after falls, or parking their bike on the track. Montie was just on a crusade last year just to annoy, and wanted to blame the track for some reason. Anyway, if we trackgrade more than most surely that is to our credit that we do more to keep it smooth for the moaners. Montie's comments weren't true then and are not true now.

But whatever lets hope that both tracks if they are having problems get them sorted out.

Let's hope so, but our probs are numbers through the gate not track conditions.

i think it should be.. the rider, his mechanic and one quest of the rider, ie, wife or girlfriend that get in for free, track volunteers on the day and the volunteers who helped out at the amatuer meets (most of the time its the same people) who get in for free, i know some who get in at scunny because they "know people", at a time when scunny need all the money coming in as possible it should be clamped down on.

Newcastle feel exactly the same about Sheffield. It's a horrible track unless you can afford a bike especially tuned for it. Anytime we score above 30 there we have a parade around Byker.

I guess the three teams that arrived at Newcastle without the 'it sucks' attitude will be the ones who went home with an away win under their belts?

mmmmm, i don't believe Sheffield is a horrible track it is probably in the top 5 tracks in the country, just because certain teams and riders can't ride it doesn't mean its a bad track

i think it should be.. the rider, his mechanic and one quest of the rider, ie, wife or girlfriend that get in for free, track volunteers on the day and the volunteers who helped out at the amatuer meets (most of the time its the same people) who get in for free, i know some who get in at scunny because they "know people", at a time when scunny need all the money coming in as possible it should be clamped down on.

It should be fairly easy to control most of the freeloaders. Have 2 trustworthy people on the external pit gate. Have the Office Manager provide them with a list of those allowed free entry, the list to include staff, track staff, officials, medics, riders + 1 wife/girlfriend + 1 mechanic and expected guests. Each van's doors to be opened for a quick search for illegals. Job done.

It should be fairly easy to control most of the freeloaders. Have 2 trustworthy people on the external pit gate. Have the Office Manager provide them with a list of those allowed free entry, the list to include staff, track staff, officials, medics, riders + 1 wife/girlfriend + 1 mechanic and expected guests. Each van's doors to be opened for a quick search for illegals. Job done.

I think you will find that this is already being done.

If it riders sneaking 'illegals' in,,, easy, just do a head count and let them in, then dock their pay as they leave, that'll fettle it :-)

If it riders sneaking 'illegals' in,,, easy, just do a head count and let them in, then dock their pay as they leave, that'll fettle it :-)

We used to. :P

• Like 1