British Speedway Forum

With respect to the numbers of riders in the SWC teams, it's always a trade-off between favouring strength-in-depth and competitiveness. Generally the fewer the riders, the more competitive countries with less strength in depth will be, but it also allows more teams to compete on reasonable terms in what's supposed to be a World Cup.

But non competitive teams have no place in the final. A world cup should mean seeing four riders race, not three (if a rider is injured and no reserves allowed). It's really up to other nations to raise their game to compete with the best, not a case of limiting the best so others can compete.

Edited by TheReturn

But non competitive teams have no place in the final. A world cup should mean seeing four riders race, not three (if a rider is injured and no reserves allowed). It's really up to other nations to raise their game to compete with the best, not a case of limiting the best so others can compete.

Then why stop at four riders, why not have full test sides of seven or eight riders? The reason is because the SWC would literally become a 4 team competition.

Then why stop at four riders, why not have full test sides of seven or eight riders? The reason is because the SWC would literally become a 4 team competition.

Because it is a four ride match setup for the SWC, so we still need a reserve. It allows each rider to have four races within 20 races (less if a reserve is used).

Lets be honest, right now the only teams capable of winning the SWC would be Poland, Aussies and Sweden.

Because it is a four ride match setup for the SWC, so we still need a reserve. It allows each rider to have four races within 20 races (less if a reserve is used).

The SWC has used a variety of formats down the years, 4TT, seven teams of pairs, four teams riding in pairs, a 5-team tournament, and as a 4TT with five programmed riders per team. The point is that the format has changed over the years to suit circumstances, so it doesn't have to be run in a particular way.

BTW - a 20-heat 4TT format actually means the programmed riders have five races each, although one of those is a nominated heat.

Is anyone able to send me a copy of the meeting? Just returned from holiday to find my sky box crashed and failed to record....!

I'm quite happy to pay for a blank dvd and postage if someone is willing to help

Thanks

As already stated it is on You Tube and without adverts.

I was away on holiday when it was live, set Sky box to record it, but the meeting cancelled to the Sunday and I didnt get it recorded.

Great meeting.

Poland have a good future with such competant youngsters, and more didnt get the chance to ride.

Lets be honest, right now the only teams capable of winning the SWC would be Poland, Aussies and Sweden.

Er....Denmark? But the point you make is correct with only GB and possibly Russia, if their best riders would actually be prepared to compete, worthy of including as possible challengers.

Edited by norbold

Er....Denmark? But the point you make is correct with only GB and possibly Russia, if their best riders would actually be prepared to compete, worthy of including as possible challengers.

Edited: To avoid making a Prat of myself. :shock::oops::oops::oops:

Edited by The White Knight