British Speedway Forum

Tonight's SWC was a terrific Meeting. It is probably among the best televised Meetings that I have seen. It had Passing, Incident, Controversy, superb Racing and a VERY close and exciting Finish.

I felt that Sweden were worthy Winners - but tonight I reckon that could have been said whichever Team had won, as they all contributed to a very fine Contest.

Only down side for me, as ever, was the bloody 'Joker'.

I did thoroughly enjoy it though.

I recorded it at 7 pm as I was out this evening till 9 and fully expected to see a 75% meeting with heats missed out, but no, thanks Eurosport, just watched it and I was able to see every heat in what was probably the very best speedway meeting I have seen in years.

• Like 1

I could not agree more that the Joker has to go, not just in the World Cup Final but in all speedway meetings. I have never liked it, and never will. It may tighten up the meeting but if a team gets behind then so be it, as using it just gives a false result.

• Like 2

I also watched it this evening, as live, having been out for the afternoon and successfully avoided any knowledge of the result. It was indeed a great speedway meeting, had everything you could wish for on a fair and decent track, take a bow Phil Morris.

I was also thinking it was amongst the best meetings I've seen but I'm also wondering if the fact that it was condensed into a 2 hour slot that made it seem better, we were spared all the ridiculous delays between heats and when exclusions and falls occurred, it just flowed so nicely.

Either way it's good to read all the positive comments in this thread, makes a nice change for us to have something to praise about our sport.

At least the Falubaz fella has been quiet after last night's rant.

Thought it was an excellent meeting and it was further improved by the streamlined programme, cutting out Andy Jaye and Scott Nicholls was an improvement for me. Well done to Eurosport for fitting the re-run into their schedule, seeing it late was better than not at all. ...

• Like 2

Apart from all the ad breaks Eurosport provided good delayed coverage of an eventful World cup that had pretty much everything you could ask for. Good racing , plenty of passing and the odd contentious decision here and there .

Also the added bonus was the form of Nikki P and the Danes losing out in the final knockings.

All in all a good night's entertainment after watching the England football win in Slovenia .

Jeez........Bxxxxxy Adverts after every 2 races on Eurosport......Think I'd rather go and watch some paint dry!!!!! That's just taking the wee wee!!!

How do you think Eurosport (or SKY or ITV) get the finance to buy live (or delayed live!!) sport, they dont rely on winning the euro millions weekly. They would have sold ad space during Saturdays original event which was over 3 hours and no doubt will have had to massively reduce the cost to those advertisers and cram some of them into a two hour slot. A normal BSI live broadcast allows for at least 7 ad breaks

I was also thinking it was amongst the best meetings I've seen but I'm also wondering if the fact that it was condensed into a 2 hour slot that made it seem better, we were spared all the ridiculous delays between heats and when exclusions and falls occurred, it just flowed so nicely.

I could not agree more.

This is the dilemma ... we all want to see our sport lLIVE but Speedway really does lend itself so well to a little 'editing'.

The lack of inane preamble to heat 1 was joyous.

And, rather than moan about adbreaks, the improvement was that we came straight back from each one with the riders at the tapes for the next race.

Whilst LIVE speedway is essential - for the GPs at least - the broadcasters (and BSI) need to think about the gaps between races that just have to be filled with pap.

Reduce them as much as possible. Please.

But surely there are huge things to learn for the Elite League.

They even hold up the flow of meetings to deliberately include extra rubbish between races. Utter madness.

A meeting package starting at 9pm with the crap edited out would be a real winner

• Like 2

Amusing that almost universal agreement on here that a) the joker should be scrapped and B) the reserve should be available for next year. Chances of either happening? Really enjoyed this World Cup, for me it's speedway at it's highest level, I think the intensity and commitment levels go up a notch, even from the GPs. Just a pity about Russia (I know there were some genuine reasons for unavailability, injuries can't be helped) but I can't help thinking they would add so much to the competition with a full strength team.

How do you think Eurosport (or SKY or ITV) get the finance to buy live (or delayed live!!) sport, they dont rely on winning the euro millions weekly. They would have sold ad space during Saturdays original event which was over 3 hours and no doubt will have had to massively reduce the cost to those advertisers and cram some of them into a two hour slot. A normal BSI live broadcast allows for at least 7 ad breaks

From their extortionate subscribtion fees?

I could not agree more.

This is the dilemma ... we all want to see our sport lLIVE but Speedway really does lend itself so well to a little 'editing'.

The lack of inane preamble to heat 1 was joyous.

And, rather than moan about adbreaks, the improvement was that we came straight back from each one with the riders at the tapes for the next race.

Whilst LIVE speedway is essential - for the GPs at least - the broadcasters (and BSI) need to think about the gaps between races that just have to be filled with pap.

Reduce them as much as possible. Please.

But surely there are huge things to learn for the Elite League.

They even hold up the flow of meetings to deliberately include extra rubbish between races. Utter madness.

A meeting package starting at 9pm with the crap edited out would be a real winner

I had the advantage of watching it twice. The live showing was that good I watched the highlight prog.

The live showing was without commentary but with sound from the track, almost like being there and the announcer used Danish followed by English so perfectly easy to follow along with the captions. There didn't seem to be any long breaks between races even when there were falls the breaks were relatively quick compared to British speedway. I missed the opinions of Tatum, who gives a riders perspective but not Pearson. Alsoo we got to see all the pit interviews and had several views of the pit action that were missing from the evening showing, I'm sure we don't get to see as many in a normal live showing and they added to the experience for me. One of Nicki's reactions was a cracker and would have that many apologies from commentators they would have had apoplexy :o

The highlight programme was spoilt somewhat for me by the constant oohs and aahs altho in this case quite a few were justified. Picture quality was much better. However Tatum's comments added to it. I don't know if they were the live comments but he spotted the broken spokes in Doyles wheel which until I read twitter I had no knowledge of.

All in all I enjoyed both but it emphasised how much Pearson shouts and gets things wrong (Tatum corrected him several times). Given the choice for GPS I'd watch the live feed without commentary, ideally with a rider giving comments (don't want much do I :P )

I would agree that British clubs need to learn that long drawn out meetings with long breaks between races really P off fans.

Can we get one thing straight-the Eurosport highlights programme was the live BSI/IMG output edited down to a 2 hour programme-Of course Pearson and tatum were live-they don`t work for Eurosport - Eurosport just take the picture and commentary package as one. If anyone thinks Eurosport are marvellous at editing, they should have watched the last Swedish league match they showed, when in a hours programme to show 15 heats they cut out heat 2 !!!!

Edited by racers and royals

Can we get one thing straight-the Eurosport highlights programme was the live BSI/IMG output edited down to a 2 hour programme-Of course Pearson and tatum were live-they don`t work for Eurosport - Eurosport just take the picture and commentary package as one. If anyone thinks Eurosport are marvellous at editing, they should have watched the last Swedish league match they showed, when in a hours programme to show 15 heats they cut out heat 2 !!!!

Star Lady was pointing out that the Eurosport live feed available on their Eurosport player yesterday did NOT have Tatum and Pearson at all. The sound was just from the track. I presume that is the form in which BSI provided it.

Star Lady was pointing out that the Eurosport live feed available on their Eurosport player yesterday did NOT have Tatum and Pearson at all. The sound was just from the track. I presume that is the form in which BSI provided it.

She also questioned whether the "commentators comments" were live comments- hopefully I answered that.

From their extortionate subscribtion fees?

Hardly.... well, depends what you want it for. Eurosport is part of the Sky package, so technically no subscription fee's there or you can access the online Eurosport player for £5.99 a month, bit of a bargain if you watch a couple of speedway meetings, so not extortionate.

If you refer to Sky, well it's not cheap but I tend to break it down this way. How much to go to the cinema? How much to rent films via Lovefilm? How much to go to speedway for the night, how much to go to a Premier League match? I have the full Sky package, and whilst I don't use it every night, I perhaps watch at least one football/cricket match, one movie and one speedway match a week plus other stuff. So actually it's not that extortionate at all. Plus I have not paid full price for Sky for a couple of years now, got it at half price which seems much more of a bargain, but even full price it breaks down pretty well.

She also questioned whether the "commentators comments" were live comments- hopefully I answered that.

Indeed you did.

The fact they the BSI LIVE feed used by Eurosport did not have them was still worthy of note.

As that is not the norm.

Edit

It was not what those who used the player may have expected.

And the pleasant surprise of it, in my case, could influence my choice in the future if this is given to us.

Edited by Grand Central