British Speedway Forum

Who Was Best, Louis Senior Or Louis Junior?

Andrew was the better rider but Len prepared the better track.

Len was a pretty decent rider in the old Provincial League. I think he won the PLRC in the early 60's

I never saw him ride but I thoroughly enjoyed his book.

I did!!! It was a match race at Rye about 6 or 7 years or so ago between Len & Michael Lee. Lee did 4 laps, Len only has to do 3. I think Len won.

I did!!! It was a match race at Rye about 6 or 7 years or so ago between Len & Michael Lee. Lee did 4 laps, Len only has to do 3. I think Len won.

Damn I don't remember that at all. I must have been out of the country.

I certainly wouldn't have missed that.

I know he had his problems, but Mike the bike was truly the most talented rider I've ever seen.

Topping the national averages at 18. Incredible!

I often wonder how good Dave could've been if he hadn't broken his leg in '77.

There was nothing between him and Chris at that point, although he was a few years older.

He was never the same rider after that.

It's strange how some riders can return from serious injury and be just as good as before. Ermolenko, Knudsen, Wiltshire, and other riders can't.

Must be a psychological thing I guess..

Dave was by far the better gater and, as you say, but for that bad leg break he would probably have gone on to be a consistently high BL points scorer for many seasons - his average was 10+ at the time of his crash.

As tracks became slicker in the early 80s, his trapping ability would have boosted his figures had the serious 1977 injury not already taken its toll (think he broke a bone riding for Wolves in '79 too).

Having said that, he was never once-paced. When behind, he knew how to find the grip to pass people about three inches from the Hackney fence! A great sight.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 1

Certainly agree with the old 2nd half races. Many a time at Foxhall during the Tiger, Shrimp and Billy era we had to wait until the Champion of the Evening final to get the best race of the night. As for who's the best? Just a shame Tiger started so late, and Chris had that awful crash in Poland, so maybe we were denied an Ipswich World Champion, but for a small Town in Suffolk, we'll take a couple on the rostrum.