British Speedway Forum

Go Speed International Statement.

No mention of 'rider safety' anywhere.

Did they issue a statement following the Belle Vue v Poole farce in September 2013?

All we want now is for Mick Horton to say his mobile was on all the time!

• Like 1

What a load of Boll#cks,trying to cancel 48 hrs before event,If you believe that you will believe anything.Honest Guv nothing to do with us!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't be the first time that Coventry management have been 'unavailable' when a potentialy serious track situation was developing.

• Like 2

Wouldn't be the first time that Coventry management have been 'unavailable' when a potentialy serious track situation was developing.

If they are going to start cancelling 48hrs before the event speedway is in a lot of bother.If Promoters follow suit we will be lucky to see a meeting.
  • Like 1

STATEMENT: GO SPEED INTERNATIONAL

Thursday June 04, 2015
gospeed_international.jpg

GO Speed International Ltd (GSI), the company responsible for managing British Speedway’s contract with Sky Sports, would like to make the following comments following Monday’s Elite League meeting between Coventry and Poole.

Go Speed International Managing Director, Terry Russell, said: “Our role is to try and keep all parties happy whenever possible – Sky Sports, the individual clubs, the British Speedway Promoters’ Association and more.

“We were concerned by the weather forecast for Monday and informed the Coventry management we needed to speak to them on Saturday morning to potentially postpone the meeting. Unfortunately, we could not get hold of the Coventry management at that time.

“Our agreement with Sky Sports is that, in the event of a poor forecast, we can give them the option to postpone 48-hours in advance at little or no cost to the broadcaster – and at the same time we would offer the staging club another TV date. Win, win.

“However, once the 48-hour threshold had passed, every effort was made to stage the meeting as Sky were committed to the broadcast.

“The track was fine at the start but deteriorated because the rain finally arrived – rain which had been forecast earlier in the day.

“At no time did Sky Sports have a say in whether the meeting went ahead, if the track had been waterlogged during the day it would have been postponed there and then – but it wasn’t.

“Sky were quite prepared to run a ‘filler’ show in the event of no racing, but when it was obvious the track was fine, both teams were happy to race.

“During the meeting, the steward and co-ordinator liase with the managers and captains and the meeting went to the end of Heat 10, admittedly in far from ideal circumstances. Once again, Sky Sports had nothing to do with this decision.

“It’s a delicate balancing act trying to keep everyone happy – and the fans inside the stadium were obviously disappointed for which we apologise.

“We sincerely hope this situation never arises again – but I would add rain has always been the sport’s biggest enemy.”

Just for those that cannot ESP!!! ;)

• Like 1

“During the meeting, the steward and co-ordinator liase with the managers and captains and the meeting went to the end of Heat 10, admittedly in far from ideal circumstances. Once again, Sky Sports had nothing to do with this decision.

Oh please! One of the captains was due out in heat 10 and sat in the pits instead and his team mangers agreed with the decision!

Postponing 48 hours in advance, ridiculous, You'd never get a season finished. They were happy to postpone 48 before based on forecast but not in the hours leading to the meeting? Ridiculous. It basically says no postponement because Sky were committed to it. Sod riders safety!

• Like 1

I just love the way companies feel it necessary to produce a politicians statement.

It is intended to sound so reasonable and conciliatory.

When it is nothing of the sort at all.

So much so that it just ends up showing them to be tawdry and rather disreputable.

To use the word 'liaise' to describe the scene in the Pits that we all saw live is particularly comical.

And, simultaneously, deeply disingenuous.

It is easy to fib about the goings on behind closed doors.

A bit more difficult when it is actually being broadcast in HD.

Edited by Grand Central

Odd statement to say the least ..why would anyone called off a match 48 hours before hand ? the forcast can change between thou's time .

The only sense they spoke was that the track was fine at the start .

I just love the way companies feel it necessary to produce a politicians statement.

It is intended to sound so reasonable and conciliatory.

When it is nothing of the sort at all.

So much so that it just ends up showing them to be tawdry and rather disreputable.

To use the word 'liaise' to describe the scene in the Pits that we all saw live is particularly comical.

And, simultaneously, deeply disingenuous.

It is easy to fib about the goings on behind closed doors.

A bit more difficult when it is actually being broadcast in HD.

Was it in HD? I thought my colour control had gone, every time Ronnie Russell drifted into shot!!! :D

• Like 1

What a lot of rubbish with Sky trying to cover their own backs. How many meetings have been cancelled once the weather became bad on the day not just 48 hours before when televised.

I see they did not state why Coventry were not allowed a say in the track prep or that the weather conditions were shocking from early on.

They have no regard for riders safety and it's disgusting that riders were fined for not wanting to risk injuries.

Edited by mdmc82

It's clear that the 48 hrs bit is all about money. Within 48hrs then Sky will incur expense todevote resource to cover the meeting, which wil be recovered from GSI/BSPA if meeting does not go ahead - hence the reason for it actually going ahead. However, in agreement with Orion, the track was actually fine at the start and as we all know, weather forecasting is an imprecise business so at that time it may well have stayed fine all night. The thing that sticks with me is the lack of integrity of the meeting steward in promising an inspection which he then failed to do and then the automatic calling off once Heat 10 was completed - this is nothing to do with the Sky money, unless they withold payment if an official result is not declared. Isn't there also no obligation to offer refunds to fans if it's cancelled after heat 10?

Whatever, it was a right royal mess.

I have never, I thinks read a worst press staement in all my life.I have just been gazing into my cyrstal ball, it looks like the final of the play off at the end of the season, could be affected by rain on that evening. No date when it will not rain 24 hours before the given meeting or in fact, any televised meeting can be found.

So just to be safe, we at GO Speed and Sky tv, will ask all the promoters, at British speepway tracks to cancel all meetings forthwith, until we can come up with a solution. The only way forward, would be to find a venue, with a roof, and then run all the seasons meeting on one night to cut down on costs.

They only way we see this being able to be run, is to have only 2 riders per club and just run 1 race per team. And at the end of the night, run the play offs for the EL,PL and NL.

For goodness sakes we live in the British Isles, how many years do we get that we have no rain from the start to the end of the season. I can't recall any, even 1975 when we had the great drought ended up being a rather wet and wofull Septemer onwards.

• Like 1