British Speedway Forum

Cyril Roger Dies At 93

TonyMac

CYRIL Roger, the oldest living World Finalist and one of Britain's finest post-war discoveries, died of pneumonia at his home in Kent last night (May 26, 2015). He was 93.

It was an honour and a privilege to interview Cyril for Classic Speedway magazine (issue 24) some 18 months ago, when he talked fondly of his racing days that spanned 18 seasons and six teams.

Born at Ashford, Kent on December 27, 1921, he was the second of three racing brothers. Bert (who died in 1995) was the eldest by almost two years , while Bob (who passed away in 2002) came along seven years after Cyril. All three starred for New Cross in the early 50s.

Cyril appeared in five World Finals (1949, 1950, 1952, 1955 and 1959) and won league championship with Exeter, New Cross and Southampton.

At 5ft 10ins tall and weighing 11st, Cyril was bigger than your average speedway rider. He was tough and uncompromising, not one to throttle back at the first hint of danger.

He told Retro Speedway: “They were the boom days and suddenly speedway riders were famous and it took some handling. I don’t think I did too badly, I wasn’t unpopular or anything. I always used to give of my best and I think the fans got good value for their admission money.

“And I earned big money at times.”

Cyril leaves behind his wife Phyllis and their three sons, Simon, John and Luke, plus six grandsons and two granddaughters.

Simon contacted Retro Speedway by email this morning to inform us of his father's passing and asked if we would pass on the sad news to the speedway community.

Simon said: "My father passed away last night. The Doctors and nurses did all they could but pneumonia got to him. He put up a brave fight, just as he always did. We were beside him and supporting him during his last moment.

"Reg and Gloria Luckhurst managed to see him yesterday, which was nice, as they go back a long way.

"My daughter Elisha printed pictures of Dad and his brothers together, along with some speedway action shots, that were placed by his bedside. You could see it meant a lot to him.

"The picture of Dad in his New Cross days takes pride and place at home.

"If you could let the speedway world know, as he was a speedway legend."

Edited by tmc

I was fortunate enough to be with Tony Mac when he interviewed Cyril. It had long been an ambition of mine to set this up, it took 3 years, but we eventually got the family to agree.

Cyril was delightful, had a wonderful memory and recollection, and Tony Mac's gentle and skilled interviewing ability got the very best out of the old boy.

It was a day I will long remember, I hope that we get the opportunity to go to his Funeral.

A legend from the days before I was out of short trousers, but I can just recall him at Foxhall.

Sleep well old timer

James

I was fortunate enough to be with Tony Mac when he interviewed Cyril. It had long been an ambition of mine to set this up, it took 3 years, but we eventually got the family to agree.

Cyril was delightful, had a wonderful memory and recollection, and Tony Mac's gentle and skilled interviewing ability got the very best out of the old boy.

It was a day I will long remember, I hope that we get the opportunity to go to his Funeral.

A legend from the days before I was out of short trousers, but I can just recall him at Foxhall.

Sleep well old timer

James

Cyril came to Exeter as an unknown at the start of 1947. He stayed until midway through 1948 when he was recalled by New Cross by which time he was a star. A very short spell as a Falcon but he became a household name in Exeter and still is locally. Sixty years on he is remembered as one of the greatest Falcons.

Tony

And they had their share of those eh Norbold.

Not wishing to come across as sycophantic, but I would guess you know as much about Cyril's career as anyone still living.

As you say...a New Cross Great.

I was very sorry to read this -but glad tmc was able to interview Cyril for Classic speedway-so at least people will be able to share these memories of him RIP Cyril and guess that this leaves the old reprobate Split waterman as the oldest living World finalist now.

I remember Cyril Roger from the Southampton team of the 60's that took the National league title from the seemingly invincible Wimbledon. Of course Briggs and Knutsson were the stars but the team had strength in depth and Cyril was very much part of that.

It's sad that he is no longer with us.