British Speedway Forum

Gerhard Engine

I give up, Bottas is using the same as Lulu bel, he's his Team mate, Massa has the Customer Merc engine.

Same scenario as Fast Freddie on the Works GTR, and the Punters who buy one, thinking it's the same as the Works model.

Just wait until another top Rider blows them all away on a PJR/GTR, and it will happen, as it has all through history, we've got PJR/GM, KARGER, SWR,ASHTEC etc,etc. Only problem is, it will only do 25 races between services, and cost a fortune, back to square one.

Edited by Lord Skid

I give up, Bottas is using the same as Lulu bel, he's his Team mate, Massa has the Customer Merc engine.

Same scenario as Fast Freddie on the Works GTR, and the Punters who buy one, thinking it's the same as the Works model.

Just wait until another top Rider blows them all away on a PJR/GTR, and it will happen, as it has all through history, we've got PJR/GM, KARGER, SWR,ASHTEC etc,etc. Only problem is, it will only do 25 races between services, and cost a fortune, back to square one.

PJR has already produced a one-off alternative. What the specifications are and whether it can be produced in large numbers is yet unknown. The thing is that he and others are already seeing the need to up their game, so Marcel deserves thanks if future engines have a better reliability. I did post a photo of the PJR engine, a few weeks ago on this thread, it appears to be a converted GM.

I should also add that the UK engines are sealed and can only be serviced by approved agents.

• Like 1

I believe the customer engines (or power units) are the same in F1 ie Merc customers get the same engine as the factory team. It's the aero package, and the technical stuff is where the big difference is.

I am not stating this as fact, but I do recall reading an article that said as much. The article was about the plan for every manufacturer to supply at least one of the private teams with engines, the slant on the article was a longer term plan to move towards the moto gp model of factory teams and satellite teams.

• Like 1

my point earlier in the thread .. aim the engines at the youngsters, get them working and they will stick with them.

the older, more established riders (on the whole), will not chop in all their GM kit they have scattered all over the place

• Like 1

Gerhard says in the star today Freddie's engine is exactly same as the one you get off bspa , he says they only make 1 cam and he uses the same set up st wolves as he does in GP , well if that statement is true then this engine is a game changer , watching pedersen on Sunday , he was flying out of the starts and after his first ride where he looked a couple of teeth off the set up he looked a lot more competitive than he has done in a while

• Like 2

I can only go by what I have seen as it looks like Freddie is using bigger rear sprockets than most other riders. This, normally, gets you off the line quicker but the double cam gets you the speed. As the meeting goes on he drops a tooth or two as the track slickens off on the inside & he rides mid to outer track limits.

Getting the ultimate set up must be a fine art as we have Douglas swapping bikes to get points, Porsing now struggling but the NDL lads seem to be racking up the points, against lesser opposition though.

I spoke with Kylmä at Warsow and he said along the lines that FF had last years engine doing faster than last year...

Smaller front sprocket was the thing to have at one point. So not sure if bigger back sprockets mean anything else than a bigger front one... mental games ???

So, a Pole has been suspended, after being caught cheating with a big Carby, who was it who said all Blixt's were the same, so gullible, cheating goes on all the time, just got to be smart enough, not to get caught.

Very depressing - but I suppose inevitable knowing Human Nature and the need to win at all costs.

So, a Pole has been suspended, after being caught cheating with a big Carby, who was it who said all Blixt's were the same, so gullible, cheating goes on all the time, just got to be smart enough, not to get caught.

that was me who said that but he was caught so it didn't go on which the point I made , I know cheating goes on but not with carb sizes unless you are really dumb Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

that was me who said that but he was caught so it didn't go on which the point I made , I know cheating goes on but not with carb sizes unless you are really dumb

we have been checked twice this season , the ref picks a number from 1 -7 and both teams riders of that number get checked . you would have to be really silly to risk an oversize ,

You are checked before the meeting, just change carbs for your first 3 races, then back to your legal carb for the end of meeting.

Always easier to cheat at Home, as you can always get the 'nod' from the machine examiner.

Four new edges per Meeting was always a favourite, punctures after a second ride was pure coincidence.

Always watch which Riders change bikes towards the end of a Meeting, with the first bike being put in the van.

Edited by Lord Skid

You are checked before the meeting, just change carbs for your first 3 races, then back to your legal carb for the end of meeting.

Always easier to cheat at Home, as you can always get the 'nod' from the machine examiner.

Four new edges per Meeting was always a favourite, punctures after a second ride was pure coincidence.

Always watch which Riders change bikes towards the end of a Meeting, with the first bike being put in the van.

first your not always checked before meeting for carb , the SCB are not that stupid , second your spare tyre has to be used and is marked by machine examiner , no other new tyre is allowed in pits and they will make you take it out the pits if you have one fitted to a spare wheel ,you can use a r/r new tyre as the team is permitted 7tyres , this may of happened back in the day but cheating is a bit more less obvious these days Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1