British Speedway Forum

Gerhard Engine

Why is Freddie Lindgren so much faster than Chris Harris on the same engine, I'm sure the engine is still in its testing stage, so why not give Chris a similar engine to see if it improves his performance.

Harris hasn't been using GTR's

MARCEL Gerhard said in Tortun that Lindgren has five engines and none have had a major service this year.

Was also a junior (NL) rider in the TravelPlus fans forum on Saturday who said he has a GTR and hasn't had a service all season.

Jordan Jenkins?

• Like 1

MARCEL Gerhard said in Tortun that Lindgren has five engines and none have had a major service this year..

i think the key words there is "major service" so it has had rings , bearings etc ,it may be a slight step up from GMs reliability but it is not the answer to speedway's ever declining fan base and it's ever deepening money debt and until someone somewhere opens their eyes to where we are heading there is no hope

THAT'S the one ... thanks. It's these bread and butter riders who GTR should be trying to attract. Might be a little more expensive to start with but apparently have proven their reliability over a season now while also, as Lindgren shows, being competitive.

It's a different kettle of fish entirely, but Jenkins has also been doing very well in the NL with Mildenhall too.

I spoke to his old man @ King's Lynn regarding the engine a month or 2 back, and he was very complimentary about the engine.

I think there'll be more riders switching as times goes on but £5kish is a lot of money for the 'bread and butter' riders to find, and I expect many riders wanted to see how it went with the GTRs first.

That's it then, all Speedways problems are solved, no brainer every Rider will be buying one for next year, as you only need one engine now, OK the engine is around £1500 dearer to buy, praise the Lord, now the Riders costs have drastically reduced, the Promoters can pay them a lot less, brilliant answer to Speedways problems.

That's it then, all Speedways problems are solved, no brainer every Rider will be buying one for next year, as you only need one engine now, OK the engine is around £1500 dearer to buy, praise the Lord, now the Riders costs have drastically reduced, the Promoters can pay them a lot less, brilliant answer to Speedways problems.

as sarcastic as this post is it pretty much sums it up but I've been banging my head against a brick wall for so long over this , I posted a easy solution to costs proberly 2 years ago on here but hey ho because of my love of the sport I won't say I told you so when painfully we are forced to change Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Not quite 'all' problems but it could still be a step in the right direction, when you consider what some spend on servicing.

It was meant to be sarcastic, do people actually believe, you can buy an engine, run it all year, be competitive, and it doesn't cost a penny until next winters service, must have gone to the Briggo school of PR, don't believe anything a Tuner and his top Rider spout off.

Might be nice to try a PJR cam in one, with a set of GM valve springs, then up the compression a bit, possibly put in a fancy German piston, it will happen, you just know it.

Edited by Lord Skid

It was meant to be sarcastic, do people actually believe, you can buy an engine, run it all year, be competitive, and it doesn't cost a penny until next winters service, must have gone to the Briggo school of PR, don't believe anything a Tuner and his top Rider spout off.

There was no mention of it not costing a penny but fair enough, you know they're all liars.

Might be nice to try a PJR cam in one, with a set of GM valve springs, then up the compression a bit, possibly put in a fancy German piston, it will happen, you just know it.

And there lies the (future) problem, someone will want to tune one and thus it costs more money and won't last as long.

The best thing about the GTR engine is it has a simple cartridge type oil filter like most modern motorcycle engines that actually collect all the cack in the engine and this in itself makes the engine last longer as there are no bits going round the engine wearing out parts.

A modern GM basically has a very crude filter that does jack-this goes back to the days when the oil went through once and came out of the bottom and onto the track.

Godden's are also developing an engine using this principle (oil cartridge filter) and they are also changing other items in the engine to make servicing easier/cheaper with their engine.

I think most wear on a speedway engine is done with the amount of revs held at the line rather than actually riding it though and rev limiters would stop a lot of wear as the amount some riders rev their engines to is way beyond the normal capabilities of the engine. There are ignitions available that have limiters built in and I know a lot of the 250's have them that I have seen in the last year.

• Like 2

JUDGING by LIndgren's performance at BV tonight they don't need tuning. He says he has spent about 3,000 euros on five engines (general maintenance) this season and previously sometimes did only three meetings before a 1500 euro full service.

So if it's that good already, imagine how good it will be when someone spends some money on it then.

The basic principal with an engine is you can have slow and relatable or fast (powerful) and unreliable. You can't have both, one comes at a cost to the other. At present it's reliability and cheap, but if someone decides to make it more powerful it'll cost more and lose its reliability but they won't care as it'll be winning them races.