British Speedway Forum

Gerhard Engine

What a tease you are Phil

APPARENTLY 'negotiations' have not been finalised so have to wait another week...

Surely its a GM case with a multitude of after market parts inside it

NO connection with GM whatsoever and no after market parts either...

Not what I have Seen/heard. I also heard that BMW have some input/interest in it as well...

NOT BMW ... either

Edited by PHILIPRISING

Toby Kroner was the one racing with a BMW engine

This has to be the future of regular speedway,personally I think it's the only was the sport will survive in the long run

Don't think it was/is a BMW engine.It was built by someone who worked for BMW,but was a private project

Emil was testing it a couple of years ago!

Ashley Holloway is "just" a tuner, and a very good one at that....

His main client is Emil, who uses Ash to tune his GM Engines

http://www.ash-tech.pl

ASH-TECH was established in 2007 and has been at the forefront of speedway engine tuning ever since.

For testing and problem solving we have a DYNOMET Rolling road

After porting & polishing, heads are flowtested on our state of the art SUPERFLOW SF260 and together with the FLOWCOM & PERFORMANCE TRENDS port analysis program we can make the perfect port every time.

We use a combination of the MIRA VGX 21 with centralising dial gauges and COMEC RV 516 for the perfect valve seats.

Valve springs are tested and logged into our database with the COMPU-SPRING PT200 Spring tester.

Cleaning is performed in our OZZYFILTER bio cleaner, Then put through our heated wash machine for a perfect finish before re assembly.

Here is a list of the companys we co operate with:

GM Engines, Italy

X-Ti LLC, Russia

Trick Titanium, USA

PAC, USA

Ferrea, USA

FSW, Italy

Grosswachter Racing Parts, Germany

I noticed Peter Karlsson was on a Gerhard engine tonight at Leicester!

Ashley Holloway is "just" a tuner, and a very good one at that....

His main client is Emil, who uses Ash to tune his GM Engines

http://www.ash-tech.pl

ASH-TECH was established in 2007 and has been at the forefront of speedway engine tuning ever since.

For testing and problem solving we have a DYNOMET Rolling road

After porting & polishing, heads are flowtested on our state of the art SUPERFLOW SF260 and together with the FLOWCOM & PERFORMANCE TRENDS port analysis program we can make the perfect port every time.

We use a combination of the MIRA VGX 21 with centralising dial gauges and COMEC RV 516 for the perfect valve seats.

Valve springs are tested and logged into our database with the COMPU-SPRING PT200 Spring tester.

Cleaning is performed in our OZZYFILTER bio cleaner, Then put through our heated wash machine for a perfect finish before re assembly.

Here is a list of the companys we co operate with:

GM Engines, Italy

X-Ti LLC, Russia

Trick Titanium, USA

PAC, USA

Ferrea, USA

FSW, Italy

Grosswachter Racing Parts, Germany

No, i'm 100% i have a photo of it, i first saw the engine in 2011 on Hans Andersen twitter!

I noticed Peter Karlsson was on a Gerhard engine tonight at Leicester!

No, i'm 100% i have a photo of it, i first saw the engine in 2011 on Hans Andersen twitter!

You may have mistaken that there had been an ASH-TECH stamp on the engine case as the manufacture.

It's never been so that ASH-TECH have manufactured a speedway engine, they're just and always have been a GM tuner

From what I have seen of the engine on the internet, it is not using a GM case, it looks simular, but there are few slight differences to the design.

I have had a real close encounter with the Gehard GTR engine, it's massively different from a GM and a Jawa, the shape of the exterior is very triangular, it only has very precise yet shallow finning, and the machining after casting is ultra fine, it looks heavier, alot heavier, but it weighs no more than a GM or Jawa.... If it reminded me of any current or prior engine, imagine the old upright 4 valve Jawa? But in a laydown configuration... That's the nearest I can visualise. This could be the breakthrough in bringing down the annual costs of competing in speedway at all levels if the testing and amount of servicing, part replacement, oil changing without loss of performance are true........

• Like 4

If the engine does prove to be a winner then it will be the riders that benifit, from all the hard work of the design and building of the engine and the amount of testing that has gone into it. If the service times are what they say they are, then the riders will have an engine that will last all season with no or very little needed to be done.

Will it lose any power as the season goes along, but I am sure this has been looked at during the testing stage. If it does come up trumps, then there are going to one or two very unhappy tuners out there. Sorry to say but we have now come to a stage where the guys with all the money that can get the best tuners are the ones who win the races these days.

It is a long way from the rider who spent his week days getting the engine rebuilt in his garden shed. This engine could be the answer to lots of lower league riders and some of the higher league lads if it proves to be as good as it looks. Hope so because there is far to much being spent on engines for the lowers status riders to keep pace.

• Like 2

I was too very impressed with PKs performance on the engine at Leicester and he said it rode lovely with lots of speed.

Like when Bomber used it in the GP Peter Karlsson found it a little bit less performance out of the start but that is probably just a case of changing gearing and jetting slightly

Get it sorted at with the starting be it a problem with engine power or gearing and this engine will be a contender against the rest of the competition. Not that there are many others to really worry about as GM seem to be the only engine on the tracks now, With only a hand full of Jawa left out there.

If they do get things right, the GM will have to look out. The tuners will be tearing their hair out. Gm will be going back to the drawing board. To see what they can do to keep their strangle hold on the market.

What ever happened to the days when every rider had his own favorite engine and there where so many to chose from.

It now seems that the one with the most money to spend, buys the services of the worlds top tuners, instead of the days where they spent hours down the garden shed trying to get things sorted out for the next meeting.

Are there any top riders left that actually get their hands dirty. doubt it very much, when they have the money to spend to get other to do the job for them.

I wish Gerhard and all who are working on this new engine the best of luck, because this is the product that the grass root riders of speedway need. An engine they can afford, that is relible and dosen't burn great holes in your pocket, spend on all the, tuning and extras that are needed to be at lest somewhere in the pecking order. Be it at MDL, NL, PL, or the lower order of the EL or other world leagues. Hope they manage to get it right.

• Like 1

As a fan with zero mechanical nous, please don't laugh, but will the tuners not be able to expensively tweak the Gerhard engine to give their customers an advantage ?

I was just about to ask the same thing.

If it's as fast out the box as a tuned GM, surely a good tuner could get even more out of it

Get it sorted at with the starting be it a problem with engine power or gearing and this engine will be a contender against the rest of the competition. Not that there are many others to really worry about as GM seem to be the only engine on the tracks now, With only a hand full of Jawa left out there.

If they do get things right, the GM will have to look out. The tuners will be tearing their hair out. Gm will be going back to the drawing board. To see what they can do to keep their strangle hold on the market.

What ever happened to the days when every rider had his own favorite engine and there where so many to chose from.

It now seems that the one with the most money to spend, buys the services of the worlds top tuners, instead of the days where they spent hours down the garden shed trying to get things sorted out for the next meeting.

Are there any top riders left that actually get their hands dirty. doubt it very much, when they have the money to spend to get other to do the job for them.

I wish Gerhard and all who are working on this new engine the best of luck, because this is the product that the grass root riders of speedway need. An engine they can afford, that is relible and dosen't burn great holes in your pocket, spend on all the, tuning and extras that are needed to be at lest somewhere in the pecking order. Be it at MDL, NL, PL, or the lower order of the EL or other world leagues. Hope they manage to get it right.

Doing 3-4 matches a week and travelling the rest of it calls for measures. Outsourcing engine care is an easy start.

I was just about to ask the same thing.

If it's as fast out the box as a tuned GM, surely a good tuner could get even more out of it

I've been having the same thoughts.

Even if someone develops an engine which is as fast as a GM and can go a whole season without servicing, someone else will still want to take it to pieces, tweak it, tune it, anything to get a bit more out of it.

And even if it can't be tuned any better, someone will still want the psychological advantage of believing they can tweak it.

TWO wins and more importantly two good starts by Chris Harris on the GTR at Coventry tonight. Both he and Peter Karlsson have ridden two different prototype engines but Kelvin Tatum has also been available to provide advice, based on his own testing, about gear ratios, ignition timing, etc.