British Speedway Forum

Should Tai Woffinden Ride For Team Gb ?

I find it quite hilarious that Woffinden supposedly reflects poorly on his generation and the sport now in terms of the way he presents himself.

I ask again, whats the worst he has done? Saturday night, anything else?

He didn't let Robert72 shag him after a match at Wolverhampton.

Because I've not followed speedway consistently in recent years, I've never made comment on GH, as I don't know of his recent background or circumstances...but having watched him of late, my first impression is one of massive dope use...he reminds me in the way he slurs his speech and the look in his eyes and face of some of my colleagues who smoke it daily.

That's the impression I get...apologies if I'm way off the mark.

As for people being 'upset or offended'... get a life and sense of humour...

If your little darlings are 'offended or upset'... good...thank god they are safe and aren't being bombed in Syria. It's the least of their worries.

Awful accusation and potentially damaging assumption no 2.

Awful accusation, and potentially damaging assumption. You are providing your mate Rob with all the ammo he needs and coming across as extremely biased.

and anyones assumptions about Tai not caring about British Speedway is just as bad..

I was actually not aware of Havvy's injuries so that explains a lot.. i actually sat there thinking he had a good night.. and if he see's this i do apologies to him and apologies to anyone it may have offended..

but think of an outside viewer.. like i was really not really knowing him or his history that well..

watching for the first time which is what everyone is going on about with witnessing Tai swearing on TV..

Being offended isn't getting a life? It actually shows that some people still have standards. Havvy was badly hurt in a track crash, it has affected him in many ways, you might also notice that he has very little use of one arm.

Yes...realised he'd had an accident...didn't realise it had led to partial paralysis.

As for Standards...I agree...I think standards have changed from the past. However...people banging on about a rider, doing the same as pretty much everyone else his age isn't going to change things.

It's wasted negative energy.

It's a British thing...we'll find the slightest thing wrong in a person and create pages and pages about their faults...yet few pages about the good thing that happen.

i watched the coventry and kings lynn match the other night and it looked like Havvy had been on a bender and was sniffing like he had been on a white powder mission.. is that a good look for a team manager or anyone in the sport..

is darcy being drunk at a meeting any worse..

is lindback being arrested for alleged rape any worse

the list could go on.. but our world champ get a crowd hyped by saying one swear word which i reckon is one of the most common words in this day and age and the pc brigade come crashing down

I'm slightly confused, you continually post that Tai did nothing wrong by swearing in Saturday's interview and you were not offended, upset etc and it's fine for children to hear it, so why in one of your first posts on the subject did you say Sue (presumably meaning his Mum) should have a word in his ear:)

I'm slightly confused, you continually post that Tai did nothing wrong by swearing in Saturday's interview and you were not offended, upset etc and it's fine for children to hear it, so why in one of your first posts on the subject did you say Sue (presumably meaning his Mum) should have a word in his ear:)

i didnt say there was nothing wrong with it.. i just dont think its a massive issue certainly not worth all this hype about it... and i actually said i would think Sue will have a word in his ear as his mum.. i didnt say i think she should have a word.. two completely different things..

i didnt say there was nothing wrong with it.. i just dont think its a massive issue certainly not worth all this hype about it... and i actually said i would think Sue will have a word in his ear as his mum.. i didnt say i think she should have a word.. two completely different things..

Apologies for getting the wording slightly wrong, couldn't be bothered to find the post in the hundreds posted so I had to rely on my aging memory. (Insert appropriate friendly smilie that my mobile device doesn't like)

Apologies for getting the wording slightly wrong, couldn't be bothered to find the post in the hundreds posted so I had to rely on my aging memory. (Insert appropriate friendly smilie that my mobile device doesn't like)

hey thats ok.. we all do it now and again.. nice to see people apologies.. like i did after finding out about Havvy and his injuries which led to my incorrect assumption..

I retain full confidence in robert72, in so far as this matter is concerned. He has responded to jibes and abuse so will surely spare a few moments to share his insights in response to a genuine question asked politely and in good faith.

Ha,ha! Love the irony. Still waiting? Of course you are.

get with the times.. words now are becoming less important and its now the way the words are used that is more important.

Don't know where you get that idea from. Words have a certain meaning attached to them and by and large society couldn't function if most people didn't use words according to their proper meaning. Of course, there is a certain constituency who are content to live in the world of gobbledegook where wicked now means good, gay no longer means cheerful and colourful, must have is now spelt "must of" , and "awesome " is used with such frequency that it now seems to mean pretty average and the there is apparently no word now that means awesome in the exceptional way it was originally used.

Words accurately used are the basis of our legal system, contracts, insurance, science, medicine and basic communication.The divorce courts are full of people who have chosen not to learn to express themselves properly and start swearing at each other instead. 75% of the prison population (i.e. mostly petty criminals) have never bothered to learn to read and write, thus cannot express themselves properly and have become unemployable.

Most of us have been born into the richest laguage in the world, which is why it is spoken the world over . It is the international language of air traffic control for a good reason. If your choice in life is not to use words with there proper meaning then you are missing so much as your daughter will be if she is directed to slovenly speech.

Tai used a commonly used expletive that many people of limited vocabulary use instead of proper adjectives. That's all there is to it. Analysing and trying to suggest there is some great shift in society and that words are somehow not as important as they used to be is nonsense. Words basically mean the same as they always meant, but as always, a certain section of the population choose not to learn them or use them properly.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

Still waiting? Of course you are.

Somewhat surprisingly, yes. I did think he might have blocked my account, thus not seeing the question posed, but then he'd surely see my posts when you quote them. Unless, of course, you too are blocked...

Perhaps someone else could help out and draw his attention to what, after all, was a genuine inquiry politely phrased. I have by no means given up on this one.

It's not a case for all that they chose not to learn or use words properly. There's thousands of people with dyslexia (diagnosed or not) who have problems learning/reading words, which have a knock on affect with their vocabulary.

It's been widely reported that Woffinden struggled at school, I wouldn't be surprised if he too was dyslexic.

• Like 1

Don't know where you get that idea from. Words have a certain meaning attached to them and by and large society couldn't function if most people didn't use words according to their proper meaning. Of course, there is a certain constituency who are content to live in the world of gobbledegook where wicked now means good, gay no longer means cheerful and colourful, must have is now spelt "must of" , and "awesome " is used with such frequency that it now seems to mean pretty average and the there is apparently no word now that means awesome in the exceptional way it was originally used.

Words accurately used are the basis of our legal system, contracts, insurance, science, medicine and basic communication.The divorce courts are full of people who have chosen not to learn to express themselves properly and start swearing at each other instead. 75% of the prison population (i.e. mostly petty criminals) have never bothered to learn to read and write, thus cannot express themselves properly and have become unemployable.

Most of us have been born into the richest laguage in the world, which is why it is spoken the world over . It is the international language of air traffic control for a good reason. If your choice in life is not to use words with there proper meaning then you are missing so much as your daughter will be if she is directed to slovenly speech.

Tai used a commonly used expletive that many people of limited vocabulary use instead of proper adjectives. That's all there is to it. Analysing and trying to suggest there is some great shift in society and that words are somehow not as important as they used to be is nonsense. Words basically mean the same as they always meant, but as always, a certain section of the population choose not to learn them or use them properly.

as much as i liked that post.. there was an awful lot of wasted words in there.. and whilst i agree the english language is being lost.. its a sign of the times.. cannot get away from it and you cannot change it.. shame but true.

Somewhat surprisingly, yes. I did think he might have blocked my account, thus not seeing the question posed, but then he'd surely see my posts when you quote them. Unless, of course, you too are blocked...

Perhaps someone else could help out and draw his attention to what, after all, was a genuine inquiry politely phrased. I have by no means given up on this one.

Really? He never rode and his 'claim' is pugwash that's why he can't answer you. That's it in a nut shell.

He picks and chooses what posts of mine to respond to (basically the ones that ask nothing) so he hasn't got me on block.

Oh and one for you robert72...

http://speedwaygp.com/news/article/5028/woffy-hails-cardiff-crowd

Read that and weep, you are now owned by the man that you are too scared to face, BOOM!

Edited by chris4gillian
  • Like 1

It's not a case for all that they chose not to learn or use words properly. There's thousands of people with dyslexia (diagnosed or not) who have problems learning/reading words, which have a knock on affect with their vocabulary.

It's been widely reported that Woffinden struggled at school, I wouldn't be surprised if he too was dyslexic.

Dyslexia is a reading difficulty not an intelligence difficulty. Some of the most successful authors ever, from Jules Verne to Agatha Christie suffered from dyslexia, but it didn't stop them writing classic books that reached wide audiences.

Tai used an expletive because that's the way he speaks, that's all there is to it. Some people find it unnecessary others are happy with expletives but it's ridiculous to try to explain it as some kind of social change or set out what's right or wrong .

• Like 2

I find it quite hilarious that Woffinden supposedly reflects poorly on his generation and the sport now in terms of the way he presents himself.

I ask again, whats the worst he has done? Saturday night, anything else?

I mean it isnt like he is anywhere near the level of the halcyon days of jolly craicstars like Lee, Havelock, Carter, Moran, Cook and Schwartz back in the day when the sport was played out in such Corinthian spirits, days when men were great....

Or he could involve himself in some race fixing to really accelerate himself to the pantheon of greatness

Think its the 2nd time within a year that Woffinden has sworn into the mic during an interview at the GP.

Seems he hasn't learnt from that experience last year

Edited by New Science

Surely the whole point is not that he chose to swear, we can all judge why that might be, but that it was at the flagship event of the Speedway World Championship and witnessed by, albeit a small bunch, the sporting media from across the interested world. In that context, if one person is offended then I think that is damaging (people can argue what real impact it may have) and not how a World Champion should conduct himself in that situation.

• Like 1

Think its the 2nd time within a year that Woffinden has sworn into the mic during an interview at the GP.

Seems he hasn't learnt from that experience last year

Well when you put it like that......

Nah still represents the sport quite well and done far more good than two swears

• Like 1

Surely the whole point is not that he chose to swear, we can all judge why that might be, but that it was at the flagship event of the Speedway World Championship and witnessed by, albeit a small bunch, the sporting media from across the interested world. In that context, if one person is offended then I think that is damaging (people can argue what real impact it may have) and not how a World Champion should conduct himself in that situation.

You're right, swearing signals the end of any sport.

I remember when I was a lad watching a tennis championship that was quite popular back then, until a foul mouth by the name of McEnroe came along. That was it, the media shunned the sport, tv companies turned away. As for McEnroe, not a chance of being employed in any public role going forwards.

Shame really, I enjoyed that tournament, was it called Wimbledon?

• Like 1