British Speedway Forum

Cradley V Coventry (nl) - Weds 08/04 - 7:30pm

Well done Coventry on taking a point from this meeting. Ellis Perks at reserve made the difference. However, he wont be there long and then Cradley look a very average and vulnerable team.

Yes Perks was the difference, and a big well done to Coventry for going oh so close, and great to see Dazza Ritchings back on a bike, and scoring well. I wouldnt say we will be vulnerable with Perks in the main body, however we may be more average than some seem to think, Its good that we won tonight but had the meeting swung the other way, I think some questions would have been asked about Team manager Pottingers decision to take Michael Neale out of Heat 14 replace him with Ellis Perks, and retain Luke Harris, many on the Terraces were surprised by that particular move.

This Team is still a young team, and Neale and Mogridge have found it harder since their first meeting debuts but Im still happy enough with this Team, last heat deciders seem to be the order of the day now, and our next home meeting is against the Hot Pots from the South Coast Eastbourne Eagles, that meeting will be a big pointer to where the Title will be going, hopefully Nathan will be 100% by then after being involved in an horrendous looking crash in Ht 13 when 3 riders came to grief.

Well done to both sets of riders for a good close meeting, but surely their is more of a riding line at Perry Barr than just the inside, their was little if any drive/grip around the outside.

A point deserved for the Coventry Storm, impressed with the heat leader trio of Crang,Greenwood and Ritchings. The rest struggled a bit but towards the end but we saw important rides in heat 14 from Shuttleworth and Dwyer in keeping it to a 3-3 and a last heat decider.

For Cradley, Ellis Perks superb yet again and not only will he go into the main body but imo will go to number 1 sometime this season. Williamson proving a liking for the Perry Barr track and unlucky not to get heat 15. Clegg whilst not absolutley brilliant more than did his job.

The track for me was a bit too dusty which certaintly had an effect on the racing, dont know why they didnt water it during the track grades like they did in the Cradley/Brummies match, today was much hotter too.The line to ride is what I like to call "the Ben Barker" line, which is right out wide near the airfence thats where most of the passing is done.

Cradley - 1. Max Clegg, 2. Arron Mogridge, 3. Matt Williamson, 4. Luke Harris, 5. Nathan Greaves, 6. Michael Neale, 7. Ellis Perks

Coventry - 1. Luke Crang, 2. Martin Knuckey, 3. Darryl Ritchings, 4. Rob Shuttleworth, 5. Dan Greenwood, 6. Stefan Farnaby, 7. Connor Dwyer.

Well done Coventry on keeping it close. :) So Arron Mogridge and Ellis Perks......do they have famous fathers like Alan and Dave respectively?

Well done Coventry on keeping it close. :) So Arron Mogridge and Ellis Perks......do they have famous fathers like Alan and Dave respectively?

Aaron is Alan son. And Ellis is nephew of Dave Perks the ex-rider and son of Robbie the ex-referee.

Reading one or two Cradley fans thoughts is amusing. It's seems to have just hit them that they don't have a right to win everything and they may not be the best team this year and might actually have to work a bit for any success this year :D As someone else pointed out, you got 3 league points, no need to worry just yet :D

Close,but no passing again.Gate and go.Fill your programme in by third bend lap one.

Not sure I want to spend £14.00 of my limited income if this is typical of Perry Barr.

Were you not at the Cradley--Brummies match then? Can do without your negativity if you're a regular fan you should know track conditions can change weekly---and after dominating the league for 2 seasons surely you're used to seeing endless 5-1s :icon_smile_clown:

£14 includes the programme.

Ah right, does it? It wasn't clear in the post. Thanks for clearing that up.

It is - and it was!

I think most people will feel that Martin's assessment is a bit unfair - but he is entitled to his opinion and I am sorry that he doesn't feel that he has had his moneysworth, but different people appreciate different things and from his comments I presume that he found last season's succession of runaway wins highly entertaining!

In several of the races this season, the riders have been well strung out but we have to bear in mind that every National League club is currently tracking three 3-pointers who are experiencewise, some distance away from being able to compete with their more experienced opponents. This was illustrated last night by the fact that Coventry's two reserves were way off the pace as were a couple of the Cradley riders. As the season progresses, these riders will begin to improve and the races in which they compete will then become closer but this is going to take time and patience.

This isn't a criticism and I think most people will agree that the decision to slash the points limit and thereby force clubs to bring in these newcomers, will pay dividends in the long run.

• Like 1

After mastering the five times table over the last few seasons I'm struggling to add up some very strange combinations of numbers. Putting 1,2,3 or 4 in a Cradley score column at home is a strange experience indeed! Seriously though, to pick up Nigel Pearson's comment, it does make a refreshing change to have a last heat decider rather than a first heat decider. It's clear that we have lost the significant home track advantage that we had at Monmore.

I thought the Storm looked very good indeed and I was delighted that Darryl put in such a goodshowing. He was involved in a few tight first bends and really got stuck in. Glad to see his confidence is still there.

I agree with some on here that Heats 13 and 15 could prove to be our undoing this season. Hopefully Cleggy and Greavesie will revel in the responsibility as the season unfolds.