British Speedway Forum

Lakeside V King's Lynn 03/04/15

As far as I was aware there was or used to be showers? Not sure I would use them though, probable cold water, but hey these are big hard speedway riders :icon_smile_clown:

As the promotion do not own the facility I think it is difficult. I agree what I have seen of the facility it leaves a lot to be desired. In this day and age a grant from sport England could help or think out of the box and share some other local facility for a small charge!

I'm think (not 100%) sure he's guesting at Swindon for you on Thursday in place of Birks.

Should be interesting to see how the the lad goes on a big track!

As far as I was aware there was or used to be showers? Not sure I would use them though, probable cold water, but hey these are big hard speedway riders :icon_smile_clown:

As the promotion do not own the facility I think it is difficult. I agree what I have seen of the facility it leaves a lot to be desired. In this day and age a grant from sport England could help or think out of the box and share some other local facility for a small charge!

Should be interesting to see how the the lad goes on a big track!

Very good round Peterborough for rye a couple of weeks back, dropped 1pt from 3 rides then a 2M exclusion in his other.

Very good round Peterborough for rye a couple of weeks back, dropped 1pt from 3 rides then a 2M exclusion in his other.

Swindon different kettle of fish to Peterborough 29yds longer and longer straights, different shape I believe? Still should give a good idea of his progress/flexibility!

Interesting Statistic Arena 275yds, (Small), Peterborough 367yds (medium ?), Swindon 396yds (large) Custom house 415yds (Big) 450yds (original pre Jack Young) The change in shape at custom House helped the racing so, as I say to the missis it's not all about size!

If there is some doubt about the longer term future of the stadium - as some have rumoured - then I can't see any investment in new or upgraded facilities?!! Having said that, showers should be an absolute minimum requirement.

If there is some doubt about the longer term future of the stadium - as some have rumoured - then I can't see any investment in new or upgraded facilities?!! Having said that, showers should be an absolute minimum requirement.

So what's Poole's excuse? He was complaining about no hot showers there either !!!

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 4

Swindon different kettle of fish to Peterborough 29yds longer and longer straights, different shape I believe? Still should give a good idea of his progress/flexibility!

Interesting Statistic Arena 275yds, (Small), Peterborough 367yds (medium ?), Swindon 396yds (large) Custom house 415yds (Big) 450yds (original pre Jack Young) The change in shape at custom House helped the racing so, as I say to the missis it's not all about size!

Best example I could get from this season I'm afraid, scored well at Berwick last year.

So what's Poole's excuse? He was complaining about no hot showers there either !!!

To be honest the changing rooms they use at lakeside are a joke anyway, don't know if that's the same for all clubs, don't think they have been touched in 20 years. Elite league speedway you say.

Not sure whether the showers have been nicked as scrap by visiting gippos watching the banger racing on Sundays; but there certainly used to be showers in the changing rooms? And just to add that they normally get a coat of paint before each season starts. Changing room maintenance, cleaning them out each week, along with the bogs, etc. (not the nicest of jobs!) all falls down to the often-forgotten heroes of Lakeside Speedway...........namely, the track staff.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

I remember seeing the changing rooms a few years ago when doing a ride and slide day, was quite shocked at the state of them, no idea what some of the riders thought of them especially the likes of Andreas Jonsson who must be used to having something decent, personally I would not use them for fear of being more dirty than when I started, I think you will find cleaner facilities at a tier nine footy ground than that.

To be fair to the lakeside promotion it's not down to them they just rent the stadium.

IF the facilities at Lakeside are as bad as been said, then the responsibility rest squarely at the Promoters door. Like you say, he may rent the place, but they should provide the facilities required to fulfil their obligation.

Its not rocket science, all it needs is a phone call and temporary changing block can be delivered to the door. ...... No wonder our sport is in the doldrums and top riders don't want to race over here. I'm not blaming Lakeside alone for this problem, but the BSPA should've have picked up on this years ago......

Edited by GRW123

And so it goes on and on.

To reiterate, Lakeside does have changing rooms; along with showers, sinks and toilets.

I'm not quite sure to what degree of any substance this issue started from?

Just to add in the time that I worked there, I never heard a complaint from a single rider.

I think the reason Puk tweeted at all was that it happened twice in nine days. Could well have been a one off occurrence at both venues and beyond both promoters control but for a professional sport it's a pretty poor show.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 1

And so it goes on and on.

To reiterate, Lakeside does have changing rooms; along with showers, sinks and toilets.

I'm not quite sure to what degree of any substance this issue started from?

Just to add in the time that I worked there, I never heard a complaint from a single rider.

It wasn't the lack of showers he tweeted about, it was the fact they were cold at both venues

I think the reason Puk tweeted at all was that it happened twice in nine days. Could well have been a one off occurrence at both venues and beyond both promoters control but for a professional sport it's a pretty poor show.

That's true, and nobody likes cold showers, but let's not get carried away with the "professional sport" part. The reality is that speedway has always depended on an army of volunteers to keep it going and has done for donkeys years. Many of them give up a lot of time summer and winter to keep the facilities going . V.O. R used to be on the trackstaff so he knows what he is talking about but the average spectator has little idea of what goes on behind the scenes. Even Kings Lynn needs volunteers to keep it running. Let's not loose sight of that fact.

As you say one rider made one complaint about showers not working at two tracks, but if it was a regular occurance then in the Twitter era everyone would soon know about it. V.o.R says he never heard of any complaints. There was one occasion a couple of years ago when the home side showers were cold and Dave Watt made a complaint which, when roughly translated from Australian was something like " Jon, old chap, the showers were a bit chilly today, would you mind getting one of the chaps to look at them" or words to that effect. Anyway someone looked at them and I understand a new thermostat had been incorrectly fitted but was soon rectified. Unfortunate but it was a simple mistake that people make when they have to be a jack of all trades.

So, very unfortunate, but coincindenty it's happened at both Poole and Lakeside and I have no doubt it's happened elsewhere but not been tweeted. in the grand scheme of things it's no worse than Kings Lynn taking 3 days to change a light fuse a couple of years back. These things happen.

Just to add, a quick check of the Internet suggests that to replace the present changing facility with some half decent second hand porta cabins would cost the best part of £10,000 by the time plumbing etc is installed, which is hardly good economics when the present stadiums future is in the air and a new home in Essex may well be more realistic than some rumours suggest.

Edited by Daytripper
  • Like 2