British Speedway Forum

Newspaper Coverage

It was terrible to wait all that time to get the results.And back in the newspaper days I never had any idea about all the ins and outs of the sport like slick tracks etc.They were either dry or soaked and Cyril had to bring out the sawdust........

Yer ,the Sun going to have loads of London Speedway to talk about in 1964 when their were only two London Clubs left Ii the Nation League compared to 6 in 1949.

And of course, you're not actually comparing like with like as Walthamstow (if that's your 6th London track) was in the 2nd Division, so you should also count Hackney in the Provincial League in 1964, making three London Clubs, not two.

From the 1940s into the early 1960s, speedway was well covered on Sunday by the 'Sunday Pictorial' aka the 'Sunday Mirror', by the 'Sunday Dispatch' and the 'Reynolds News' aka the 'Sunday Citizen.'

Thanks to Peter Oakes the sport does still get column inches in the Mirror & Star (and perhaps other nationals too - Peter could confirm...).

And that includes the National League at times, as Kent has received coverage in the two papers I've just mentioned this year alone.

Too many people rushing to be massively negative, as ever.

Thanks to Peter Oakes the sport does still get column inches in the Mirror & Star (and perhaps other nationals too - Peter could confirm...).

And that includes the National League at times, as Kent has received coverage in the two papers I've just mentioned this year alone.

Too many people rushing to be massively negative, as ever.

Think I count 4 people who you could call "negative" if you take the point they are looking back to the days when speedway received far more coverage in the nationals than today.Seems a fair viewpoint to have,although I for one think internet coverage has made up for that.My view is that more coverage wouldn't make much difference as those that aren't interested in speedway would just flick past any speedway in the papers so I can't see anyone being "massively negative",just realistic.Parsloes going ott as ever? :neutral:

Plenty of feedback on here whether you call it negative or positive but all this feedback should be sent to the media, newspapers, radio, t.v. etc. Let them know that we are all out here and what we want, praise the coverage and criticise the lack of it, pester them in enough numbers and something has to give. Nothing to lose by giving it a go!!!

I did this with our regional ITV news programme in 2013 and finally got them to do a feature on Tai Woffinden.

I did this with our regional ITV news programme in 2013 and finally got them to do a feature on Tai Woffinden.

Nice to see an Australian-orientated rider who is going to miss the 2015 UK season featured in this way. :oops:

Yes...I just kept emailing them till they gave in :party:

Kept harping on about him being a local lad and Britain's first World Champion since 2000 and it worked.

• Like 3

The newspapers, especially the tabloids have cut back on most sports coverage really which is ironic as they have more pages for sport than ever before...it's not just speedway , there are loads of sports out there that get no column inches whatsoever....it's wall to wall football with the odd other sport thrown in occasionally..F1, international rugby etc..

When I was younger The Sun used to have full scorecards from county cricket in its paper...now you wouldn't even get county cricket getting a mention......times change and it's not just speedway missing out....

I do remember the Daily Express Spring Classic though....The Sunday Mirror were big sponsors of meetings....The Daily Mirror had back page reports on the Golden Hammer at Cradley midweek and a back page report on Karl Maier winning the World Longtrack title...imagine that....Kenny Carter had a weekly column in the Daily Star......times have changed for all sports in the national press

• Like 1

I think you are right McH. The question is...What can speedway do to change attitudes?.

The newspapers, especially the tabloids have cut back on most sports coverage really which is ironic as they have more pages for sport than ever before...it's not just speedway , there are loads of sports out there that get no column inches whatsoever....it's wall to wall football with the odd other sport thrown in occasionally..F1, international rugby etc..

When I was younger The Sun used to have full scorecards from county cricket in its paper...now you wouldn't even get county cricket getting a mention......times change and it's not just speedway missing out....

I do remember the Daily Express Spring Classic though....The Sunday Mirror were big sponsors of meetings....The Daily Mirror had back page reports on the Golden Hammer at Cradley midweek and a back page report on Karl Maier winning the World Longtrack title...imagine that....Kenny Carter had a weekly column in the Daily Star......times have changed for all sports in the national press

Football is undoubtedly way out in front now.Over the last 20 years or so the financial power has just grown and grown and nothing really can match it apart from the Olympics.This latest Premier League deal has even shocked the Bundesliga.It seems the bottom team in the Premier will get about 4 times the amount from tv that the top teams in Germany will get.There really is no way a small sport(and compared to football what isn't?)can compete for column space,sponsors and sadly even fans

I think you are right McH. The question is...What can speedway do to change attitudes?.

By proving that its attendances are bigger than for non-league football maybe?

By proving that its attendances are bigger than for non-league football maybe?

Still have 90-odd league teams though.........and then unlike years ago more and more coverage is given to the other big football leagues in Europe.I really can't remember back in the 70s or 80s much being said about German,Italian or Spanish football.That has all changed now.And it seems some European clubs attract more English people than local speedway can.....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29624410

Edited by iris123

Come on fallas... if you weren't a speedway fan already, would you in your right mind be interested in a sport that is less than half a stop from the grave yard?

Even in the glory days of the seventies, speedway was often left on the back burner by the media, when the sport really deserved the publicity. Forty years since, would you consider, as a person trying to sell a newspaper, a TV programme, would you consider putting a speedway-related story forward.

I mean, we are getting beyond our selling place, especially when a recent petition to get Len Silver honoured fetched little more than one hundred sigs. That is where speedway rests right now... and that was the response from speedway fans (ones that are still alive).

We are, I'm afraid, where we are...

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Come on fallas... if you weren't a speedway fan already, would you in your right mind be interested in a sport that is less than half a stop from the grave yard?

Even in the glory days of the seventies, speedway was often left on the back burner by the media, when the sport really deserved the publicity. Forty years since, would you consider, as a person trying to sell a newspaper, a TV programme, would you consider putting a speedway-related story forward.

I mean, we are getting beyond our selling place, especially when a recent petition to get Len Silver honoured fetched little more than one hundred sigs. That is where speedway rests right now... and that was the response from speedway fans (ones that are still alive).

We are, I'm afraid, where we are...

There is much in your Post that is valid and needs consideration. Well said!

Think we have to realise that.And should be grateful for some great local coverage in the press and like I say,the internet is also a fantastic resource if used to your advantage

Like hounding the comments of other Posters for no other reason than you don't like the writer?