British Speedway Forum

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

TonyMac

PC was probably my all-time favourite, but how would he fare on today's tracks that are more akin to a road?

Would that be Craven or Collins? ;)

I already know the answer to that.

Just kidding. :t:

I would love to see Eric Broadbelt scraping the kick boards at Wimborne Road again.

He was 100% all racer often succeeding but, on occasions, would crash trying!

He was the first real thriller that I recall ...and I went week after week to watch him strut his stuff.

A lovely guy who I have had the priviledge to meet several times since.

• Like 2

It has to be the "Wizard of Balance" the "Mighty Atom" Peter Craven. He was still in his prime when he died and could easily have achieved more than his two world titles.

His style of riding was not the stand up broadsiding style of his contemporaries but the modern sit down style using his body weight and movement to control the bike and get grip. He was a good gater but also able to come from the back and to team ride.

How good it would be to see him, not just for the sheer thrill of being able again to see his superb racing skills but also for him to have the opportunity to have a full career and then enjoy the rest of his life.

Edited to add the link to this photograph which epitomises Peter's style, captures the excitement he so often generated and his brilliant ability to come from the back.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204999015708178&id=1025513025&set=gm.658478544275288&source=48

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 4

Anthoney Jones - a second half rider at Belle Vue in the 60's

Probably stood over 6' tall, and just couldnt stay on the bike. Got to the situation where there was a program quiz as to which lap and which bend and whereabouts on that bend he would fall off.

Pure entertainment value puts him as my nominee.

For racing value it has to be Peter Collins (followed closely by Ove Fundin and Peter Craven)

For me it has to be Garry Middleton,not the best rider by far,but for entertainment value,top notch!!