British Speedway Forum

Bspa Meeting With Ukv&i?

you make a good point - its all hyperbole isn't it - they must think we're stupid - its div1, 2 and 3 and no amount of 'rebranding' can change that. Did the rebranding help with attendances? I wouldn't think so

same with football - the Championship is Div 2.

I expect its partly down to the involvement of Sky Sports.....the 'Elite League' name was adopted a couple of years before their live coverage of speedway began and that name is much more marketable than 'Division One'. Times have changed and events need to be made as attractive to their potential audience as possible.

In any case elite means 'a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society' and thats exactly what the EL is, whatever people think about the standard today compared to years gone.

• Like 3

I expect its partly down to the involvement of Sky Sports.....the 'Elite League' name was adopted a couple of years before their live coverage of speedway began and that name is much more marketable than 'Division One'. Times have changed and events need to be made as attractive to their potential audience as possible.

In any case elite means 'a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society' and thats exactly what the EL is, whatever people think about the standard today compared to years gone.

Does that include the Heats that are of National League standard.

I nearly forgot - and also the Double Uppers from the Premier League? National League Riders, Double Uppers - how many actual Elite League Riders only are there?

Just asking.

Which heats are of NL standard? Who can you name in an EL 1-7 other than Adam Ellis who will also ride in the NL this year?

The overall standard of the EL is the highest in British Speedway today. You can go back as many years as you like and pick a particular heat from a second tier meeting and say that its stronger than one from a top division match but the top division will always be the higher standard (ie elite).

As has been said before, many riders 'doubling up' are on loan to the PL from their EL club and if made to choose most would most probably stick to the EL, they use the PL to top up their earnings if they can't get a ride abroad. So its probably the EL propping the PL up in reality.

• Like 4

Does that include the Heats that are of National League standard.

I nearly forgot - and also the Double Uppers from the Premier League? National League Riders, Double Uppers - how many actual Elite League Riders only are there?

Just asking.

not many,,, they can't afford it :-(

not unless they are rich European's, who travel willy nilly over our border's and do Brit's out of work,,, and then swan off without paying tax, it's a disgrace :-(

oh, and btw way, you forgot to mention the double points, double vision and double dip-dabs :-)

• Like 2

Which heats are of NL standard? Who can you name in an EL 1-7 other than Adam Ellis who will also ride in the NL this year?

Ands thats only because he is a victim of circumstances beyond his control.
  • Like 2

Elite - A select group

Premier - The best or most important

Neither is quite right. But the Premier League is an all out lie! But take a look at any sports league, anywhere in the World. It's always about bluffing as to how good it is! in most American Leagues they compete to be World Champions!

i would weaken the pl for 2 reasons - 1) to make ends meet and 2) to make the step from NL more manageable

i do not want to reduce earnings for British riders but DU/DD is a bit farcical and another cerdibility issue

i squirm when televised matches are on and the commentator says "and also rides in PL for so and so". Casual watchers who we might reasonably be trying to attract would just laugh.

I don't laugh when I hear that a new zealand rugby player plays for one team in the npc and another in super 15? I dont laugh when an nz crickrter plays domestic cricket in nz, england and the ipl. Why would a casual observer laugh at a speedway rider riding for multiple teams?
  • Like 4

Surely the best way is to stop them earning money in other countries and more here where they would be liable for tax and can be tracked easily rather than let loose across Europe

Oh please - move with the times. People can work where they like nowadays - slavery and indenturing disappeared years ago.

I earn money in three countries and pay tax in three countries as well. One thing you can be sure of is that tax authorities have ways of tracking you down.

I don't laugh when I hear that a new zealand rugby player plays for one team in the npc and another in super 15? I dont laugh when an nz crickrter plays domestic cricket in nz, england and the ipl. Why would a casual observer laugh at a speedway rider riding for multiple teams?

Although cricket is all becoming a bit of a farce with all the T20 leagues and no one really knowing who plays for who anymore. The T20 Champions League is particularly farcical. Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Oh please - move with the times. People can work where they like nowadays - slavery and indenturing disappeared years ago.

I earn money in three countries and pay tax in three countries as well. One thing you can be sure of is that tax authorities have ways of tracking you down.

Although cricket is all becoming a bit of a farce with all the T20 leagues and no one really knowing who plays for who anymore. The T20 Champions League is particularly farcical.

They get decent crowds though!! :D

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the situation develops with Arsenal looking to sign an uncapped Brazillian.

Wenger calling for 'common sense' when it comes to the issuing of a work permit.

Elite - A select group

Premier - The best or most important

Neither is quite right. But the Premier League is an all out lie! But take a look at any sports league, anywhere in the World. It's always about bluffing as to how good it is! in most American Leagues they compete to be World Champions!

It's not right, but it's not wrong, it's just the way it is. :P

Just noticed Sky have announced their 2015 coverage of the Ladies Netball 'Superleague'!! :shock:

Terrible name! Perhaps if they pick up sponsorship from Campbells and change it to the Souperleague it would seem better. wink
  • Like 1