British Speedway Forum

Barker & Worrall In Argentina

If only some of what Worrall has said is true, I don't blame him or Barker for getting the hell out of there. I'm pretty sure they would have some kind of evidence to back up their reasons. At the end of the day it is their lives and careers on the line and if they think either of them are threatened they have the right to get out. On the other hand if the Argentine version is correct I look forward to hearing the verdict of the FIM disciplinary meeting. I won't hold my breath tho :wink:

But this championship is long-standing as has been previously mentioned in previous Posts

Being long standing is not a criteria of quality or truth.

Previous visitors back n Argentina are Polish rider Jakub Jamrog, Russia’s Oleg Beschastnov and Italian international Guglielmo Franchetti and Bulgaria's Mameev.

Edited by Guest

It's always advisable to get "your version of events" in first as Worrall has. :wink: But this championship is long-standing as has been previously mentioned in previous Posts. If the FIM's Armando Castagna is as suggested is in the the Argentine Republic at the moment. it it so be hoped that he will manage to give an "official" interpretation on the Argentina Championship. and what is happening there.

they obviously went out there to race as agreed, why would they return without racing? Its not rocket science.

Means nothing though.

Everyone gets treated differently and in this case Worrall and and Barker poorly.

as it says in the statement... The pole and russian already had bikes and workshops, barker and worrall hadnt.
  • Like 1

Previous visitors back n Argentina are Polish rider Jakub Jamrog, Russias Oleg Beschastnov and Italian international Guglielmo Franchetti and Bulgaria's Mameev.

I don't recall the first two named having been there before.

I do recall several riders leaving Argentina and making critical comments about safety when Matej Duh had a fatal accident two years ago. I also recall that a few years ago there were two rival championships running against each other.

The FIM do not seem to be in a hurry to return to Argentina after the world under 21 final jaunt.

Although conjecture I think it quite likely that Barker and Worrall would have been in a more difficult position as representatives of the country that has occupied "their beloved Malvinas"

Edited by arnieg
  • Like 1

On the other hand if the Argentine version is correct I look forward to hearing the verdict of the FIM disciplinary meeting. I won't hold my breath tho :wink:

I don't think they have a lot to worry about there. By the time FIM get around to it, they'll both be retired.

• Like 3

First Round (result from sportowefakty)

1. Nicolas Covatti - 14 (0,0,3,3,3,2,3) + 1. miejsce w finale
2. Oleg Bestchastnov - 15 (3,2,2,0,3,3,2) + 2. miejsce w finale
3. Fernando Garcia - 18 (3,2,3,3,3,3,1) + 3. miejsce w finale
4. Maximiliano Westdorp - 11 (2,3,3,0,2,1,0) + 4. miejsce w finale
5. Guglielmo Franchetti - 11 (1,3,2,1,2,2,0) + 5. miejsce w finale
6. Julio Romano - 9 (1,3,0,3,1,1,0)
7. Alejandro Ruiz - 9 (2,1,3,3,0,0,0)
8. Alejandro Iglesias - 9 (2,2,1,2,2,0,0)
9. Matias Lopez - 8 (1,2,0,2,3,0,0)
10. Sebastian Clemente - 8 (2,0,2,2,2,0,0)
11. Jonathan Iturre - 6 (3,3,f,-,-,-,-)
12. Santiago Martinez - 5 (0,1,1,2,1,0,0)
13. Milen Manev - 5 (1,1,1,1,1,0,0)
14. Jakub Jamróg - 3 (3,r,f,-,-,-,-)
15. Alejandro Polenta - 3 (0,0,2,1,0,0,0)
16. Gustavo Curzio - 3 (0,1,0,1,1,0,0)
17. Facundo Cuello - 0 (0,0,x,0,0,0,0)
18. Rodrigo Zubeldia - 0 (r,0,0,0,0,0,0)
19. Matias Diaz - 0 (0,0,0,0,0,0,0_
20. Matias Clemente - 0 (0,0,0,0,0,0,0)

This amazes me. What did the two Brits expect in Argentina? V.I.P. treatment? A five star luxury hotel? Big appearance money as they deem themsleves as true Superstars of the game? Do the other foreign riders get this? I don't think so.

Fact is, that Barker and Worrall have returned home now, after spending ten days in South America, with (as Richie Worrall says) "their money still in their pockets."

Fact is, that the Argentinean promoters are well out of pocket having payed for the two riders' air travel tickets and accomodation.

Fact is, that Barker and Worrall did not honour the contract, which they had signed, that's to ride in the International speedway series over there.

Comparing their behaviour with that of other European riders, who have ridden in Argentina in previous years, I can not recall many, if any at all, who have abandoned their time over there, for the reasons cited by the two Brits in this case. .

As I see it, the Argentinean promoters, who are not very rich, still struggle to overcome the effects of that tragic fatal accident of Matija Duh there a couple of years ago. An unfortunate accident that could have happened anywhere else in the world. Yet it is always used as an argument about how dangerous and poorly organised Argentinean speedway is. But the tracks in Argentina are since fitted with air fences. Not different to many of the tracks in Continental European countries.

• Like 2

This amazes me. What did the two Brits expect in Argentina? V.I.P. treatment? A five star luxury hotel? Big appearance money as they deem themsleves as true Superstars of the game? Do the other foreign riders get this? I don't think so.

Fact is, that Barker and Worrall have returned home now, after spending ten days in South America, with (as Richie Worrall says) "their money still in their pockets."

Fact is, that the Argentinean promoters are well out of pocket having payed for the two riders' air travel tickets and accomodation.

Fact is, that Barker and Worrall did not honour the contract, which they had signed, that's to ride in the International speedway series over there.

Comparing their behaviour with that of other European riders, who have ridden in Argentina in previous years, I can not recall many, if any at all, who have abandoned their time over there, for the reasons cited by the two Brits in this case. .

As I see it, the Argentinean promoters, who are not very rich, still struggle to overcome the effects of that tragic fatal accident of Matija Duh there a couple of years ago. An unfortunate accident that could have happened anywhere else in the world. Yet it is always used as an argument about how dangerous and poorly organised Argentinean speedway is. But the tracks in Argentina are since fitted with air fences. Not different to many of the tracks in Continental European countries.

Well said. It does tend to look like another case of ....poor old Brits abroad...similar to the tales we used to get when British holidaymakers turned up at foreign hotels and found it was not The Savoy!!

Edited by Guest

Well said Bavarian the track at Bahia Blanca is great, better than a lot of the english tracks, pits, facilities and track are of a high standard and they have a safety fence. Barker and Worrall have both raced at tracks a lot worse. As for the accommodation I remember Legault and co causing a bit of damage when they were there and so can't blame the promoter for giving them something basic.

Barker and Worrall was saying in the local press on the 22nd dec how good everything was and they were looking forward to racing?

This is bad press for argy speedway which they could have done without. On the positve side barker and worrall got a free holiday:)

Barker and Worrall was saying in the local press on the 22nd dec how good everything was and they were looking forward to racing?

This is bad press for argy speedway which they could have done without. On the positve side barker and worrall got a free holiday:)

Plus they would of sold the parts and engines they took with them. So not just a free holiday some profit as well.

I don't profess to know all the facts but it does appear Barker and Worrall have done themseves and British speedway no favours at all.

The Russian kid seems to have no problems at all. He told speedway-press.ru about his journey so far, and there is no mention of the 'horror' the two British riders had. He's happy to take this opportunity, and it payed off with a great second place in the first round.

• Like 2

I don't profess to know all the facts but it does appear Barker and Worrall have done themseves and British speedway no favours at all.

What it seems to me is that there is a combination of a few issues. Firstly, feelings in Argentina towards the British are not exactly caudial, so maybe there is something to what the riders are saying...

Secondly, where the hell was the advice and assistance from the Foreign Office and/or the BSPA/SCB to the British riders who were, rightly or wrongly, going to represent their country and fly our flag? If you want to go to some parts of Africa or Asia or a remote country, you can get advice from the Foreign Office about what to expect when you go there, what to look out for, what the dangers are etc etc. My money is that these two riders are so internationally inexperienced that they didn't even think to ask for advice or guidance and that the lack of international street-wisdom is a direct result of the lack of international exposure that British riders get compared to foreign riders who cross borders several times a week. That said, if they did ask for advice though, I'd hate to think what they'd have got from the authorities.

Thirdly, were they on their own or did they have a "tour manager" there to look after their interests, look after the paperwork, and to make sure that they had a base of operations, equipment, support services etc?

• Like 1

My money is that these two riders are so internationally inexperienced that they didn't even think to ask for advice

?

Is "internationally inexperienced " a euphemism for stupid ?

To get to the top in modern speedway you have to not only be a good rider, you also have to be a good organiser , knowing before the season starts where you are riding ,what the travel arrangements are , wha t the money is, who is paying it and what bikes you will be riding. It has to run like clockwork. If these two can't even organise an off-season trip to Argentina it does't bode well for a busy international career. Amazingly they both see themselves as serious contenders for a Team GB place. No surprise nobody has even offered them an EL place yet and both are stuck in the PL going backwards.

• Like 2

Secondly, where the hell was the advice and assistance from the Foreign Office and/or the BSPA/SCB to the British riders who were, rightly or wrongly, going to represent their country and fly our flag? If you want to go to some parts of Africa or Asia or a remote country, you can get advice from the Foreign Office about what to expect when you go there, what to look out for, what the dangers are etc etc.

Foreign office advice is pretty generic and not much use, and in fact doesn't suggest avoiding Argentina at all. The notion that the SCB/BSPA would have any better idea of foreign politics is even more laughable, assuming they were officially representing them rather than going as privateers.

My money is that these two riders are so internationally inexperienced that they didn't even think to ask for advice or guidance and that the lack of international street-wisdom is a direct result of the lack of international exposure that British riders get compared to foreign riders who cross borders several times a week.

Running around Europe is very different to other parts of the world, as virtually everywhere is quite civilised and reasonably safe, and most people involved in tourism speak at least some English (which is useful for people who aren't English too!). It's not until you get further east that you start running into corrupt officialdom and rampant criminality, and where it's less advisable to do things independently.

I've never had any problems in Latin America myself, but it is different and there seem to be more complications in getting things done. On the Malvinas thing, it seems to depend on where you go in Argentina, because there's also a sizeable ethnic English community there too.

I don't think I'd really rely on official advice, but ask other riders who'd been what their experiences were.

• Like 1