British Speedway Forum

Kenny Carter Dvd.

stratton

No I haven't - at times Speedway, for some reason does go in to decline. However there is no way you can say that the GPs have slowed or reversed the decline. What they have done is to be, to a large extent, responsible for the really TOP Riders not racing here in Great Britain any more. As the top Riders have left, so crowds have dropped - it isn't rocket science. Now we are down to the hard core older demographic Supporters, like myself, who will continue to support the Sport until they 'die off'. With very few young Supporters coming along - Speedway will eventually do the same in this Country.

So there you are - you are working from a false premise.

I think pig-headed is the right term for this. There's plenty of valid points made above to demonstrate the GPs have not been part of the reason for the decline. Indeed there is plenty to suggest they have given our World Championship a boost from it's dying days of the old format. Yet, you conveniently ignore those and stubbornly plough on with nothing to support your argument.

Go back to 1994 - the last year before the GPs. The top riders rode in the UK and we were down to 21 operating clubs (28 today). I don't recall this as being boom time for Britain or the World Championship. Do you?

Where I do agree is that league speedway in this country has declined - majorly in the EL. Do I think the answer is to throw loads of money at top riders to bring them back? Well, the Emil Sayfutdinov experiment at Coventry didn't work. Last year we also had a British World Champion in the league. Did this result in big crowds wherever Wolves rode?

Quite simply, British Speedway has to offer good racing, decent facilities at a good value. Can it justify exorbitant fees for top riders without big crowds? I don't think so. For me the answers are going without GP riders and regionalisation. This will level out the competition and free up some funds to improve facilities and the overall experience.

Currently a night at EL speedway might involve watching uncompetitive 'racing' between riders that are poorly matched on ability from a crumbling, weed-infested terrace and peeing against a brick wall in the dark. In 2015, that's not good enough and that's why families spend their time and money elsewhere.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

We must agree to differ BW. :)

No WK.

There is no agreeing to differ.

You need understand there is a difference between opinion and fact.

You are effectively making something up.. creating a fantasy.

It is stone cold fact that the attendances at speedway in the UK dropped massively from 1980 to 1994. Way before a GP was introduced, way before playoffs, way before any of the changes you wish to accredit to being the decline of.

speedway.

Speaking of Stone Cold.. I'll throw in..

And that's the bottom line because.....

No WK.

There is no agreeing to differ.

You need understand there is a difference between opinion and fact.

You are effectively making something up.. creating a fantasy.

It is stone cold fact that the attendances at speedway in the UK dropped massively from 1980 to 1994. Way before a GP was introduced, way before playoffs, way before any of the changes you wish to accredit to being the decline of.

speedway.

Speaking of Stone Cold.. I'll throw in..

And that's the bottom line because.....

"Stone Cold says so"!!! :t::) :)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Not a Carter fan personally. Didn't actually get to see much of him as my team, Oxford, were riding in the National League during his time. What I have of him already on dvd leaves me disliking him as a person and found his attitude irritating to say the least...but he was a Yorkshireman after all!