British Speedway Forum

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

Riveting stuff from Nigel and Kelvin on tonight's live Sky meeting about Saturday's GP. Great interview from Chris Louis with Jason Doyle about his Green Light exclusion. Or did I see Patrick Duffy just walk out of the shower :party:

Why do Sky care about the GPs? Of course they not going to ask questions, they couldn't give a rubbish. You may have missed it but they've barely made any mention of the Polish and Swedish leagues for the last 15 years either.

Dont get Assy take it on the chin!! Fact, you don't know the meaning of the word, and as for the riders attitude you have not got a clue.You say you know Loram who is a real nice person and a world champ i am glad about that.My take is it is should of been a great event, a great stadium great crowd but the track and starting gate was poor.I know a few speedway riders would they be happy? with Saturday night ? i don't know would Mark be happy with that it was a poor show that was put on the other night.?Witcher can only remember Sudden Sam ride thats it,after all the times he has took the p...s. out of me supporting Martin Ashby yet he has never see the bloke ride!!

stop showing yourself up to be a prat! What has the fact that my family know the Lorams got to do with this?? I know one thing...... Mark wouldnt have moaned and just gone out there and rode his bike and used his brain and throttle control
  • Like 2

If all parts of the Speedway world were staffed with persons of exemplary standard then situations like Saturday would not happen.

Or when they did the people involved would cope.

But we already know that that is not the case, truly don't we?

My god, my life following this sport has told me one thing above all others.

Do not expect too much of the people involved. Few of them are ever up to it.

One of the most glaring things that was clear on Saturday night was the total lack of crisis management.

Whatever the right and wrongs of each and every incident or area of dispute.

No one was in charge.

There was no one, no single person in the whole Stadium who could stop the spiral down the toilet, once it had started

Not one.

Pygmies.

The lot of 'em.

Absolute bang on post! :t:

standard procedure? i'm not sure about that ...... It is not giving anything away that evening to apologise (in the way that he has ended up doing anyway) and then to promise a statement on Monday. It needs to be understood that no fan knew what was happening that night either during the racing, the riders' meeting, or after....... and in fact two more days have elapsed since. Comparison of the FIM regulations and the SGP ticket terms & conditions also throws up a big question mark over ticket refunds... and yet there has been no word about this either....... a fairly important subject matter I would have thought.

It seems to me that the Jury are a bit of an unecessary third wheel when it comes to 'determining the condition of the track' ........... and as we now see, they are looking like the patsies...

The fact that no apology was given on the Night, to those who had travelled all that way and had probably spent a good deal of money, and also to the Poles themselves is nothing short of disgusting.

It costs absolutely nothing to say - Sorry.

It costs absolutely nothing to say - Sorry.

Sadly it does if you get sued, and it's taken as an admission of liability.

It is the referee, along with the Jury, who ultimately determines the condition of the track. Not the Race Director, not the people who built it and certainly not BSI.

So this is strategy now - blame the officials. Whilst they hardly covered themselves in glory, I doubt they can really be held to account for inadequate track preparation or one that deteriorated after just a few heats.

And had they refused to sign-off the track before the meeting, what the consequences of that have been with a stadium about to fill with 50k fans?

OKAY, it was the riders who met behind locked doors and would only allow the Race Director, a member of the FIM Jury (Tony Steele), the CCP Director (Armando Castagna) and the PZM (Wojciech Stepniewski) into the room at various stages. It was the riders who were not prepared to talk to the media or even TV which is why none of us knew exactly what was going on although it wasn't hard to put two and two together.

The PZM actually held a press conference later but few of us knew it was taking place.

Cheers for the reply. At least we now know what went on, even if we don't known whose who were responsible..........

Sadly it does if you get sued, and it's taken as an admission of liability.

So this is strategy now - blame the officials. Whilst they hardly covered themselves in glory, I doubt they can really be held to account for inadequate track preparation or one that deteriorated after just a few heats.

And had they refused to sign-off the track before the meeting, what the consequences of that have been with a stadium about to fill with 50k fans?

NOT blaming the officials ... just answering a question about who ultimately determines whether a track is fit or not and officially calls a meeting off ...

NOT blaming the officials ... just answering a question about who ultimately determines whether a track is fit or not and officially calls a meeting off ...

And they should be big enough to make that decision without being influenced by whinging riders and have the gravitas for that decision to be respected. Not sure Phil Morris falls into that category yet. Certainly a baptism of fire for Phil, he must be wondering what the hell he has got himself into

And still people ignore what actually happened on track where there was no indication of riders thinking it was dangerous.

Where the racing was at least good and was getting better with passing inside and out.

Where no rider in interviews during the meeting gave ANY indication that the track was dangerous.

Where the two races prior to the call off produced great RACING.

It's unprecedented for these things to happen on a 'dangerous' track.

BSI's hands are completely tied here, they can't point the finger at those truly to blame, the riders, as that will ensure this will happen again.

I think it's time they look at finding a way of exiting the sport and letting the poles/one sport run the world championship... As they will get their way eventually one way or another..

• Like 3

And still people ignore what actually happened on track where there was no indication of riders thinking it was dangerous.

Where the racing was at least good and was getting better with passing inside and out.

Where no rider in interviews during the meeting gave ANY indication that the track was dangerous.

Correct. The meeting is on you tube for anyone who hasn't seen it and the racing in the last few heats was as good as anywhere with no hint of any problem with the racing surface.

Too much was allowed to be made of the tapes malfunction as well, yes it is unprofessional for this to have happened but when it did there was no need for a near 1 hour delay. 5 mins or so to attempt to resolve and then go off the green light as per the rules, its no big deal.

• Like 1

I think it's time they look at finding a way of exiting the sport and letting the poles/one sport run the world championship... As they will get their way eventually one way or another..

It's an interesting conspiracy theory, but it would be easier for OneSport or their backers to just pay the riders not to ride in the SGP. Regardless of whether the track was actually raceable or not, clearly there was a lot of unhappiness amongst the riders about something.

I'm not convinced the sport would be any better off with OneSport running things BTW.

• Like 1

It's unprecedented for these things to happen on a 'dangerous' track.

I quite agree.

I wonder what Philip's views on this incongruity are, from his vantage point.

From the spectators view it was more like the meeting was called of because of the tapes instead of a possible bad track.... they kept trying and trying to fix the tapes. Then at some point they stopped that and the monster girls walked off the track. At this point they (my friends) knew it was over and out.

From the spectators view it was more like the meeting was called of because of the tapes instead of a possible bad track.... they kept trying and trying to fix the tapes. Then at some point they stopped that and the monster girls walked off the track. At this point they (my friends) knew it was over and out.

Exactly. Dont think I heard even one announcement during the weekend in English. I was in Poland, I get that, but the circumstances were a bit out of the ordinary.

As someone who try's to push the sport in one's country, it all just got a lot harder since it feel the wall I had to lean on has disappeared with the events at Warsaw. I remember Marcin Babnis writing on his website how he had lost his enthusiasm for the sport after 20 years. I was certain at that time it would never happen to me...

a number of riders clearly were not happy with the track.

it is however difficult to know the truth as these were also riders carrying injuries and did not want to make that worse at the start of the season.

I think its clear that a full medical now has to take place before they are allowed to race, i sorry but they cant have it both ways.

AJ, pulled out because of an injury

bachelor clearly wasn't fit, so should have been ruled out

Holder, is understandable nervous after numerous bad crashes, but again you know what you take on in the Gp's

so unless you are fully fit you shouldnt be allowed near the track.

just wonder if they would have been so quick to rule the track unsafe, if it was Melbourne and the title on the line?

i think not

im not excusing the complete farce of the rest of it, we have come to expect it!

cardiff a couple of years ago nearly got called off, for poor track, again they raced so what is the difference?

so any rider who is having a bad GP can now blame the track and get it stopped, why would cardiff be any different?

• Like 5

It's an interesting conspiracy theory, but it would be easier for OneSport or their backers to just pay the riders not to ride in the SGP. Regardless of whether the track was actually raceable or not, clearly there was a lot of unhappiness amongst the riders about something.

I'm not convinced the sport would be any better off with OneSport running things BTW.

Hmm.. one could argue they've already tried that trick

Sayfutdinov and Gollob!

A successful showpiece event in Warsaw could have effectively ended Onesports aspirations.. it couldn't be allowed to happen.

Besides, it wouldn't be a good way to go about things, paying an entire field to not ride in a Championship, One Sport would not look good there... this way, BSI take all the damage, all very convenient for One Sport to pick up the pieces with no bad publicity.

The issue is, how many of the riders were really upset? We know we have Hancock and Pedersen leading the charge.. things weren't going well for them were they?

Then you'll have Gollob (see above). Add in the two whinging Aussies, one who shouldn't even have been riding, the other who is complaining about every track just now.

The lower end of the field aren't going to stand up to those. Indeed one could argue that Zagar was happy to take away a gold medal, Harris silver etc.

I totally agree regarding the sport being no better of with Onesport, one only has to look at the history of those involved in it to see that.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

stop showing yourself up to be a prat! What has the fact that my family know the Lorams got to do with this?? I know one thing...... Mark wouldnt have moaned and just gone out there and rode his bike and used his brain and throttle control

You make yourself look a prat everytime you open your mouth,all i was saying was by knowing a few riders you can see it more from there perspective.The days of riding on dodgy tracks should be gone should'nt it? in this day and age the sport is dangerous anough isn't it.?Or do believe the riders should have to like it or lump it, and risk there neck even more.I would never slag the riders off, they risk there lives to entertain us we should never forget that.

I'M sure Paul would have been instructed by his bosses not to say anything until the in-house IMG lawyers had been consulted. Standard procedure I imagine.

It is the referee, along with the Jury, who ultimately determines the condition of the track. Not the Race Director, not the people who built it and certainly not BSI.

OKAY, it was the riders who met behind locked doors and would only allow the Race Director, a member of the FIM Jury (Tony Steele), the CCP Director (Armando Castagna) and the PZM (Wojciech Stepniewski) into the room at various stages. It was the riders who were not prepared to talk to the media or even TV which is why none of us knew exactly what was going on although it wasn't hard to put two and two together.

The PZM actually held a press conference later but few of us knew it was taking place.

Phil,All this controversy and not a word from the riders to the media or not a comment on twitter ?

Were not daft they've been gagged !