British Speedway Forum

Warsaw Gp Saturday 18th April

THINK you are wrong ... Manilla has a fine track but do you honestly think riders get a bigger buzz about appearing there than the Friends Arena in Stockholm?

Depends on the track! A full Kings Lynn provides a great atmosphere, any full stadium is great surely?

Have you read the para 3 before the one you point out that seems to contradict the one you mention. It may not just refer to the change of meeting venue.

Not sure what you mean by 'para 3'... but I see the rules mention the millenium stadium so they might not be valid for Warsaw.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember the winner gets about $12,000 to about $8,000 and that includes all expenses. That equates to about £1,000 a point for Zagar on Saturday though!

My worry here is the riders took control, they got the meeting called off. So why should we all go to Cardiff where the same track is likely?

No reason why any body should go to see supposedly world class racing on a substandard track. The riders have taken control now the paying public should take control and make it clear that they are no longer going to pay to see sub-standard tracks. Temporary tracks can be made to work, they have been made to work. No reason at all why with a bit of forethought and effort Cardiff and the rest should not have decent racing surfaces

I really don't understand why anybody should want to pay to see an event of GP status on a track full of ruts. People are making a lot of money out of these events, which I don't begrudge, but the fans are expect to be given value for money..

Different tracks are all part of the sport, if they were all just the same it would be boring. To be world champ you should be able to excel on any surface. We are now getting to a stage where having one or two ruts causes an abandonment which frankly isn't fair on the fans either.

• Like 2

Not sure what you mean by 'para 3'... but I see the rules mention the millenium stadium so they might not be valid for Warsaw.

Three paras above the one you highlighted.

Tickets are non refundable and are sold subject to the organisers right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond their control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets. This may mean the change of venue but you know what lawyers are like. They seem to have already changed the number of races to be completed to avoid a refund and valid points for the championship from 16 heats to 12.

No reason why any body should go to see supposedly world class racing on a substandard track. The riders have taken control now the paying public should take control and make it clear that they are no longer going to pay to see sub-standard tracks. Temporary tracks can be made to work, they have been made to work. No reason at all why with a bit of forethought and effort Cardiff and the rest should not have decent racing surfaces

I really don't understand why anybody should want to pay to see an event of GP status on a track full of ruts. People are making a lot of money out of these events, which I don't begrudge, but the fans are expect to be given value for money..

Some people really don't understand.

We keep getting quotes along the lines of "We want the best race tracks..", "People don't want to see temporary tracks"

NO THEY DON'T.

That's why Cardiff gets 40,000+, why Warsaw was 50,000 + and why Bydgoszcz was about 3,000.

What did ruts have to do with the green light? Nothing at all. Yet the riders 'took control' then over something they should have been getting on with causing an unnecessary delay to the paying spectators.

Why was the track safe for Heat 12, then suddenly not safe the race after? Quite simple, riders greed. We've done enough now, we haven't got to bother coming back tomorrow. Sod the public.

Again, you keep referring to a track 'full of ruts'.... why, if that was the case, was there some good racing in Heats 11 & 12, NOT caused by 'ruts'. There was some decent racing earlier in the meeting too. Bomber passing the World Champ for one... oh wait? Who was leading the protests? Can't be having that can we!

There was little wrong with that track. The riders didn't want to know (or a couple of the old guard who run the show didn't anyway) once it went to a green light start.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Three paras above the one you highlighted.

Tickets are non refundable and are sold subject to the organisers right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond their control without being obliged to refund monies or exchange tickets. This may mean the change of venue but you know what lawyers are like. They seem to have already changed the number of races to be completed to avoid a refund and valid points for the championship from 16 heats to 12.

Ah yes - got your point. Interesting case....

It's also interesting that they can change the rulebook during an event.... I think all points should be set to zero and start over in Tampere. This is not right as 12 heats are enough....

(I did not highlight it by the way, got it from Facebook, but doesn't matter haha)

Edited by DutchGrasstrack
  • Like 1

The comments from 'Super Nicki P' who was at the meeting are very disappointing. Promoters leaving the fans in the dark for that length of time is a real disgrace and shows no respect whatsoever for the people who have paid their wages. Add to that the fact that a major broadcaster In Eurosport clearly had been given no idea what was going on. Parading Gollob at the end of the meeting could be interpreted as a cynical way of trying to keep the majority of the fans on board to prevent trouble flaring. Finally, if some reports on here are accurate that the refund rules have changed from Heat 16 to Heat 12, it doesn't take much of a conspiracy theorist to ask how they can trust this promotion in future.

The night was a fiasco but the issues above coupled with BSI's reluctance to make any statement do make you wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye.

A lot of damage was done to the sport's ailing reputation on Saturday night and the Promoters need to recognise that and make some gesture especially to those that parted with their cash to attend the meeting.

• Like 1

It's also interesting that they can change the rulebook during an event.... I think all points should be set to zero and start over in Tampere.

(I did not highlight it by the way, got it from Facebook, but doesn't matter haha)

Would agree with that

SO does a third division football ground compare with Wembley. And what about spectators... KL or Cardiff? Chalk and cheese.

So spend a little more time getting things right, get in these venues a little earlier, unless the powers that be are looking to scrimp a bit and lay it in the shortest time possible to make maximum profit, in which case its false economy. Give the track time to bed in, then you won't have the problem. As for the start gate shambles, make sure you have 2 of everything, not just a starting gate mechanisum. To me that looked like a brand new start gate mechanisum at Warsaw. they need to be checked and checked again.. give the poles a wipe before every race. You really need to sort this, as its making Speedway look a laughing stock. The venues maybe nice, but if the stage is not there your wasting your time.

• Like 1

I go to watch speedway, 4 riders racing around a race track. The 16 best riders in the World. Nothing about it being the best track in the World - they stopped doing that years ago, hell we have Prague FFS, thats a permanent track but it's crap. I bet we saw more passing in 12 heats in Warsaw this weekend that we'll see in 23 in Prague in 5 weeks time.

It's also interesting that they can change the rulebook during an event.... I think all points should be set to zero and start over in Tampere.

What rule did they change? And why should points be set to zero? Setting points back to zero would be, changing the rule book during the competition!

Some people really don't understand.

We keep getting quotes along the lines of "We want the best race tracks..", "People don't want to see temporary tracks"

NO THEY DON'T.

That's why Cardiff gets 40,000+, why Warsaw was 50,000 + and why Bydgoszcz was about 3,000.

What did ruts have to do with the green light? Nothing at all. Yet the riders 'took control' then over something they should have been getting on with causing an unnecessary delay to the paying spectators.

Why was the track safe for Heat 12, then suddenly not safe the race after? Quite simple, riders greed. We've done enough now, we haven't got to bother coming back tomorrow. Sod the public.

Again, you keep referring to a track 'full of ruts'.... why, if that was the case, was there some good racing in Heats 11 & 12, NOT caused by 'ruts'. There was some decent racing earlier in the meeting too. Bomber passing the World Champ for one... oh wait? Who was leading the protests? Can't be having that can we!

There was little wrong with that track. The riders didn't want to know (or a couple of the old guard who run the show didn't anyway) once it went to a green light start.

Spot on.